New Theron Questa 10x42 HD-ED

I am interested in the binos and their spotter. I have heard nothing but good things about them. I would just hate to spend money in optics without trying them out first.

I intended to do some side by sides but they were so much better than my old leupold cascades I didn't even check. They were within my budget and better than I expected so I just left well enough alone. I don't think tou could go wrong with the questa sight unseen.

10x42's all the same?

So I'm in the need of a new pair of binos and after reading it seems 10x42's seem to be the sweet spot so I went and looked at them today at Cabelas. I looked at Vortex (Diamondback and Viper HP), Swaos and Leupold BX-3's.....

I for the life of me could not tell the difference from the $180 pair up to the $600 Vipers. I did like the Swar's but not $1700 like.

Am I missing something here? Why would I pay $600 when a $180 pair works the same? Is there a bigger difference in the real world outside at 600 yards that I can't tell in the store?

Last edited:
Low light conditions make a huge difference. You can hassle the salespeople to let you take a pair outside at dusk.

Another thing to check is the clarity around the edges of your field of view. You aren't always going to be looking dead center at a game animal.

So I'm in the need of a new pair of binos and after reading it seems 10x42's seem to be the sweet spot so I went and looked at them today at Cabelas. I looked at Vortex (Diamondback and Viper HP), Swaos and Leupold BX-3's.....

I for the life of me could not tell the difference from the $180 pair up to the $600 Vipers. I did like the Swar's but not $1700 like.

Am I missing something here? Why would I pay $600 when a $180 pair works the same? Is there a bigger difference in the real world outside at 600 yards that I can't tell in the store?
Inside a lit store differences will not show up that will in the field. One low end bino had a lens coating that was designed just for viewing in fluorescent light.

Just as a note about comparing optics in store. When I purchased my vortex viper hd, I spent a long time comparing back and fourth with the razor hd. I could tell no discernible difference in the store whatsoever, but a good friend and hunting buddy got the razors and we had the chance to do extended side by side comparisons several times while out hunting. In both our opinions, there was a very noticeable difference between them out in the woods. The clarity and brightness was without question better on the razors, they seemed to offer 10-15 minutes of glassing time at first and last light, and fatigue was much less while glassing for extended (2 hour plus) times. Could not believe how much different they were in the real world, when I really couldn't tell any difference in the store.

From what I have seen, Garrett, Yes. It is almost a rigged environment in the stores, to make whatever you look through appear way better than what you have at home used in the field.

I would not buy another pair of binos without looking through them at low light, outdoors. Most places will let you, and if they won't I would go somewhere else. I have done it at Joe's and the Roger's Cabela's before.

I don't think you need to go crazy spending money, but there is certainly a difference.

Testing should be done outside. Looking into the sun at hard to read objects. Compare clarity to the edges. If interested I could send out a pair of Questa's for you to compare to others.All you would be out is the return shipping if you decided not to buy them.

Next time I will take them outside, seems like I should have done that the other day :) Thanks for the offer Schmatls, I may need to take you up on that offer after I go look at them again.

One year later: Ordered a pair of Theron Wapiti LT 10x42 bins Feb 22, last year. Received them 2-3 days later. Excellent service IMHO. Opened the box to find a very well made product with a solid feel, and attractive design. I liked them! When adjusting them to take my first look, I was somewhat dismayed to find that the right eye cup felt considerably looser than the left... too loose not to be an issue, albeit minor. This was immediately forgotten when I looked through the bins! Very impressive image!! Bright, and clear, edge to edge! Great depth of field, with very minimal CA. I have been using this binocular 4-5 days a week for one year+, and it has performed admirably. Locking diopter is great. There has been no worsening of the loose eye cup issue, and it proved to be less of a problem than I expected, with the setting holding place very well. ...Patrick

Back