New X Bolt .300 WSM

How are you planning to mount the scope? I have a hell's canyon in 300wsm with medium talleys and have been having issues with empty cases hitting the windage knob and falling back into the ejection port. Been trying to figure out my best option to resolve this. It's a vx5hd also
Thanks for that. I’ve got what sounds like the same Talleys that you have. 30 MM, medium height, one piece base and rings. I’ve not got the scope yet but will soon. I got the Talleys from Midway and may end up sending them back. Do you think a rail and rings would cause the same issue?

Thanks for that. I’ve got what sounds like the same Talleys that you have. 30 MM, medium height, one piece base and rings. I’ve not got the scope yet but will soon. I got the Talleys from Midway and may end up sending them back. Do you think a rail and rings would cause the same issue?
I don't know, my brain has gone numb trying to figure out the best option. There's nothing wrong with the gun that I know of, it's just the choice of scope, which I don't really want to change and I'm hesitant on going with high rings if that'll fit me let alone solve the issue. I think im going to try high rings and then possibly a rail of some sort if that don't work. Otherwise I guess I'll have to get a different scope. I did read where a guy said you can file a part of the extractor to launch the cases lower. I think that's last resort. Would really hate to get rid of the gun over this.

I also have an X-bolt in 300WSM with a VX-5 HD scope. Got my first bull at 435 Yds on 5X power. Love everything about it, both rifle and scope. I used the Talley X-bolt Low Rings and they fit well. Have not had the ejection issue you mentioned, Loves to sling Federal Terminal Ascent 200Gr.

just saying its not stainless,,the inside of the barrel is not ceracoted
I know there are different schools of thought but overcleaning the barrel will reduce the life. Sure, wipe the exterior with oil but otherwise shoot until the groups open up unless you've been in bad weather and water down the barrel.

I also have an X-bolt in 300WSM with a VX-5 HD scope. Got my first bull at 435 Yds on 5X power. Love everything about it, both rifle and scope. I used the Talley X-bolt Low Rings and they fit well. Have not had the ejection issue you mentioned, Loves to sling Federal Terminal Ascent 200Gr.
So you’re using the low one piece base/rings combo? No problem with clearing the 44mm objective?

So you’re using the low one piece base/rings combo? No problem with clearing the 44mm objective?
I am fairly certain that I am using the low. My email shows that I bought and returned the mediums from Midway and then afterwards that I bought the lows from another seller. I looked for markings on the mounts and could not find any, but I did measure (pic attached).

Attachments

• IMG_1155.jpg
    IMG_1155.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1150.jpg
    IMG_1150.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
I am fairly certain that I am using the low. My email shows that I bought and returned the mediums from Midway and then afterwards that I bought the lows from another seller. I looked for markings on the mounts and could not find any, but I did measure (pic attached).
Thanks! Yours looks exactly how I want mine to look. Ordered my scope today from schmalts. I’ll loosely mount it with my mediums and if they appear to be higher than yours, I’ll exchange for the low if it effect eye/scope alignment negatively. Thanks again. This helps.

I have had four X-Bolts. All were fantastic. I finally settled on two that I have developed a fondness for the cartridge. Both will shoot 1/2" @100 yds, sometimes better every time out, if I am not shooting in lots of wind.
They are easy to load for, carry well, perfect weight for me, and fit me well. Both have taken multiple game animals over 500 and 600 yds.
My favorite rifles... and I have shot quite a few in the last 45 years.
I seem to compare all other rifles to the standard of the X-Bolts.
It's great that in this age we have a good selection of great quality, great shooting firearms right out of the box. It is also pretty great when one finds the rifle that just suits him.

just picked up a xbolt hells canyon speed in 6.5. Excited to gets some rounds through, love the feel of the rifle and the trigger but its just a bit heavy for me. Have an mcarbo spring on the way but from reading instructions on the website it says to clean overspray on the sear pin. Has anyone had much over spray on the pin? I can see how the cerakote could really get on there.

Dont intend to hijack the thread, but i was curious about the whole "dura-touch" debacle with the x bolt. In the past, every x-bolt (an BAR for that matter) with that finish felt overly sticky and ive even seen used ones that looked and felt like gorilla glue was spilled on them.

Seeing as though i cant find one on the shelf anywhere these days, i thought id ask yall. Did they correct this- specifically on the standard "compsite stalker" stock?

Dont intend to hijack the thread, but i was curious about the whole "dura-touch" debacle with the x bolt. In the past, every x-bolt (an BAR for that matter) with that finish felt overly sticky and ive even seen used ones that looked and felt like gorilla glue was spilled on them.

Seeing as though i cant find one on the shelf anywhere these days, i thought id ask yall. Did they correct this- specifically on the standard "compsite stalker" stock?
My understanding is that Browning did some type of recall on rifles and shotguns with the Duratouch finish. The stocks were replaced for free and Browning severed ties with the Duratouch company. This was the result of litigation on behalf of those who were having issues with the Duratouch stocks. I think some Browning owners are not aware of this recall but Browning will correct the issue if contacted. The new Browning's don't have the Duratouch finish, not sure what year they switched.

No sir, not a typo at all. It was an 11 month wait time. Some other places had the rifle but the price wasn’t as good and they weren’t local. I try to buy local when I can. I think it’s good to support those who support your community and whom you’ve built up a relationship with. Sometimes you can’t do that but I try. The spring wasn’t a bad install at all. I’m not the most mechanically inclined guy but I watched the video on Mcarbo’s site a few times and just did it. I used a 3/16” punch and small awl to pry the spring out. There’s two videos on the Mcarbo site and I did my install as demonstrated in the shorter video. The longer video shows removing the trigger assembly from the barrel and then pushing/prying the spring up and out. My trigger averaged 3.13 over five pulls prior to the replacement and now averages 1.12 after the install. I did use blue loctite when reinstalling the Allen screw that holds the spring in place. I can still adjust the trigger pull if needed. I’m definitely pleased with the outcome for $12.95 especially compared to the price of a good aftermarket replacement trigger.
Thanks for the tip on the x-bolt. I have a 6.5PRC, and am hoping it performs.

I think you’ll be pleased with the spring kit. Let us know how it works for you.
EKYHUNTER, surely will. Any other info would be incredibly helpful, and appreciated. I have heard mixed views on the x-bolt on here, and am curious why that is? I’ve never had a problem with any Browning gun, owning several . Thanks again for the tip.

Corrected many years ago. They quit using it.

EKYHUNTER, surely will. Any other info would be incredibly helpful, and appreciated. I have heard mixed views on the x-bolt on here, and am curious why that is? I’ve never had a problem with any Browning gun, owning several . Thanks again for the tip.
Same for me. Never any issues.

I have X bolt Hells Canyon Speed in .308. It has been my favorite rifle. I originally got it for my daughter but I have been using when she isn't. It has not missed any animal that we have put the cross hairs on!

I have X bolt Hells Canyon Speed in .308. It has been my favorite rifle. I originally got it for my daughter but I have been using when she isn't. It has not missed any animal that we have put the cross hairs on!
Redman, I’m running the Hells Canyon Max Long Range McMillan 6.5PRC. If this gun doesn’t group, I will be PISSED! Now I need Big Fin to help me get some Noslers. Thanks again

Redman, I’m running the Hells Canyon Max Long Range McMillan 6.5PRC. If this gun doesn’t group, I will be PISSED! Now I need Big Fin to help me get some Noslers. Thanks again
I am a Nosler fan and wanted to go the non-lead route but had a hard time finding Etips availability and that was before all the shortages. I was able to find Barnes TTSX and that is now my go to bullet. 150gr is what I feed it and the performance has been tremendous. Shot a mule deer buck at 350+ yds front on and found the bullet under the skin of the rear quarter.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back