Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

New ruger american Gen II

I've been wanting an all weather 7-08 with a short length of pull for a while, mainly for spring bear hunting. I was planning on getting a much nicer rifle, but this new American checked literally every box for what I was wanting. I figured it was worth the $500 gamble. Everything feels good on it, but the fit and finish is terrible.

I'm planning on swapping the magazine over to the flush fit of the first generation. Obviously I'm going to be removing a lot of plastic also.

20240123_134333.jpg

20240123_134403.jpg

I've been wanting an all weather 7-08 with a short length of pull for a while, mainly for spring bear hunting. I was planning on getting a much nicer rifle, but this new American checked literally every box for what I was wanting. I figured it was worth the $500 gamble. Everything feels good on it, but the fit and finish is terrible.

I'm planning on swapping the magazine over to the flush fit of the first generation. Obviously I'm going to be removing a lot of plastic also.

View attachment 312137

View attachment 312138
Buy it in store or online?

View attachment 312137

View attachment 312138
Thanks for the info Randy. That’s about how my first gen looked in the factory plastic. I even had to do some material removal on the Stocky’s laminate before I bedded it.

Yikes seems like it favoring the right side a touch 😆 🤣
Still waiting on mine to show up, my predators weren't that bad but I did clean them up a bit. Ruger should do you right, post up your results.

Its too bad they cant get that right - that literally turns me off to the rifle... How hard is it to center the barrel in the stock channel .

Considering lots of gunsmiths would charge a guy the entire purchase price of a RAR2 to flute and muzzle thread a barrel and then cerakote a barreled action, it’s not surprising they aren’t all leaving the factory in tip top shape.

Controlling as many variables as possible, ie using the same factory ammo m, with the same tolerances (Hornady Match) my tikka is more accurate than my Christiansen.

Even with my handloads, where I get phenomenal results with my CA (repeatable 5 shot groups sub 4” at 600 yards) I still get better groups with the tikka.

I’m not saying my Christiansen is a bad rifle, it’s impressively accurate and it’s got a permanent place in my safe, but head to head my tikka is better value for the money.
Just curious are they both the same cartridge?

View attachment 312137

View attachment 312138
Had the same issue with my Gen 1 American. I took a sandpaper wrapped dowel to it and got good clearance, then stiffened up the forearm with 2 part epoxy and added some weight with lead sinkers. Filled the butt end with spray foam and painted the whole thing. Really cleaned up well and made a big difference in the overall feel of the gun. $20 fix netted me probably $100 when I turned around and sold it.

Let us know how it shoots.

View attachment 312137

View attachment 312138
I like the look, but dang. Did you contact ruger? I'd send them this picture. I like to think they'd send you a new stock. Has to just be warped I'd think.

I sent them the whole gun. They seemed concerned that it could be something either the barreled action.

I've opened them up in the past like @Wild Bill mentioned, but this one seemed worse to me.
I'm looking forward to hearing how Ruger handles it! Keep us updated.

Hopefully they step up quality control. That shouldn't have been put in a box. But I'm guessing they're rushing guns out the door right now...

Dang….seems like a lot of value for the money! Hopefully it shoots decent hunting groups when you get it back. If so, not sure how you could beat it for: kid‘s first rifle / someone new to hunting / budget conscious folks / or someone that wants to beat the hell out of a gun and not worry about it…..etc etc. Fills a lot of niches! The pessimist in me thinks it may be too good to be true.

I’ll drop it down to it’s shortest length of pull and find some rings laying around to put on it and see how it shoots. If it shoots like the older Americans did it will be a keeper. Let the kids burn the barrel out in it. If it shoots good ruger is going to sell a ton of these especially for a youth rifle.
DECD98AA-F8B1-425D-979A-A1C4A4A5AED5.jpeg7C34AE0A-6475-482D-B376-3F128393F64A.jpegFD5BE9F2-9C9B-417F-BB9F-BF4C121D95E0.jpeg

I’ll drop it down to it’s shortest length of pull and find some rings laying around to put on it and see how it shoots. If it shoots like the older Americans did it will be a keeper. Let the kids burn the barrel out in it. If it shoots good ruger is going to sell a ton of these especially for a youth rifle.
View attachment 313213View attachment 313214View attachment 313215
They should drop the fluting and the price. Bling sells though I guess. mtmuley

They should drop the fluting and the price. Bling sells though I guess. mtmuley

$589. Action feels WAY better than the original. Tough to find a rifle around that price that shoots as good as these do. Use to be able to get a Remington adl $325-$350 now they are $200 more for an adl. Even the dogshit 783 that was $200 is almost $500 now

Back