New toy - mounting question

TN2shot07

I know not everybody is a 700 fan but I picked this up yesterday. I should’ve learned by now to just go to the grocery store and not swing by the gun shop….
Normally I just pop the iron sights off and put the filler screws in so I can pull the scope down closer to the barrel. I went to two shops yesterday and neither had the screws so I was thinking maybe leave them on this one. Any recommendations on the best way to mount a scope and not have them in the sight picture? I haven’t decided on one of the new vx3’s or another vx5 but that’s another thread, thanks!816BAC11-8A9F-4FA5-AD06-753A63FBEC45.jpeg

Any of these work?

I had some raised rings years ago but never did really like how I had to raise my head off the stock to see thru the scope. Ended up taking them off and just trying to remember to keep my scope dialed down to the lowest setting for close up surprises. Forgetting to do that has cost me a couple of animals though.

Interesting. Will leaving the front sight on cause any problems?
No - you’ll get used to it in the sight picture and will be so small as not to be an intrusion. Personally, I’d leave the rear set installed, sight it in with the irons and then mount a scope with QD rings to have a versatile and reliable setup.

Any of these work?
Those will probably do it, thanks!

No - you’ll get used to it in the sight picture and will be so small as not to be an intrusion. Personally, I’d leave the rear set installed, sight it in with the irons and then mount a scope with QD rings to have a versatile and reliable setup.
I considered that but haven’t ever run qd rings. (Have always used the Leupold dovetails) Have you had good luck with any in particular?

I would leave the sights. I had a Browning High Power rifle with iron sights. I installed a Leupold 3-9x scope and used their QD base and ring set-up recommended by the ring/base selector on their website, and the iron sights did not interfere. You’ll have the best of both worlds. You can use that rifle in the brush with the iron sights and slap the scope back on when your out in the open. The Leupold set up held zero every time I reattached the scope.

Pretty rifle. If the sights don’t interfere with your mounting height, I’d just leave them on and use some removable rings (QD or otherwise, I’ve always had pretty good luck with return-to-zero with Weaver style removables) as has already been suggested.

That rifle in 270 has a lot of panache, so I’d probably go with a fixed 4 or 6, or a 2.5-8x36 with some decent matching blued hardware.

I had the chance to buy one for a good price recently, but the timing was poor. Darn it, I’ll probably not get another opportunity like that one again. Congrats!

I know not everybody is a 700 fan but I picked this up yesterday. I should’ve learned by now to just go to the grocery store and not swing by the gun shop….
Normally I just pop the iron sights off and put the filler screws in so I can pull the scope down closer to the barrel. I went to two shops yesterday and neither had the screws so I was thinking maybe leave them on this one. Any recommendations on the best way to mount a scope and not have them in the sight picture? I haven’t decided on one of the new vx3’s or another vx5 but that’s another thread, thanks!View attachment 187339
I’m a big 700 fan 👍 got one in 270 that could pass for a twin to yours. The ones that have scopes on them I have never taken the iron sights off . Great looking rifle enjoy.

Had a friend who owned about 10 different BDL 700 calibers....all shrouded blade & ramps intact...all scoped.

He shot em well...beautiful rifles.
My wife probably wishes 10 was all I had 🤣🤣. But hey it’s been a lifetime of collecting and honestly I’ve never been given any grief over hunting, fishing,guns,or farming I’m truly blessed 😇

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back