New to site, New to CA. where can I bowhunt around the Bay Area?

embodiedGriffin

I am from Santa Cruz, thinking about heading down to SLO for turkeys. Any suggestions?
Also want to add Id be down to link up and learn the terrain of these new areas with someone if anyone out there is looking for a hunting buddy with a good shot.

Welcome
e.png

I'm just up Hwy 17 from you in the SC mountains. Closest public land is Los Padres NF just past Carmel. The Monterey District just effectively closed the whole district now though until June 1. I think you can still access points off the east side near Fort Hunter Liggett though. The other option is to go north and hit up the Berryessa Snow Mountain NM, a huge mix of BLM and FS land up there. Turkeys are tough to come by from my experience though, they get quite a bit of pressure.

Welcome to Hunt Talk.

I'm just up Hwy 17 from you in the SC mountains. Closest public land is Los Padres NF just past Carmel. The Monterey District just effectively closed the whole district now though until June 1. I think you can still access points off the east side near Fort Hunter Liggett though. The other option is to go north and hit up the Berryessa Snow Mountain NM, a huge mix of BLM and FS land up there. Turkeys are tough to come by from my experience though, they get quite a bit of pressure.

Welcome to Hunt Talk.
Thanks man! Great info in that message. So I was scoping Los padres but did see it was closed on CDFW website. Didnt know it was closed until June 1 tho... bummer. I was told SC county was lifting bans on parks any day now so was praying that also meant public land. Well I still might check that out for pigs before it gets too hot in summer. Lets keep in touch and when the world calms down a bit maybe we can get something going. I have been scouted 5 turkeys near my house this month that feed on this certain plot, theres at least two jakes in there. Its a pretty crowded area but I think I might as well ask for permission to access their land. Wont hurt I guess right? I know people around SC hate hunting and frown upon it but people's minds are changing with these weird times... I think there are a lot of people wondering what they would do if shit got real and if theyd be ready, or not.. I know most people on here could probably manage without a grocery store!

Funny how Guys just say Welcome instead of giving out info. Thats Why We are on here is for info. I don't care if a Guy has 3,00 posts or 3 , I will help Him . I guess thats the Younger generation. I have PM'd several guys on different sites with info. If I know I will never Hunt there again I will tell them all I know..............BOB!

Sometimes we have nothing to contribute to the OP question, but we still want to welcome them the HT. It should be Oak to do that.

Welcome embodiedGriffon. I’ve never hunted CA, so can’t give you any tips on that. If you ever come to UT or hunt MT, I’d be happy to share what little I know. 😱

Sometimes we have nothing to contribute to the OP question, but we still want to welcome them the HT. It should be Oak to do that.

Welcome embodiedGriffon. I’ve never hunted CA, so can’t give you any tips on that. If you ever come to UT or hunt MT, I’d be happy to share what little I know. 😱

Would absolutely love to take you up on that offer Wildabeast! Those are a couple of my dream states to hunt, being from upstate NY and now CA ive always seen that the non-res tags in those states for things like Elk are very expensive. But once I get some money in the bank im taking you up on that bud. (y)

Funny how Guys just say Welcome instead of giving out info. Thats Why We are on here is for info. I don't care if a Guy has 3,00 posts or 3 , I will help Him . I guess thats the Younger generation. I have PM'd several guys on different sites with info. If I know I will never Hunt there again I will tell them all I know..............BOB!

Pot meet kettle

Well @Oak, looks like you're the new official HT greeter (y)

Do you have OnX?
I do, but i dont. Its on my phone but havent pulled the trigger on the expensive membership. Mostly because the world is on fire tho and everything seems to be closed....
Heard there might not be a turkey season out here..

Welcome. First time I've heard Santa Cruz and San Luis referred to as Bay Area. Lots of turkeys in both places, but lots of private land.

Welcome. Can I tell You Colorado Sucks for Deer Hunting unless You are on Private! or have 20 non res points....................BOB!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back