New Truck Build Sanity Check

CoffeeGoat

I finally bit the bullet and purchased a new truck a couple of weeks ago to cover all of my families "truck" needs. We're reducing the fleet from 3 (an SUV, small car, and minivan) to just the minivan and a truck as I end up going to home depot far more often then hitting the trails. I picked up a new Nissan Titan Pro4X, crew cab-short bed, and it's entirely stock at this point and I'm trying to maximize it's general usefulness both for fun stuff (hunting, camping, etc) and every day stuff like driving to work, going to home depot, etc and since this is the first full size truck I've owned I wanted to make sure I'm not making any grave mistakes here.

Thing One - Pick up a locking bed cover, haven't fully decided between a rolling one (like the Bak Revolver X4) or a folding (Bakflip MX4). I've used toppers before on my old nissan 720 and while they were great when you needed a ton of lockable storage they sucked the rest of the time. You couldn't easily pick up loose material, you had to crawl around to get stuff to the back, and while they lock - either you get terrible visibility all the time or you display all your gear behind a thin plexiglas window. I could remove the topper in the off season but then I need a place to store it, and they are a bit of a hassle to install. It seems like a rolling/folding cover is a good happy medium between lockable/weatherproof storage and convenience the rest of the time.

Thing Two - Build a custom contractors rack out of t-slot framing aluminum. Because we're always working on the house it seems like getting a rack to hold long items is a no brainer. It might affect overhead clearance a touch, but being able to hold 12' boards is pretty valuable. It doesn't affect vision, I can easily add custom gear mounting points as necessary and it's cheaper to build one exactly like I want then find one off the shelf.

Thing Three - Tires or chains maybe get some new ones? The Pro4X comes with General Grabber APT tires, which are a pretty good in between all terrain/road tire that are quiet, get good mileage, and are three peaks snow rated. However, they're P rated and hence I'm a bit worried about longevity and survivability of them while out hunting. This year I'll be around Craig CO, so I wouldn't expect anything really nasty and I drive a fair bit for work so I'm leaning towards just picking up some chains and hoping they survive the year and when they wear out, replace them with something better. I'm worried if I jump head first into some meaty AT's I'll pay for it in mileage/noise in my commute all year long...

Thing Four - Get a bed Tent. One of the major advantages of a full topper is the ability to camp in the back - but I don't think it overwhelms the disadvantages. This won't be a "this year" purchase but one of those cool truck bed tents seem like the way to get the best of both worlds - camping comfort when you need it, but light, inexpensive and easy to remove when you don't.

What do you think, does it sound like a reasonable approach this year? Anything else I should be considering?

Here are my thoughts for # 3 and 4. 3- You WILL lose fuel mileage and get road noise with aggressive AT tires. No matter what brand it is simply a fact. You have weigh the cost/benefit for you. What type of off road driving do you do and how much? If you only go off road (and not severe tracks) probably not a good idea to go KO2. 4- I am NOT a fan of bed tents, I would suggest something like a Kodiak. At least as easy to put up, about the same cost, you can still keep stuff in the bed under the bed cover you choose, you don't have to get up into the bed AND you can stand up in the tent. https://www.kodiakcanvas.com/10-x-1...-deluxe-estimated-restock-date-oct-20th-2020/

I'm solidly opposed to bed tents. Who wants to break down camp to drive to a different trailhead in the morning? If I'm Car camping it is to give me mobility throughout the unit.
I always like 10 ply tires. I think for the road noise and wear you could afford to have a set to put on for hunting season if you wanted "mudders" . Which ironically are worthless on snow and Ice on the highway.

One aftermarket piece of equipment I'd like to bolt on is a rear window cover headache rack with a tailgate bed rack portion that can be removed/slid to the front.

So no go on the truck bed tent, which is easy because it wasn't going to happen this year anyways.

Tires are still uncertain, I'd like to move up to E rated but I'm diving -500 miles a week on the road right now and will be for the foreseeable future. It's a big chunk of change and with my current commute it seems better to wait.

Anything about the cover or rack?

Forget the truck tent, buy two sets of chains and call it good. It seems you do a lot of hwy driving so the chain purchase is a no brainer! Lockable bed cover pick the one serves your best needs!

You might look at a soft topper. They will give you the ability to truck camp and have a full bed when you need it. You should be fine with those tires over by Craig for a year just get some chains for all four.

I have a Diamondback cover for my bed. Pricy but accessible from the front of the bed as well as the rear. I have the HD model so it's lockable and you can transport an ATV on it. It's also the only cover I have bought that has been watertight. I've had it a close to a year and no water has gotten in the bed. I picked mine up from their outlet store due to a paint run that is barely visible so it was a few hundred cheaper.

So far I've got a folding bed cover installed, I went with the Undercover Armor Flex because it's basically the Bak4 but comes with Line-X bed coating to resist scratching. Something I hadn't considered is the interaction between the bed cover and any rack I might put on there, due to the geometry of the cover it's a bit trickier to get a rack to fit without interfering. My plan is to build a custom 80/20 type rack to get around the problem, but that doesn't need to happen immediately.

The next thing to take care of will be to pick up some chains, I will be putting so many miles on the tires this year that it just doesn't make sense to swap them out yet, they'll be done in 2-3 years and I can go back with something a bit more aggressive. When we were scouting out near Craig I didn't see anything that would be a problem with my current tires so that saves a bit for this year.

As far as a bed tent or similar I'll just push that question out a year or two, we're doing the KOA this year for deer season and I don't see any reason to buy something that will just sit in the garage, I'll put this down to "future me problem," and figure it out when it moves towards the top of the list.

I’m not sure the terrain you’re dealing with but I would consider an upgraded (thicker) skid plate. The one that came on my Tacoma Off-Road was thin aluminum and wouldn’t support the weight of the vehicle when I hit something on the trail. Great insurance - it’s definitely saved me multiple times.

Quick follow-up on this as the trip finished up a couple weeks ago. Things went a bit different as my hunting partner flaked and I was stuck in quarantine for the first day of the season. I ended up camping in the truck and while it wasn't quite wide enough to stretch out it was comfortable enough to sleep in the back seat, I think in the future I'll figure out something a bit nicer. The weather was cold/snowy and the ground was a mudfest so staying off the ground was definitely a perk and something that I will want to hang on to, though I'm not sure the back seat is a good long term solution.

The tires were fine, though I did put a rock through one of them causing a slow leak. According to the tire guy even a beefier tire would have likely had the same issue (it was a really sharp rock apparently). The performance on mud was less than desirable, snow was mediocre, definitely something to upgrade for the future, but fine for right now.

I got some nice chains for the rear, never needed to fit them.

The rear cover was pretty fantastic, easy to get to stuff, super quick to get set up to make quick hot lunch.

I'm interested in thicker skid plates, but the ones from Nissan are pretty beefy, certainly not thick enough to balance the truck on, but enough that if I bashed a rock they'd hold up to at least a few hits before needing to be replaced.

Overall, a pretty good first attempt.

Quick follow-up on this as the trip finished up a couple weeks ago. Things went a bit different as my hunting partner flaked and I was stuck in quarantine for the first day of the season. I ended up camping in the truck and while it wasn't quite wide enough to stretch out it was comfortable enough to sleep in the back seat, I think in the future I'll figure out something a bit nicer. The weather was cold/snowy and the ground was a mudfest so staying off the ground was definitely a perk and something that I will want to hang on to, though I'm not sure the back seat is a good long term solution.

The tires were fine, though I did put a rock through one of them causing a slow leak. According to the tire guy even a beefier tire would have likely had the same issue (it was a really sharp rock apparently). The performance on mud was less than desirable, snow was mediocre, definitely something to upgrade for the future, but fine for right now.

I got some nice chains for the rear, never needed to fit them.

The rear cover was pretty fantastic, easy to get to stuff, super quick to get set up to make quick hot lunch.

I'm interested in thicker skid plates, but the ones from Nissan are pretty beefy, certainly not thick enough to balance the truck on, but enough that if I bashed a rock they'd hold up to at least a few hits before needing to be replaced.

Overall, a pretty good first attempt.
Thought about trying one of these?

I have duratrac tires and they are great in all types of driving but slightly louder and lost 1-2 mpg. It's like 4WD, don't need it all the time but so glad to have it when u do. However, given how much you drive daily maybe consider 2 sets (one for off road use or hunting season). My daily driving doesn't matter as much so I leave the duratracs on.

I just did the same thing yesterday :) here’s what I’m planning if it’s helpful:

- Debating sliding cover (this is the one i was looking at, two ffiends have them and they’re great: https://retrax.com/) with Thule towers (I need a fly rod carrier and a Cargo Box/Ski rack) versus a Leer or ARE topper. I’m 90% going with the topper since it just works better for me, but those Retrax sliders are really slick. definitely getting a Bedrug. My knees hurt just looking at the bed Right now.

- I already ordered Nitto Trail Grapplers to swap out the Generals. I had 3 sets of Trail grapplers on my old Tundra and they are excellent. The Generals, to your point, are pretty solid for factory, but I want a beefier tire. I’ll get chains soon. To rockys point above, most M/T tires aren’t great on ice, but the Trail Grapplers are factory siped now and do better than the old (2013/14-ish) models. And really, no tire is great on ice unless they’re studded.

- skip the roof tent For now. that market is exploding and I think if you’re still interested in one 1-2 years from now you’ll have a lot more to choose from.

I just did the same thing yesterday :) here’s what I’m planning if it’s helpful:

- Debating sliding cover (this is the one i was looking at, two ffiends have them and they’re great: https://retrax.com/) with Thule towers (I need a fly rod carrier and a Cargo Box/Ski rack) versus a Leer or ARE topper. I’m 90% going with the topper since it just works better for me, but those Retrax sliders are really slick. definitely getting a Bedrug. My knees hurt just looking at the bed Right now.

- I already ordered Nitto Trail Grapplers to swap out the Generals. I had 3 sets of Trail grapplers on my old Tundra and they are excellent. The Generals, to your point, are pretty solid for factory, but I want a beefier tire. I’ll get chains soon. To rockys point above, most M/T tires aren’t great on ice, but the Trail Grapplers are factory siped now and do better than the old (2013/14-ish) models. And really, no tire is great on ice unless they’re studded.

- skip the roof tent For now. that market is exploding and I think if you’re still interested in one 1-2 years from now you’ll have a lot more to choose from.
I looked at the retrax but I couldn't get over how much room it takes inside the already small bed. My intention is to put together a custom roof rack using 8020, but not immediately, probably a summer job.

Tires will come, but we're moving so it's also going to have to wait. I'll get through the next year and figure out what it looks like next fall. It feels like tires have actually been improving at a pretty quick rate the last few years ago maybe a year from now there will be new options to consider.

The accommodations are still unclear, my wife actually had a great idea that I've never heard of before. Apparently there are companies that specialize in custom, waterproof outdoor furniture covers. You send in custom dimensions, spec out guy out points for carabiners to clip, vents, even Velcro and zippers and such for closures. Anyways, it's such an off the wall idea with such promise that I think I need to try it just for kicks and giggles - it could be freaking amazing, or terrible. Seems like a great experiment.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back