Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Newfoundland Moose

WoodMoose

I had the chance to go to Newfoundland this past fall due to cancellations from folks not getting covid vaccine or not wanting to go through the hoops needed to cross the border last fall when it reopened. So main goal was a caribou (another thread) but each afternoon we'd look for moose. Got a caribou on the second to last day, so the last day (Friday) was a moose day. We hiked into an area to get to an observation hill and on the way in we saw a young moose (called it a forkie) - if I could have got a shot I'd a taken him, as I was mainly meat hunting. But he turned and went away offering no shot. So we went the last 100 yards to the top of the hill and there he was. He ignored our calls and moved almost 800 yards farther away, but then we started the "fighting moose" routine. He couldn't stand that and started our way. The fog rolled back in and we lost sight of him and then he appeared at 200 yards downhill. End of mission - a little bigger than the forkie. I'll take "lucky over good" any day

IMG_1813.JPG

I had the chance to go to Newfoundland this past fall due to cancellations from folks not getting covid vaccine or not wanting to go through the hoops needed to cross the border last fall when it reopened. So main goal was a caribou (another thread) but each afternoon we'd look for moose. Got a caribou on the second to last day, so the last day (Friday) was a moose day. We hiked into an area to get to an observation hill and on the way in we saw a young moose (called it a forkie) - if I could have got a shot I'd a taken him, as I was mainly meat hunting. But he turned and went away offering no shot. So we went the last 100 yards to the top of the hill and there he was. He ignored our calls and moved almost 800 yards farther away, but then we started the "fighting moose" routine. He couldn't stand that and started our way. The fog rolled back in and we lost sight of him and then he appeared at 200 yards downhill. End of mission - a little bigger than the forkie. I'll take "lucky over good" any day

View attachment 216711
Who was your outfitter? Would you use them again? Looking at Newfoundland in 3-5 years

View attachment 216711

Congratulations on your bulls!

I hunted Newfoundland 3 years ago for a combination moose and caribou. We didn't see any caribou and the best bull moose that we saw was across the river from my unit. I turned down 3 bull moose in my unit because all their antlers were smaller than the two Shiras bulls that I shot here in Montana.

View attachment 216711
Nice bull!

Who was your outfitter? Would you use them again? Looking at Newfoundland in 3-5 years
I am in the beginning stages of looking for a reputable outfitter for a 2024 Moose Hunt.
This is the first time that myself or my family has done anything like this.
Does anyone have any good recommendations on outfitters that won't completely break the bank? Guided or Unguided suggestions are welcome.
I have been in touch with a couple, but there are alot of options out there.
Thanks,

I am in the beginning stages of looking for a reputable outfitter for a 2024 Moose Hunt.
This is the first time that myself or my family has done anything like this.
Does anyone have any good recommendations on outfitters that won't completely break the bank? Guided or Unguided suggestions are welcome.
I have been in touch with a couple, but there are alot of options out there.
Thanks,
Do a fly out hunt if you want to see more animals and larger animals. You will get what you pay for most of the time. I hunted with Ironbound and we saw tons of moose we went 8 for 8 with 7 taken within the first two or three days. Most were in the 40 inch class. I did see one giant and they have them. Saw a giant woodland caribou as well that probably was B&C.

Back