New ruger american Gen II

I'll be interested to handle them. The Americans are always where I steer folks for entry level guns that are still good value. The original stocks were not stiff enough and the trigger are just acceptable, but for the money good guns. I want to see how they compare to the Weatherby 307s as well which have many of the same features.
How do you like the 307s? I got
To check out the Ruger but haven’t seen a new weatherby in stock anywhere yet

Bought one in 7mmHT a week ago... I wasnt a fan of the original Ruger American simply because I could get a Savage Axis that I knew would look about the same and probably shoot just as good if not better for substantially less.
Bought it for the oldest to use as her everything gun since she is growing out of her 243. The rifle felt good. Trigger felt ok. Adjustable LOP was nice. I dunno how I feel about the twisted barrel but I liked the grey cerakote finish. For 560 out the door I was happy with the price. Sighted it in a few days ago and after doing my normal break in process and was pleasantly surprised how well it shot. It was shooting cheap core lockts sub MOA. Tried some hand loaded Accubonds and its probably around .7 or so... I will take that any day of the week with what it offers for the price.

How do you like the 307s? I got
To check out the Ruger but haven’t seen a new weatherby in stock anywhere yet
I haven't been able to shoot them yet but as far as handling I really like them. Nice stock with pull and cheek riser adjustments, Trigger Tech trigger, fluting and threaded barrel. Seems well thought out. We have sold quite a few.

I have one of the GoWild editions that I've been very happy with, will probably add one of the new models for my son when the lefty versions come out.

I would be interested to see hands on reports. I have a gen 1 predator in 223 and it is great for plinking.

I like the American line. They catch a lot of flack, but they're great shooting rifles. I'm excited to see them adding more variety. Sometimes it's nice to have a beater rifle that shoots great
Sounds like a heck of a rifle for the money! I am thinking possibly a Ruger American in 7mm08 with a Mcarbo trigger spring. Would probably make a nice all weather beater gun, deer rifle! I would just leave my fancy wood stocked expensive rifles in the gun cabinet on a rainy/snowy day. Of course, that was my justification for buying my Windham Weaponry AR15 in .300 Blackout...which is a relatively cheap 150 yard foul weather deer rifle that shoots dimes at 100 yards, lol!

Last edited:
Controlling as many variables as possible, ie using the same factory ammo m, with the same tolerances (Hornady Match) my tikka is more accurate than my Christiansen.

Even with my handloads, where I get phenomenal results with my CA (repeatable 5 shot groups sub 4” at 600 yards) I still get better groups with the tikka.

I’m not saying my Christiansen is a bad rifle, it’s impressively accurate and it’s got a permanent place in my safe, but head to head my tikka is better value for the money.
I get value for the money. And I don't have any Tikkas. mtmuley

I get value for the money. And I don't have any Tikkas. mtmuley
I believe the market is saturated with capable rifles. Savage Tikka Ruger American would be where I look to buy if I bought another gun. In that order. But my main concern is it hits where I aim, a lot of other factors play in to how others choose rifles.

I believe the market is saturated with capable rifles. Savage Tikka Ruger American would be where I look to buy if I bought another gun. In that order. But my main concern is it hits where I aim, a lot of other factors play in to how others choose rifles.
Bought my last new rifle in 2000. When I get them tuned up I keep them. No need to change. mtmuley

Some of the reviews I have read are positive. WhoTeeWho likes the ones he has reviewed. Personally I will wait for the 7mm PRC version and am hoping that flavor will include a 22" or 24" barrel.

Got our first one yesterday. It's in 204 Ruger. The stock is a very big upgrade much stiffer and texture. Spiral flute, brake/threaded, cerakote, comb inserts and adjustable LOP. Bolt seems a bit smoother than previous, trigger a touch better too. Price is $579.99 ......so 50 LESS than the old Predator .

Got our first one yesterday. It's in 204 Ruger. The stock is a very big upgrade much stiffer and texture. Spiral flute, brake/threaded, cerakote, comb inserts and adjustable LOP. Bolt seems a bit smoother than previous, trigger a touch better too. Price is $579.99 ......so 50 LESS than the old Predator .
Price point seems pretty good considering.

Im considering one of these in 308 to kind of round out my hunting rifle selection. I have one of the older model predators in 6.5 that I cut down, added a Timney, then bedded into a Stocky’s laminate. It’s killed a lot of deer! All the extra work and upgrades on it though and I probably just could have bought a nicer rifle to begin with.

I really need to hold one of these in person to decide. I like the flash and pizazz of the flutes…..guess I’m a metro….sexual. 🤷‍♂️

Back