Newfoundland Moose?

Thumper

Aksai, Kazakhstan via Covington Louisiana
for the past three years i have been working on a moose hunt up in Newfee, and it is coming together this fall thanks to a newfee from the rock that works in my group.
Anyone had the chance to hunt moose or bear on the rock? tell me about it.
thanks

Well, I've not hunted there, but have read about the moose hunting. Its a very high success area, but for the small version of a moose. I read about bear there too, but forgot the details.

Does your work buddy have a good deal set up? You still have to have a guide, is that right? Its Canada.

Thanks mate. I do have an official local guide as he works for me here. Damn the luck. The bears are known to be large, but I will not second guess. Will have an OTC tag on them plus a moose bull tag. My mate is on the big bulls and in the past 6t seasons has taken nothing under 48' and a few over 60 with one going under 70 at 69 5/8.
Figure we will see how it goes. Still biting my lip over the missed griz hunt... But figure i am doing the job and still supporting my Lion hounds, 3 homes and family. Just can not afford gas.... or fuel for the mighty F-350
th.ump

newfoundland moose

I went up last fall with 3 otherhunters , We were all successful , I harvested a 4 year old bull , 39" 11 point seeen bigger after my Kill. The biggest from our group was 46"

Last edited:
Newfie Moose

Thumper...I have hunted the Rock several times. Primarily for Woodland Caribou, but also for moose....never bear hunted there. You'll need a great pair of near-knee high rubber boots that you can do a lot of walking in.
It's a great place to hunt...I have always had good success there. In fact, on my last trip I got a B&C Record Book Caribou and a nice sized bull moose.

Good luck to you.......................:hump:

Hey thumper, I was up there last Oct, down in the southwest corner (South Branch area). Seen several moose (around 25+) there that week (13th-17th). There were 5 hunters in our camp, 4 went home with meat, the one guy passed on 17 because he wanted a 45"er. Most of the outfitters do the sit and call method, if you get into the mountain areas, they do spot and stalk. It's quite an adventure. The meat is GREAT!, I still have about 5/8 of a upright freezer full. Good Luck if you go.

My friend just got back from a Maine depradation hunt for moose. Not a huge bull - about 45 inches, I think. But the moose burgers he barbecued for us yesterday were sure good....in, fact, great! I guess he'd been feeding on cauliflower and broccoli. (The moose - not my friend.)

Last edited:
Back