New to the idea of Goat hunting (MT - 100)

Theat, I'm using a stone glacier frame, then went from there to build a pack to fit it.

Keep me in the loop if your seeign some good goats... 10 days... WHAT! :) So excited, can't wait to get up in that country and GO GOATING!

Came across a video today... Billy or nanny...
1094582_10151613263870671_1216819073_o.jpg

I'd guess nanny as well. The one billy I've laid my hands on had big, pronounced glands at his horn bases that I don't see in that pic.

Well the opener wasn't a tag out deal, but we did see goats, one that I think is a good billy but can't understand why its hanging out with this other goat... Lets Try the billy / nanny game again :)
1268419_10151635478165671_1232561485_o.jpg

1274802_10151635478350671_893443297_o.jpg

1237207_10151635478345671_548016836_o.jpg

that's tough with such long range photo's I'd guess the one on the right is a billy only because the horns seem to sweep rather than being linear. Not sure I'd hang my tag on that guess though, I'd want a better look. Try to spy some genitals if he turns around.

The way 'he' was acting posturing up to look at something... walking around... stature... just made me think possibly younger billy, but at 1.2 miles away, who knows, deserves a closer look, that will come this weekend!

Well i'm benched out this weekend family in need. But you best believe i'll be back in next weekend. It also appears that weather would have been a factor this weekend so its a blessing. I've been hearing stories of Goats being taken!
1277000_10151637859690671_1375826225_o.jpg

This will help with motivation, Sunday eve, Spanish Peaks. Keep at 'em

Attachments

• P9151165 (800x600).jpg
    P9151165 (800x600).jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 653
Great goat Fidel! That will fuel the fire for sure! Hope that I can get in bow range, but I will have a rifle around too!

Any advice on spotting goats in the snow?!? Calling for 1 - 3" tomorrow hopefully melted by Friday... Maybe look in places that aren't in the snow?

Can't say that I have experience hunting goats in the snow, but I see them quite often in the winter up here. They don't stand out like in the summer, but are fairly easy to spot in the snow. They're kind of yellow against the white. We still see them in the cliffs/rocks and on the ridge tops. The areas they live don't tend to hold much snow as its too vertical.

Personally, I'd be afraid of slipping and falling in the snow. I'd think hard about a set of crampons depending on the type of terrain. Wet rocks/grass is pretty sketchy with a bit of wet snow. Be careful and good luck!

Thanks bambistew! I was thinking about getting a set of those micro spikes... not sure i need full crampons yet, but micro spikes could very well be useful... Thanks for the tips!

hk,

In more open country you can glass tracks in the fresh snow. Tracks leading into a small timber patch or rock outcrop with nothing coming out can tip you off to where a bedded goat may be. Worked good for me in 2000. Not sure if it would be as help full in the timbered country you are hunting in. Good luck.

BHR, great tip i'll check that out for sure... there are some well defined trails that they use in the area, if the snow lets me get up to those areas I'll be able to put a bead on a path to them. Friday is the day I head up in there. It'll be really interesting seeing where they are and where they'll move to. I imagine they like the southern exposures this time of the year where most of the forage is going to be uncovered.
Hard to keep my excitement in and focus this week!

Goat eve... Headed into the woods tomorrow morning. Weather looked ok at the start of this week, now we're showing 90% rain saturday / sunday. Tips to finding goats in the rain... stay dry.. hahaha! It sure will be a fun one, with snow already on the ground. Big billys beware!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
runoutdoors
Back