Yeti GOBOX Collection

New rifle, or upgrade the one you own?

Upgrade current rifle or buy a new one in a bigger caliber?

• Total voters
I was back and forth for a while on looking for something lighter than my Bergara HMR in .308. After 3 seasons of lugging it around I am getting a little tired of an 11lb rifle. On the other hand I love the way it shoots and find myself having trouble reaching for any of the other options on the rack. I ended up just deciding to get a lighter stock and upgrade the scope. I will most likely keep the HMR stock for long range fun.

Hypothetically of course, you own a 30-06, happy with the rifle and scope on it now. Do you buy another of the same rifle in 300 win mag OR spend that money on upgrading the stock and barrel on the 30-06?

Also you live in the east and hunt out west once a year if that makes any difference.

What a delima! Upgrade the 30-06 to 300 mag or upgrade the stock and barrel. What is it you think you need to up grade? When I was younger I did shoot magnum's, these days I wouldn't shoot one shot through one! Only one thing I think a 300 win does better than a 30-06, handle heavier bullet's and tear up lighter bullet's. I'd keep the 30-06 and just fix it up so I like it better!

You live in the east and hunt out west so need more than a 30-06? Unreal how many people buy into that! Most people I know that hunt out here don't shoot magnums in fact a lot of people out here shoot 30-30's! My magnum days were spent in Montana, really though I needed one then. Have never shot at but one big game animal past about 250yds! I got the word about range's needed to shoot out here by hunting out here!

Something about long range shooting out here. It's just like long range shooting in Penn! If your doing it, it's because you choose to! I think your just trying to be talked into buying a new gun, do it!

Back