Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

New to the idea of Goat hunting (MT - 100)

hk_willow

Well fellers... I'm new here but I see this is a great place to share information about hunting. I'm a true DIY hunter ready to get into goat shape and get after it! I'm one of the lucky 6 that got drawn for a cabinet mtn wilderness hunt. I know I should be prepared for just about anything but I do have a few debates. Caliber / grain of bullets I've been debating (hearing that Mountain Goats are some of the toughest animals to take down). .25-06, .280, 300 mag... I know they don't produce the most trophies but in my opinion the trophy is in the experience and not entirely in the size of the animal taken. Any helpful tips / tricks from goat hunters out there I'll listen and heed.

Cheers!

Don't forget to age the goat before you pull the trigger. Sounds logical, but in the heat of the moment at 300yds, right at dark, standing all alone and about to climb a cliff, and never hunted them before, I'm a testament that it can happen. I used a 300 win mag, kind of liked the idea of a big punch in case a grizz thought I was supper. Good luck, didn't hunt that area so no help there.

Get close enough to see the age rings on the billy? I'm leaning towards the 300, I would like to have the goat stay where I shoot it... (not that its entirely possible but one can try for that).

That is a great goat tag to have in your pocket. I live on the south end of the wilderness and spend as much time up there as I can. I used to put in for that unit, but decided to switch to an area that overlaps with one of the unlimited sheep units.

I am trying to climb all the 7000'+ peaks in the wilderness and plan to add a couple more to the completed list this summer. I will keep an eye out for a nice billie while I am up there.

Do you live in the area?

I know of several areas where billies tend to hang out. Send me a pm and I can give you some pointers.

Awhile back another member on here, GeraldMartin, posted a link to a video of a goat hunt in that area from last fall. I can't remember what he called it but I think it was something like "too much legislating not enough goat hunting" or something like that. If you do a search you might be able to find it, if not I am sure he will show up on here eventually.

Congrats on the permit. Nothing beats a goat hunt in my opinion. As for cartriges, I had killed one with a 280 and two with a 7wsm. IIRC one was with a 140 and two with 150 gr NP. No issues on them moving far. Do be careful where the critter is when you pull the trigger. No caliber will keep them from taking a couple steps and falling..........

Please keep us up to date on the scouting and hunt.

Last edited:
WOW, thanks guys, this is great information! I will post updates theat as like Gearld I'm a bit of a photo / video crazy guy..

Gearld: that is a great story and a great video you posted, just keeps fueling me to get in shape for this goat hunt! I am sure i'll read / watch those many many more times!

mtmiller: I've decided its the .300 or the .280, which ever one i feel is more comfortable, both will do the job, one may reach out farther.

Again great information guys and i'll keep everyone up to date on my progress, first scouting trip I think will be late July Early Aug. Thanks again!

Another question I had was timing. Right now I'm planning on getting in there for the opener, but would any one suggest I be less eager and go later in the season? I know the coat is going to get thicker the later in the season I go but does that out weigh the possibility of October weather shutting it down?

Also I was planning 2 hunts of 5 days each, and 2 scouting trips of 3 or 4 days each. Should I be thinking more time than that or maybe shorter trips, but more of them?

hk - I'll leave it to the goat guys theat and gerald, but my experience in the cabinets is that weather can be unpredictable. I've been snowed out up high in early October before over there.

Congrats to hk! I also drew a goat tag for the cabinets. Its like I won the lottery! Just joined HUNT TALK to get any info I can. Am excited and apprehensive at the same time.

Good luck, if you are looking for a training program here are some from MilitaryAthlete.com they have training videos for all of the exercises. I used them for their GoRuck Challenge workout, it helped me significantly when I did my GoRuck challenge in June. I bet if you were to call them and explain what you are going to do, they could recommend a program for you.

http://militaryathlete.com/page.php?page_ID=12&cart_category_ID=54

This is a goat we saw in the area in 2007, nanny or billy?!?
1015297_10151470955325671_1103801761_o.jpg

Another question I had was timing. Right now I'm planning on getting in there for the opener, but would any one suggest I be less eager and go later in the season? I know the coat is going to get thicker the later in the season I go but does that out weigh the possibility of October weather shutting it down?

Also I was planning 2 hunts of 5 days each, and 2 scouting trips of 3 or 4 days each. Should I be thinking more time than that or maybe shorter trips, but more of them?

Cool nanny pic. I can't speak for the weather later in the Cabinets, but more of the trophy for me is the hair on goats. Have a great hunt and enjoy every minute of it. After both of my MT goat hunts I was physically spent and wondered why I ever attempted. Two days later I was hoping to be lucky enough to do it all over again.

I share your excitement,I drew a great Idaho goat tag. Last weeks scouting trip produced over 20 goats. I will be using my 300WSM not sure of the load just yet, I like my elk load so much I will probably stick with it(killed my bear last week with it) anyway have a great time scouting.keep in touch
M2h

Thanks MTmiller, and Much2hunt, I am excited for sure. I'll keep this thread going with pictures of my hunt and scouting. I know my research is continuing and gear prep and body prep. Lots of work to be done, I hope to summit 2 or 3 peaks this summer to help with 'Goat shape'!

hk willow- If it were my tag I would wait until later. The hair gets really good after about the 10th of October. There are places in the unit where you can get around in until the very end of the season. I wouldn't get too freaked out that you will get weathered out.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back