Newbie Grouse Hunting

mxracer317

Warning: Super newbie question.

I'm headed out hunting elk tomorrow, and my buddy told me to throw in a shotgun for the Dusky and Ruffed grouse.

I'm a total NEWBIE when it comes to grouse hunting. I hunted ducks and geese a few years ago and that's my extent of experience with birds.

I've hunted grouse a few times as a teenager with a .22lr.

Embarrassed to admit that I have these 12gauges -Benelli Montefeltro and SBE3 but haven't really used them for much bird hunting, and definitely not grouse yet.

So humbly I'm asking for some recommendations.

Which one would be the better choice to use?

Both are fine. Assuming the monte is lighter, I’d pack that. I like a modified choke and 1.25 oz loads of 5s or 6s. Most use more open chokes and lighter loads than I do I think though.

Both are fine. Assuming the monte is lighter, I’d pack that. I like a modified choke and 1.25 oz loads of 5s or 6s. Most use more open chokes and lighter loads than I do I think though.
Thank you!

This ok?

Attachments

• 7658D7EA-087F-4085-AF72-A79A7B952263.jpeg
    7658D7EA-087F-4085-AF72-A79A7B952263.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
I’ve been wanting a montefeltro for a while so that’s my choice. That ammo you have will work. I use 6 shot with a skeet choke in my 12 gauge for grouse. I bought a couple boxes recently and wanted to get a box of 6s and a box of 7.5s as I’ve been thinking about switching, but they were out of the 7.5s
Good luck

I have the montefeltro and love it! Those loads might rock your world a bit on the benelli but you probably won't be shooting a ton of shots as you might in a big pheasant hunt.

Back