Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

New X Bolt .300 WSM

EKYHunter

Ordered a new X Bolt in December 2019 and finally got it in mid November this year. Hell’s Canyon Long Range Speed in .300 WSM. Haven’t shot it yet, but I’ve owned other Browning’s in the past and expect good things. Got to get a scope soon and will likely go with the VX 5 HD. I have installed the Mcarbo trigger spring and was able to get the trigger just below 2 pounds. Looking forward to start shooting and finding some good loads. Anyone else have experience with the X Bolts? C22081B1-EE29-41BF-BC21-5D9EC1DEF3B4.jpeg

Attachments

• E72EAE24-AEF7-47DF-A35E-EED1D9E9499B.jpeg
    E72EAE24-AEF7-47DF-A35E-EED1D9E9499B.jpeg
    809.2 KB · Views: 19
  • F5790EC2-913E-428D-91BF-141F95CA699E.jpeg
    F5790EC2-913E-428D-91BF-141F95CA699E.jpeg
    324.1 KB · Views: 19
I think you’re gonna love it. I have an xbolt in 28 nosler and it’s a great gun. First year Hunting with it was this year and knocked down 2 mule deer with it. The first one at a dead on run. The gun really fits me well. It’s a great combo it’s not too light to make it difficult to Shoot off hand like some other lighter weight guns can be. But isn’t too heavy to pack in on long hikes

For my scope I was torn between the VX5 and the ZEISS conquest V4. I ended up going with the Zeiss it’s a little heavier than the VX5 but I’m very happy with it.

how hard was the new trigger spring to instal?

Was that a typo you ordered the rifle last December? Or was it really 11 month

I think you’re gonna love it. I have an xbolt in 28 nosler and it’s a great gun. First year Hunting with it was this year and knocked down 2 mule deer with it. The first one at a dead on run. The gun really fits me well. It’s a great combo it’s not too light to make it difficult to Shoot off hand like some other lighter weight guns can be. But isn’t too heavy to pack in on long hikes

For my scope I was torn between the VX5 and the ZEISS conquest V4. I ended up going with the Zeiss it’s a little heavier than the VX5 but I’m very happy with it.

how hard was the new trigger spring to instal?

Was that a typo you ordered the rifle last December? Or was it really 11 month
No sir, not a typo at all. It was an 11 month wait time. Some other places had the rifle but the price wasn’t as good and they weren’t local. I try to buy local when I can. I think it’s good to support those who support your community and whom you’ve built up a relationship with. Sometimes you can’t do that but I try. The spring wasn’t a bad install at all. I’m not the most mechanically inclined guy but I watched the video on Mcarbo’s site a few times and just did it. I used a 3/16” punch and small awl to pry the spring out. There’s two videos on the Mcarbo site and I did my install as demonstrated in the shorter video. The longer video shows removing the trigger assembly from the barrel and then pushing/prying the spring up and out. My trigger averaged 3.13 over five pulls prior to the replacement and now averages 1.12 after the install. I did use blue loctite when reinstalling the Allen screw that holds the spring in place. I can still adjust the trigger pull if needed. I’m definitely pleased with the outcome for $12.95 especially compared to the price of a good aftermarket replacement trigger.

Good round, I've taken a few critters and used quite a bit of center paper with the 300 Short mag. No experience with the XBolt but that is a striking rifle....enjoy.

You'll love the rifle and scope. Got my xv5 from @schmalts too, great to deal with
I’ve messaged him and he’s priced me on. Excellent price. I’ve also priced one at a local shop and they have an excellent price as well, however there appears to be supply issues. That’s ok though. I’m in no hurry. After waiting so long on my rifle, I can certainly wait a little longer for my scope.

I bought one (western hunter) in .270 this summer. It killed 3 mule deer and a coyote this year. I really like the gun.

Mine came with a muzzle brake installed, which I appreciated at the range. But I’m still having lots of problems in my left ear after shooting it for the first time in the field a couple of months ago without ear protection. After that, I took the brake off for hunting. I was shooting a 300WSM previously that did not have a brake, and never had issues shooting in the field with no ear protection.

Ordered a new X Bolt in December 2019 and finally got it in mid November this year. Hell’s Canyon Long Range Speed in .300 WSM. Haven’t shot it yet, but I’ve owned other Browning’s in the past and expect good things. Got to get a scope soon and will likely go with the VX 5 HD. I have installed the Mcarbo trigger spring and was able to get the trigger just below 2 pounds. Looking forward to start shooting and finding some good loads. Anyone else have experience with the X Bolts? View attachment 166682
Looks like a great gun

I bought one (western hunter) in .270 this summer. It killed 3 mule deer and a coyote this year. I really like the gun.

Mine came with a muzzle brake installed, which I appreciated at the range. But I’m still having lots of problems in my left ear after shooting it for the first time in the field a couple of months ago without ear protection. After that, I took the brake off for hunting. I was shooting a 300WSM previously that did not have a brake, and never had issues shooting in the field with no ear protection.
This is the first rifle I’ve ever owned that has a muzzle brake. Whenever I practice or just am shooting for fun, I use a pair of the Caldwell electronic ear muffs. My plan is to use the MB when testing loads, zeroing the scope, and practicing but then to check poi without the brake and to hunt without the brake. I try to always be very pro active in hearing protection and use ear plugs when cutting grass, using a weed eater, blower, power washer, etc. I’ve heard of others who have had issues from shooting a MB without hearing protection. Hope your issues improve.

love mine to bits,,i have fired it with no ear protection in the heat of the moment and found it on par with a 270 carrying a 24 inch barrel,,the long 26 inches is just right in my opinion,,just make sure you clean the rifle after use

love mine to bits,,i have fired it with no ear protection in the heat of the moment and found it on par with a 270 carrying a 24 inch barrel,,the long 26 inches is just right in my opinion,,just make sure you clean the rifle after use
Thanks! Are you saying they foul easily? What’s your cleaning routine?

Ordered a new X Bolt in December 2019 and finally got it in mid November this year. Hell’s Canyon Long Range Speed in .300 WSM. Haven’t shot it yet, but I’ve owned other Browning’s in the past and expect good things. Got to get a scope soon and will likely go with the VX 5 HD. I have installed the Mcarbo trigger spring and was able to get the trigger just below 2 pounds. Looking forward to start shooting and finding some good loads. Anyone else have experience with the X Bolts? View attachment 166682
Don't have an Xbolt but i do have a 300wsm that I love seems to be a fantastic cartridge

How are you planning to mount the scope? I have a hell's canyon in 300wsm with medium talleys and have been having issues with empty cases hitting the windage knob and falling back into the ejection port. Been trying to figure out my best option to resolve this. It's a vx5hd also

Back