Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New to elk hunting

matthew1911

I am looking in to go to Colorado and doing a over the counter bull elk tag. I am doing research and trying my best to make sure I am picking a good unit. is there anything that you could tell me about how to pick a place to do otc elk hunt. This will be my first time in Colorado and my first time ever elk hunting. Are there any tips for picking a unit to go to or just how to hunt for elk in general I greatly. I have the on-x hunting maps and I have been trying to do some e scouting also thank you for your help.

There are tons of guys on here with some helpful information. Jump on the search function and dive in. Do you know if you are wanting to rifle or bow hunt? That may help narrow it down a bit.

Click this link and read it all. Then call up the DOW and talk to a hunt planner.

Pick a wilderness area or national forest area and make the commitment to hunt that same unit or area a couple of years in a row so you can learn it. There are elk everywhere in the state but exactly when they are there will take some practice. Pick public and stick with that. “Good units” are draw only units. If it is your first elk don’t pass any legal elk that you can shoot. You will regret it if you do.

I like to look for areas that have alot of public land and a moderate amount of access. Wilderness areas are awesome if you have horses but if not they can be tough because you are hedging your bet on one small spot. An area with moderate vehicle/atv acess can at least let you bounce around easily and then hike out.

Calling the forest service can go along way if you ask the right questions. Also if your new to a spot I try and make my self and my camp as mobile as possible. So if your two or so days into a hunt moving on to another areas isn’t the end of the world if your not finding elk. Happy hunting

I will give you the advice I would give everyone starting out with elk. Been chasing these wonderful critters for over 40 years.

1) Sept. Archery first and foremost! (this will give you the greatest opportunity to see elk, chase elk & possibly punch a tag. I have hunted just about every season and just believe Sept archery is the absolutely hands down best place to acquire experience quickly). My .02
2) Cow spike tags! (Don't limit yourself to landing a bull tag. Hunting cows and spikes really ups your success rate and will give you a 100% elk hunting experience minus big antlers)
3) DO NOT step into western hunting without understanding and having a true handle on land navigation, map and compass skills. (elk can lead a hunter into some pretty wild places. I have seen hunters completely turned around and in a panic after chasing a herd of elk and they were only .9 miles form a road. No map and new GPS they didn't know how to operate)

DO NOT PUT IT OFF! GO HUNT ELK. THE ONLY WAY TO LEARN IS TO GET OUT THERE. Elk hunting is not an elitist venue. As difficult as some people can make it sound it's something anyone can do.

Recent simple article on getting started. It's really mostly about "backpack hunting" but it applies to all types of elk hunting including basecamps, road hunting and so on.

Where are you from? If you have not spent a lot of time in the rockies or another tall mountain range, by all means go check it out. Do some hiking and tromping around. For some inspiration I recommend Randy Newberg’s CO elk and mule deer hunting videos on YouTube too, and I know Meateater (Netflix or Dailymotion) has at least one as well. Elk101 has a class on elk hunting - there is a cost - but also a ton of info. Nearly any unit can be a “good” unit - depends what you are wanting out of your experience, such as solitude, type of terrain, truck vs backpack, if you’ll have pack animals, what time of year you want to hunt, trophy potential, etc, etc

Welcome to elk hunting, mate! Hope you have already got more valuable info from the above hunters. I just want to quote a sentence here which I like most from above "DO NOT PUT IT OFF! GO HUNT ELK. THE ONLY WAY TO LEARN IS TO GET OUT THERE " Thanks

About 20% of bull elk tags get punched each autumn out West. Perhaps 80% of that 20% are mostly the same hunters year after year in some cases. That leaves a new hunter about 1:20 odds to fill a bull elk tag.

If are going solo for that first hunt or not with someone that has successfully elk hunted then is very likely do not punch your tag in Year 1 and maybe not for several hunts.

My advice is hunt elk with someone who has hunted elk successfully and that might mean hiring a guide. A guide can also help with not getting lost, not setting up in the wrong spot as thermals are about to change and getting your vehicle stranded. Game laws can be gotchas, too.

Stay safe however you go about the adventure, jot down daily notes about what is going well and not so good so can review as plan the second trip out West, take lots of pictures and soak up the immense ruggedness and beauty which you will encounter.

Lots of good advice already. Picking a "good unit" might depend on your objective - High chance of success, avoiding other hunters, big bull, etc. As a new hunter, I'm guessing you're mostly after a high chance of success. See attached for a snapshot of some OTC rifle units.

Attachments

• Rifle2ndOTC.png
    Rifle2ndOTC.png
    93.8 KB · Views: 44
When you get your selection narrowed down to 2-3 spend the time to study some topographic maps and possibly ariel photos/ google earth. Look for access: trails, roads, camping spots. There are wonderful elk locations that are plenty brutal to a pilgrim. I have been at it for nearly 60 years and when I pick a new area to recon I spend a sizable amount of time studying my options. After I have been there I have portions shaded on the map with big letters "Don't go here!!!" lest I forget. As I get older I tend to filter out places that are beyond my physical capabilities. Do it right and you get to do it again!

So I did not get a chance to go to CO last year had to much going on. So I am making it my goal to go on my first elk hunt in 2022. What are some of the must that you should take with you on a elk hunt. I am looking for a pack that won’t cost a ton but is still a good pack. I am going to be going on a mid season hunt like October or November not sure on how my schedule will work yet. Thank y’all for you help.

The search function is your friend; That being said I’m guessing you’re not use to the mountains. I’ll start. Boots will make or brake your hunt. Tire chains, even if you’re just going to a high country trail head, Shovel. Ive only hunted Colorado a couple of times, spend most of my time in Oregon and Montana. Elk are where you find them, don’t over think your gear. Get busy you’ve a couple months to get ready.

Salmonchaser made some great points. Chains, tow strap, traction boards, and shovels or anything else that might help you get out of a bind. Just wanted to echo on this advice because I live here and found myself buried in way more snow than I thought was on the ground this weekend and was unprepared. There was another truck up there in the same situation and he left a note saying he was walking to town, closest signal or town was 15-20 miles away. Ruined his day I am sure. Spend some time considering all possible needs lol.

The search function is your friend; That being said I’m guessing you’re not use to the mountains. I’ll start. Boots will make or brake your hunt. Tire chains, even if you’re just going to a high country trail head, Shovel. Ive only hunted Colorado a couple of times, spend most of my time in Oregon and Montana. Elk are where you find them, don’t over think your gear. Get busy you’ve a couple months to get ready.
Thank you for the information I would on never thought about tire chains. No I have never been to the mountains before hunting. I am from Tennessee we have some mountains but nothing like Colorado.

I half live in the Knoxville area and will retire there in a couple of years. If you are anywhere near the smokies try to take advantage of some elevation and hike it hard. It will pay dividends and let you see some of the most amazing landscapes out here.

I half live in the Knoxville area and will retire there in a couple of years. If you are anywhere near the smokies try to take advantage of some elevation and hike it hard. It will pay dividends and let you see some of the most amazing landscapes out here.
I am about three hours from the smokies. We ride are side by side close to Knoxville at Winrock it is beautiful out there and there are some elk there also.

I am looking in to go to Colorado and doing a over the counter bull elk tag. I am doing research and trying my best to make sure I am picking a good unit. is there anything that you could tell me about how to pick a place to do otc elk hunt. This will be my first time in Colorado and my first time ever elk hunting. Are there any tips for picking a unit to go to or just how to hunt for elk in general I greatly. I have the on-x hunting maps and I have been trying to do some e scouting also thank you for your help.
Nice!!! I want to go elk hunt real bad. Good luck and keep us updated. I live vicariously through you guys!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
applesauce4000
Back