New to the Group and would love to kill an elk

lsutigers_1

Hello all. I am from Louisiana and have been an avid hunted my entire life. I have killed many whitetail deer in Louisiana, Texas, and Missouri. I once even went to Florida and killed one. I have developed a desire and passion to travel out west and kill an elk and a mule deer. Last year I made my first ever attempt at an over the counter bull tag in Colorado in the Gunnison are. I ate a tag sandwich! I would love this year to try Montana and I am looking at Region 3 and wanting to go for B-Licenses for a cow elk and whitetail does. I don't expect to kill an elk but I'd like to at least give it an honest effort. The deer license would be to hopefully bring home some meat.

I've narrowed my choices down based off license availability but that's still pretty broad. I currently am looking at Units:
300 (elk)
302 (elk)
311 (deer and elk)
312 (deer and elk)
320 (deer and elk)
322 (deer and elk)
323 (elk)
324 (deer and elk)
325 (deer and elk)
326 (deer and elk)
327 (elk)
328 (elk)
329 (elk)
330 (deer and elk)
331 (elk)
332 (elk)
333 (deer)
340 (deer)
360 (deer)

I'd never ask for a honey hole, but could someone give me some advise on where to narrow down my search too. We'd like to tent camp to cut down on travel time and to just enjoy the experience.

Welcome, I’d start with a mapping software and see what access each of those units has.

Welcome, I’d start with a mapping software and see what access each of those units has.
There is a lot of public land in most all the units which is a positive thing but is making it hard to narrow down choices. Is it to be expected that seeing whitetail does and cow elk in the same units and areas going to be difficult?

@lsutigers_1 Are you on the surplus list for b tags? App deadline was June otherwise.

Edit: Holy cow you're going to win some kind of award for cut and paste.

Have you watched Randy's escouting guide on YouTube? If not start there, use the MT hunt planner map, Google Earth, onx etc. and figure out an area that looks like what you want to hunt. They have harvest statistics for MT but take with a grain of salt.

Decide what kind of hunt you want, terrain, distance from road, do some research and pick a spot. Then do that 10 more times, then go down your list of spots and if the first is a bust go to the next until you find elk.

Last edited:
Thanks for the YouTube advise. Sorry for the cut and paste but I’m new to the thread and I could make a post without 10 comments first

No but I see they have OTC B-Tags
The OTC ones are pretty limited and often restricted to private property. Look through them, pretty sure you can cross most of your list off for this year.

Go grab a tag in Colorado for this year, do some research on MT and I'd add WY cow tags and be ready for next year.

Spend some time reading old threads, there is lots of info on MT and even specific HDs you've mentioned on your list.

Is it to be expected that seeing whitetail does and cow elk in the same units and areas going to be difficult?
Yes. I think that will be a long shot. Most habitat in Region 3 that will support both whitetails and cow elk groups will be private property.
As @kwyeewyk mentioned, planning a public land elk hunt in MT at this late date will be tough. Not much tag availability left. But buy an elk B point in MT now (and WY elk point) if having a fun cow elk hunt is something you’d like to do in the near future!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back