Caribou Gear Tarp

New rules may keep hunters’ ATVs on the road

Ithaca 37

More good news on the ATV front!!! :D

New rules may keep hunters’ ATVs on the road
F&G to restrict Boise River drainage in fall

Hunters who use ATVs in the Boise River drainage, the most popular big game hunting area in the state, could be restricted to roads during this fall´s big game season.
The plan is part of the Idaho Department of Fish and Game´s proposed hunting regulations for Southwest Idaho. The agency is taking public comments next week at a series of open houses.

F&G commissioners will review public comments and department recommendations before setting big game rules and seasons at their regular meeting March 24-26 in Boise.

ATV restrictions would affect units 39, 40 and 22 in Southwest Idaho. With a few exceptions, ATVs could only be used on roads “open to motorized vehicle traffic capable of travel by full-sized automobiles,” according to F&G regulations. An agency survey estimates that about half of Idaho´s big game hunters use ATVs.

The agency wants to stop people from hunting from their ATVs because people who use them to hunt are more likely to kill more animals, hurting deer and elk populations. Hunting from an ATV is more efficient because hunters can find and follow animals better. The agency also is concerned that hunters are riding where they could cause damage or are not allowed.

“I think it stinks,” said 75-year-old Milt Atkinson, who uses his ATV to elk hunt west of Grimes Creek. “I sure would want to protest what they´re thinking of doing.”

Atkinson said he drives his ATV about three miles down a trail to access his hunting spot.

“For me, it would eliminate hunting because I can´t walk long distances,” he said.

Other hunters, however, say they support efforts to stop abuses of ATV riders.

ATV restrictions are already in place in 16 of F&G´s 99 hunting units. Last year, F&G applied them to units 32 and 32A. Even with the restrictions, however, ATVs can still be used during hunting seasons to retrieve downed game or set up and remove camps, even if you´re not on a road.

The rule was “very well received by the public,” said F&G conservation officer Jeff Wolfe, who added that most hunters complied with it.

Unit 39 encompasses most of the Boise River drainage. About 9,600 deer hunters and 2,800 elk hunters pursued game there in 2002.

Unit 40 includes most of the western portion of the Owyhee desert south of the Snake River, and Unit 22 covers most of the area east of U.S. 95 between Cambridge and New Meadows to the Snake River.

Idaho had 68,500 registered ATVs and motorcycles in 2002, doubled since 1997 and a 10-fold increase since 1987.

Kevin Rose of Middleton supports the rule because less ATV access will mean better hunting.

Rose hunted for 12 days last year during a late-season mule deer hunt in Unit 40. He saw few bucks but lots of hunters on ATVs.

“If you don´t have ATV access, it will definitely curtail harvest down there,” he said.

Rose uses an ATV to get to his hunting areas, but said other hunters use them to pursue game, which is illegal.

“It´s too easy to ride up and shoot them,” he said.

He added that F&G will have a hard time enforcing the rule in Unit 40 because it´s difficult to identify roads in the desert.

Richard Renstrom of Boise uses a motorcycle to hunt grouse. He supports efforts to curb abuses by ATV riders during hunting season, but disagrees with the agency´s methods.

“F&G does not have the legal authority to control transportation on federal lands,” Renstrom said. “That´s an area where they are treading on damn thin ice, legally.”

But F&G officials say they are only regulating hunters on ATVs, not recreational riders.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/Features/IdahoOutdoors/story.asp?ID=61979&S=

“open to motorized vehicle traffic capable of travel by full-sized automobiles,”

I like that!! :D

Last year, when I provided my comments on no ATVs, I specifically suggested Unit 40 and how that unit needs the Ban, the worst.

Score 1 for the Gunner.....

Bummer for Ten Beers....

We'll see in time how the score falls out. Dissatisfy enough hunters, and it will be seen financially.

Here are a couple of questions you should ask the f&g folks: What is the age structure of the hunters? Is it going up or down? How many "kids" are being retained after the first couple of years following hunter safety? Has the number of hunters doubled in the last 6 years?

Ten Bears,
Would you agree that hunter numbers are lower now than in the 70's? Would you agree that ATV numbers are higher now than in the 70's? I'm not saying there's a correlation, just showing you how silly your logic is. Because if what you're saying is true, we should have seen an increase in hunters as ATV's increased. Since we didn't, I'll assume that most of the hunters out there know how to do it without an ATV. If they're to LAZY to do it that way...good riddence.

Oak

Dissatisfy enough hunters, and it will be seen financially.
How long would that take considering that the bulk of ID's F&G budgets come from non-residents? I'm betting that most non-residents are traveling to ID, the state with the most wilderness in the lower 48, to hunt off of ATVs. Now, if the closures allow areas to start producing the bucks ID was famous for in the '60s-'70s how many more non-residents would be willing to go there to hunt?

What I meant to type, "I'm betting that most non-residents that are traveling to ID, the state with the most wilderness in the lower 48, are not going there with the purpose/intent to hunt of ATVs"

Thanks for keeping me in check.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back