New to elk hunting

Hey - I'm in a similar boat as you: inexperienced at elk hunting (only been going for a few years) and travelling by truck from the deep south out west to OTC hunts. Below are the main things I relied/rely on to wrap my brain around this potentially daunting endeavor.

1. Podcasts - I listen to Elk Talk, Hunt Talk, and the Jay Scott Outdoors podcasts frequently, year round. Just a good way to get that information floating around in my head, and there are individual episodes on any particular topic you need specific info on.
2. Youtube Day by Days - The day-by-day series that people/channels like Randy, Elk101, BRO produce are excellent. They are not only entertaining, but highly educational for someone like me. They are one of the only ways I can really see and appreciate the difficulties of big country elk hunting, being from AL. Some people may not agree with the tactics etc. utilized on certain shows, or may not like the personalities of different groups, but they definitely convey the low odds and scope of challenges facing public land elk hunters.
3. Bag Dumps - When I was trying to figure out what gear I needed and what crap to buy, I watched a lot of these "backpack dump" vids on Youtube. Find some hunters that are knowledgeable (like Randy or some of the GoHunt contributors), see how they organize their stuff, see what gear commonly overlaps in everbody's pack, and start making yourself a list.
4. Courses - Elk101's University of Elk Hunting online course is probably the holy grail for newbie hunters like me, but there are others out there as well. Personally I've done the UEH courses and another online series from Roe Hunting Resources. I found both extremely useful and would recommend to anyone just getting started.

Assuming you’re going rifle hunting, although you’ve never said.
Good (great) boots, good pack for packing in and out, get in great shape. Shelter for any type of weather is a must for the mountains in October/November and can not be understated.
You’ve logged 4 messages since you started here, might be hard for guys to offer up solid advice if you don’t participate.
Everyone has to start somewhere, sometime. Just do it. Find a small sporting goods store, introduce yourself and hang around and listen. Join the local RMEF chapter and help out. You’ll learn more faster when local folks get to know you.

I’ve been in a similar position as you the last year. My biggest tools to learning from scratch are from hours upon hours of listening and watching as much content I can get my hands on:
Randy and Remi Warren’s Podcasts
Randy and Meateater YouTube pages
Steve Rinella’s latest book on wilderness skills and survival.
And learning everything I can on HuntTalk of course.
Something important to not overlook is your physical conditioning. You can learn everything under the moon and have all the nick nacks but all is for none if you can’t get up the mountain.
Good Luck

I live and hunt unit 70. Do not even think about the lone cone wilderness area. It looks like a horse trailer sales yard. No bs, best of luck in your quest!!

My best advice to you would be to take advantage of the extended deadline and buy an elk preference point in CO if you haven’t already. (Deadline is tomorrow, April 9.) Then, in 2022, apply for a first rifle season tag in a unit you can draw with 1 point. With a little analysis of the harvest reports on the CPW website, I think you’ll see that most of those first rifle hunts are better opportunities than the OTC seasons.

My best advice to you would be to take advantage of the extended deadline and buy an elk preference point in CO if you haven’t already. Then, in 2022, apply for a first rifle season tag in a unit you can draw with 1 point. With a little analysis of the harvest reports on the CPW website, I think you’ll see that most of those first rifle hunts are better opportunities than the OTC seasons

Last year was my first time hunting elk, and I spent a lot of time preparing watching videos and listening to podcasts. I spent 5 days on the mountain hiked over 34 miles by myself seen plenty of mule deer and moose, a bear, but no elk. Regardless of not seeing any elk it was the best time hunting I have had in a long time. To prepare for the hunt I lost around 50 pounds, and hiked most of the summer with a 30 pound pack on my back around my state park back here in Indiana.

Since returning from my trip I have lost another 45 pounds, and in mid-May I plan on starting to hike and get ready. This season I am taking my brother in law as a hunting partner which should make it a better time than being by myself. If I were you I would apply for the draw if you want to hunt first season rifle there are plenty of units that you can draw with 0 points. If you decide to apply I would use your first choice and put in for the preference point, and use the second choice to apply for a unit that you can draw with 0 points. I use the Go Hunt website to figure out which units I can draw without burning points.

Get out there and hunt to get some experience you won't regret it. Know your limitations, and spend a good amount of time hiking with a pack to get the right muscles prepared. Also when hiking find some steep terrain and walk up and down and side to side. You want to prepare your ankles side hilling is no joke. Good Luck!

My advice would be to find a good outfitter. Talk in depth with them and make sure you are getting the style of hunt you are looking for.

Hey - I'm in a similar boat as you: inexperienced at elk hunting (only been going for a few years) and travelling by truck from the deep south out west to OTC hunts. Below are the main things I relied/rely on to wrap my brain around this potentially daunting endeavor.

1. Podcasts - I listen to Elk Talk, Hunt Talk, and the Jay Scott Outdoors podcasts frequently, year round. Just a good way to get that information floating around in my head, and there are individual episodes on any particular topic you need specific info on.
2. Youtube Day by Days - The day-by-day series that people/channels like Randy, Elk101, BRO produce are excellent. They are not only entertaining, but highly educational for someone like me. They are one of the only ways I can really see and appreciate the difficulties of big country elk hunting, being from AL. Some people may not agree with the tactics etc. utilized on certain shows, or may not like the personalities of different groups, but they definitely convey the low odds and scope of challenges facing public land elk hunters.
3. Bag Dumps - When I was trying to figure out what gear I needed and what crap to buy, I watched a lot of these "backpack dump" vids on Youtube. Find some hunters that are knowledgeable (like Randy or some of the GoHunt contributors), see how they organize their stuff, see what gear commonly overlaps in everbody's pack, and start making yourself a list.
4. Courses - Elk101's University of Elk Hunting online course is probably the holy grail for newbie hunters like me, but there are others out there as well. Personally I've done the UEH courses and another online series from Roe Hunting Resources. I found both extremely useful and would recommend to anyone just getting started.
thank you for the info i listen to hunt talk and elk talk just about every day. there is so much good info on both of them. I will look into the day by bay that will thank you again.

Last year was my first time hunting elk, and I spent a lot of time preparing watching videos and listening to podcasts. I spent 5 days on the mountain hiked over 34 miles by myself seen plenty of mule deer and moose, a bear, but no elk. Regardless of not seeing any elk it was the best time hunting I have had in a long time. To prepare for the hunt I lost around 50 pounds, and hiked most of the summer with a 30 pound pack on my back around my state park back here in Indiana.

Since returning from my trip I have lost another 45 pounds, and in mid-May I plan on starting to hike and get ready. This season I am taking my brother in law as a hunting partner which should make it a better time than being by myself. If I were you I would apply for the draw if you want to hunt first season rifle there are plenty of units that you can draw with 0 points. If you decide to apply I would use your first choice and put in for the preference point, and use the second choice to apply for a unit that you can draw with 0 points. I use the Go Hunt website to figure out which units I can draw without burning points.

Get out there and hunt to get some experience you won't regret it. Know your limitations, and spend a good amount of time hiking with a pack to get the right muscles prepared. Also when hiking find some steep terrain and walk up and down and side to side. You want to prepare your ankles side hilling is no joke. Good Luck!
Thank you for the info I just got my pack yesterday that is the next thing on my list is to put about 30 to 40 pounds in it and start hiking with it. Best of luck to you and your brother in law hope you find the elk.

I keep getting on my ONX maps and looking at all the OCT units and units I can draw with 0 points and when I look at it the maps it is just like it all runs together. That is something I am working on like trying to find good places to glass from and what kind of food is there that kind of thing that is why i have yet to pick a unit. But I keep catching my self going back to GUNNISON NATL FOREST. I was just wondering what it is like there in October or November if anyone has been there that time of year. thank you in advance for the information.

Hiking with a pack is a good idea, but even walking a minimum distance every day will help you greatly. It’s not as daunting as it may appear if you get into shape for the activity. You may find them in the nasty timber on the other side of the mountain, ambush one when they reappear at dark. You great hunter, what a day! Well shit, now you’re in the dark deep in the woods, ain’t nobody coming to get you. That’s the sort of grit you should have when you do this and improving your physical fitness will help you so very much. Good luck and layer up!

ya I am working on getting in better shape that is on the top of my list. Dragging a deer out last year made me realize by my self made me realize I am not as young as I once was and need to work on getting in shape. Thank you for your help.

Find someone to go with you. Better if they have elk and/or mountain experience but anyone who is willing to work will make it easier. Packing an elk out is no small feat and when you are tired at the end of a long day of hunting, company in the mountains is nice.

Find someone to go with you. Better if they have elk and/or mountain experience but anyone who is willing to work will make it easier. Packing an elk out is no small feat and when you are tired at the end of a long day of hunting, company in the mountains is nice.
Ya that would be nice to just have someone to share the moment wit.

If your plan is to do an OTC hunt in Taylor Park you don't need someone to hunt with you. You'll have so much company that you'll find it hard to believe anybody gets an elk.

Rut is over and the elk are hiding. Especially, the mature bulls.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back