Newbie..mountain rifle

I have a Kimber Mountain Ascent (.300 WSM) on order. I'm getting ready to order a Savage 111 (probably in .270) in the next month or so. I will probably also try out a Howa Alpine as well because that extra weight (of a normal rifle) is a killer. And I like things that go boom :D

I have a Remington Model 7 FS in 7mm-08. I bought it in the later 80's and they aren't made anymore. It weighs 5 1/4 pounds out of the box. Fitted with a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 and Leupold rings, complete with sling and 5 rounds, it weighs in at 6 1/2 pounds. 18.5" barrel. And it shoots better than it should for being so light. It can shoot under 1.5" with most ammo I've tried. This model is likely the very first lightweight rifle, a decade or more before they became somewhat popular!

Every now & then one appears on Gunbroker. While I've hunted with the one in 7mm-08, I also bought one 10 or more years later in 308. This gun is in mint condition and now has a Zeiss Terra 3-9 on it after I replaced the Leupold VX3 1.5-5 on it. I didn't care for the 5x being the high power was all, but I regret parting with it now. The good thing is that a great friend bought it and I know that he'll be killin' stuff with it! :)

Another option I own, for a bit more reach, is a Remington Model 7 in 7mm SAUM. I found a fiberglass stock on ebay that was glass bedded. I painted the stock with a stone paint from Lowes that is gray with flecks of white & black. Its rough and looks good, although my technique wasn't perfect. The gun has a Leupold 3.5-10 VX3 on it; soon to be replaced with a Leupold VX3i with CDS in 3.5-10. It shoots Fereral Permiums loaded with 160 grain Partitions very well. It even accounted for a bull moose in Newfoundland this past October!

I have other mountain rifle options as well, however, mostly they roam NYS Adirondacks in pursuit of whitetail bucks. My Western hunts for elk usually involve my Matthews compound!

Last edited:
I have a Kimber Mountain Ascent in .270 and a Leupold 2.5x8 scope and a paracord sling. With ammo it is right about 6.5 lbs. I really like the setup. It has killed a nice muley buck and a mountain goat. I have a friend with the Kimber Adirondack in .308 (4lbs 13oz) bare bones and he loves it.

As others have said, only go with a lighter weight setup if you still can shoot it well.

Also, if you are even 10 lbs overweight or not in strong shape for hiking, you would be way better off to work on your fitness and not worry about the extra weight of a heavy rifle.

Good luck with your MT tags!

I'm a noob to Western big game.

My 2016 MT NR combo looks to be a guarantee although maybe shouldn't count my chickens.

Anyway, I've got a great 300 win mag with good optics that I'm very comfortable with. Thing is a tank though, 9 lbs easy. I know that heaving my way up a mountain/hillside, I'll be happy to have that heavy implement if I ever get to look down the scope.

This is THE gun I'll be using but I am curious if you guys who live and breath western elk/deer/bear, etc. are lightweight mountain rifle proponents? Not second guessing, just curious.

I really like my Tikka T3 Lite for mountain/backcountry hunts. I carry a browning x bolt w/ a 26" barrel for all my "truck hunts".

I've been pretty happy with the Kimber MT in 308 I picked up 4 years ago. Haven't hunted with much else since. It shoots as well as I can. Thinking about unloading a few from the closet and picking up a couple more Kimbers.

I've been pretty happy with the Kimber MT in 308 I picked up 4 years ago. Haven't hunted with much else since. It shoots as well as I can. Thinking about unloading a few from the closet and picking up a couple more Kimbers.

They do carry well......

I have a Kimber Mountain Ascent in .270 and a Leupold 2.5x8 scope and a paracord sling. With ammo it is right about 6.5 lbs. I really like the setup. It has killed a nice muley buck and a mountain goat. I have a friend with the Kimber Adirondack in .308 (4lbs 13oz) bare bones and he loves it.

As others have said, only go with a lighter weight setup if you still can shoot it well.

Also, if you are even 10 lbs overweight or not in strong shape for hiking, you would be way better off to work on your fitness and not worry about the extra weight of a heavy rifle.

Good luck with your MT tags!

Thanks!

I weighed gun/scope and its in at 10 lbs. Kimber 300 win mag with Nikon prostaff 5 3.5-14 x50.

I think the loss of 10# off of me would actually hinder getting up the mountain, not help. I'm in decent shape and am not a big guy. Always working on the fitness but certainly have started hitting the hills. I'm in appalachia, so finding decent hills to run/hike hard up isn't hard.

Maybe I'll find a reason to dive in on one of these mountain specific guns. Lots of good options out there as everyone has demonstrated.

Thanks!

I weighed gun/scope and its in at 10 lbs. Kimber 300 win mag with Nikon prostaff 5 3.5-14 x50.

I think the loss of 10# off of me would actually hinder getting up the mountain, not help. I'm in decent shape and am not a big guy. Always working on the fitness but certainly have started hitting the hills. I'm in appalachia, so finding decent hills to run/hike hard up isn't hard.

Maybe I'll find a reason to dive in on one of these mountain specific guns. Lots of good options out there as everyone has demonstrated.

If you do get a lighter gun, be sure not to screw it up with a big scope. 3-9X40 is plenty. No need for 50mm objectives in the mountains.

84M's are about as addictive as crack. Once you carry one for a while, it is hard to stop.

I picked up a Tikka T3 Superlite last weekend in 300 WM. 5lbs 14oz for the bare rifle. It took me awhile to decide between that and the Kimber Montana in 300 WSM, but in the end I couldn't justify the additional expense for the Kimber based on the hit or miss reviews I was reading. I liked the feel of the 84M and 84L Kimbers a lot more then I liked the feel of the 8400's.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back