New to elk hunting

I’m also in the first year boat. Searching the threads on here has been great. If you start to narrow your search of units. Use the thread search by unit number you will be surprised by how much information you will find searching that way. Also dming some of the knowledgeable people who’s post you read about specific units. I’ve found most people are willing to talk lay of the land what to expect but not give you their spot obviously. We are blessed to live in the time where online information is abundant. Between podcasts, YouTube channels, and specific websites like the UEH by Corey Jacobs. Your only limit to what you can learn is how fast you can read and how much information you retain from listening to people talk. If you run into problems finding specific info you feel you need DM me I maybe have already fell into the information and can share where I found it. Good luck it’s similar to drinking from a fire hose once you get going lol.

I’m also in the first year boat. Searching the threads on here has been great. If you start to narrow your search of units. Use the thread search by unit number you will be surprised by how much information you will find searching that way. Also dming some of the knowledgeable people who’s post you read about specific units. I’ve found most people are willing to talk lay of the land what to expect but not give you their spot obviously. We are blessed to live in the time where online information is abundant. Between podcasts, YouTube channels, and specific websites like the UEH by Corey Jacobs. Your only limit to what you can learn is how fast you can read and how much information you retain from listening to people talk. If you run into problems finding specific info you feel you need DM me I maybe have already fell into the information and can share where I found it. Good luck it’s similar to drinking from a fire hose once you get going lol.
Thank you for the information. I have been listening to elk talk and the hunt talk podcast they have thought me so much. I am trying to soak up all the information I can. Thank you for your help and good luck on your hunts.

Thank you for the information. I have been listening to elk talk and the hunt talk podcast they have thought me so much. I am trying to soak up all the information I can. Thank you for your help and good luck on your hunts.
thank you good luck to you as well check out Roes hunting resource you have to pay for onsite content but his YouTube videos are great he actually stops, explains what he’s doing while hunting. Why he’s sitting vs moving like real in depth reasoning plus he’s on a hunt it’s not diagram stuff. I really liked alot of his elk videos.

Get off the main trails, away from the atv’s, I still hunt north facing slopes all day. Never hurts to watch private boundaries either.

Get off the main trails, away from the atv’s, I still hunt north facing slopes all day. Never hurts to watch private boundaries either.
Thank you for the information. I have never been to Colorado before or any western state hunting before. That is where the big learning curve is going to be for me.

A lot of great advice here already. Last year was my first year, hunting CO on an OTC tag during 2nd rifle. If I could give one piece of advice to someone wanting to go for the first time, it's this: just go out and do it. I fully immersed myself in information, and though I learned a lot from videos, podcasts, forums, etc. I found that nothing was more valuable than just going out in the field and figuring it out. I ended up with tag soup in the end, but came away with a lot of lessons learned and more confidence going into this year. I'd recommend picking a unit with a lot of public land, with decent access and harvest rates. Make a plan and be prepared to change it when you get there. Enjoy your week in the woods and I hope you find a big one!

A lot of great advice here already. Last year was my first year, hunting CO on an OTC tag during 2nd rifle. If I could give one piece of advice to someone wanting to go for the first time, it's this: just go out and do it. I fully immersed myself in information, and though I learned a lot from videos, podcasts, forums, etc. I found that nothing was more valuable than just going out in the field and figuring it out. I ended up with tag soup in the end, but came away with a lot of lessons learned and more confidence going into this year. I'd recommend picking a unit with a lot of public land, with decent access and harvest rates. Make a plan and be prepared to change it when you get there. Enjoy your week in the woods and I hope you find a big one!
Truth! Just go out and do it. Someone new to cottontail hunting or bass fishing could just as easily fall into the hype and buy $5,000 worth of stuff. Plus a new truck, you know for hauling the bass boat or beagles.

But my first rabbit was shot using an old single shot 20ga and a paper shell my uncle wasn’t sure would still fire. Don’t recall what caught the first bass but probably a night crawler on a $10 Zebco rig. There are some men, I’ve met them, who have no trouble hunting elk in blue jeans with a 30-30. Had I grown up elk hunting I’d probably be just like that too. More time out there gives a man knowledge that cannot be taught or bought.

Here’s some advice about elk though, don’t hunt where elk aren’t. That’s something new hunters are always told and never understand until they are skunked by stubbornly staying anyway. Have prospective camps mapped and be ready to mobilize. Or at least different spots and launch out early from the motel.

I blew a stalk on a nice bull, probably 5x5 a couple years ago. Was at 55 yards (archery). I still replay my mistakes but I would never learn the lessons the same way except living it including adrenalin that kept me from going slow enough.

Back