New ruger american Gen II

I've been wanting an all weather 7-08 with a short length of pull for a while, mainly for spring bear hunting. I was planning on getting a much nicer rifle, but this new American checked literally every box for what I was wanting. I figured it was worth the $500 gamble. Everything feels good on it, but the fit and finish is terrible.

I'm planning on swapping the magazine over to the flush fit of the first generation. Obviously I'm going to be removing a lot of plastic also.

View attachment 312137

View attachment 312138
Curious what Ruger says and does about this.

As far as the magazine, a three rounder should be close to flush fit. I like AICS mags, personally. I'd bet it feeds better than the rotary mag.

I'm paying extra. That mag hanging down would never work for me personally. mtmuley
Paying extra for them bells and whistles. Bling sells I guess 🤣

I’m kidding. For a dedicated hunting rifle that I’m packing around all day I’m right there with you. But for a coyote calling rifle or a youth rifle I’m fine with them.

Paying extra for them bells and whistles. Bling sells I guess 🤣

I’m kidding. For a dedicated hunting rifle that I’m packing around all day I’m right there with you. But for a coyote calling rifle or a youth rifle I’m fine with them.
So drop the fluting and offer a flush mag. Problem solved. I don't care for magazines in a hunting rifle at all. All personal preference. mtmuley

Why the AICS magazine on a hunting rifle? What are the benefits? mtmuley
Well - for one thing you can get 3, 5, and 10 round magazines. The magazines are cheaper, non-proprietary, polymer/steel, and are of generally better quality than OEM magazines. Here's what a 3rd looks like, flushish in most rifles (not my rifle pictured).
1706653183355.png

Well - for one thing you can get 3, 5, and 10 round magazines. The magazines are cheaper, non-proprietary, polymer/steel, and are of generally better quality than OEM magazines. Here's what a 3rd looks like, flushish in most rifles (not my rifle pictured).
View attachment 313226
Flush is better. Don't need 10 rounds in a hunting rifle. mtmuley

@mtmuley you should try one....got a 5.56 last week, still waiting on 6.5 to show up... finally got around to getting a scope mounted that I had laying around. Got my thread adaptor coming, should be here this week hope it shoots like the others we have. Going to shoot this weekend and see how it does.
They really made some nice upgrades and the price didn't jump way up.

Attachments

• 20240130_202337.jpg
    20240130_202337.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 23
I handled one and it felt great. I love the 3 pos safety locking bolt. I vowed never to buy another rifle that didn't have one. Maybee a 6cr or 300 wm for me.

Back