New rifle for deer

Moeness

Tired of getting texts from people with their deer during rifle season. Haven’t had much luck bow hunting so I want to get a nice rifle for next season. Looking for something strictly for deer with lighter recoil so my daughter can use it also. From my research online and here, I think a 243 or 25-06 would be perfect. Still open to suggestions though. Leaning towards a 25-06 because I went out with my FIL last year and he let me use his Ruger M77 MII in 25-06. Nice gun. Felt comfortable, of course didn’t get a shot off. So, couple of questions:
- Looked at the Ruger, the REM 700, Savage 110. What others are comparable?
- am I really going to notice a difference between a 22” vs. 24” vs. 26” barrel? If not, the Tikka comes into play.
- I’m looking locally but if I don’t find one, where can I find a reputable dealer online? Seems like I’ve been everywhere; Gunprime, GoG, Gunbroker, Buds….

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully find something during Black Friday!

I love my Tikka and recommend it to anyone who will listen. At least around here (MN), 243 is much more widely available. I also might recommend stepping up to a 6.5, as the factory availability really opens up without a significant increase in recoil.

I love my Tikka and recommend it to anyone who will listen. At least around here (MN), 243 is much more widely available. I also might recommend stepping up to a 6.5, as the factory availability really opens up without a significant increase in recoil.
Where are you at in MN? I’m from the north Metro area. Usually hunt up by Braham.

Any of the rifles you mentioned would be great choices in .243 or 6.5 Creedmoor. I like my Tikka alot. Howas are nice. Weatherbys, Winchesters... Find a big store and try a few of them on for size.

If you choose the 25-06 I think you will be best served by staying with a 24" (or longer) barrel. A long barrel benefits a 243 also, but they seem to do fine with a 22".

If you can find a Remington 700 it will be very easy to find aftermarket parts such as better triggers and perhaps a youth stock to fit the young lady. Sometimes you can get a fair price on Gunbroker, and sometimes not, but it is worth a look. Good luck with your search.

@VikingsGuy did a deep dive on the various rifles out there in that class. It's worth the read:

I'd look at the 7mm-08 as well as the 6.5 creedmoor. Both solid choices in chamberings for up too elk, but without the felt recoil of the larger cartridges. The 243 is pretty inexpensive to feed. The 25-06 is a solid choice as well, but ammo availability may be a bit more limited.

Tired of getting texts from people with their deer during rifle season. Haven’t had much luck bow hunting so I want to get a nice rifle for next season. Looking for something strictly for deer with lighter recoil so my daughter can use it also. From my research online and here, I think a 243 or 25-06 would be perfect. Still open to suggestions though. Leaning towards a 25-06 because I went out with my FIL last year and he let me use his Ruger M77 MII in 25-06. Nice gun. Felt comfortable, of course didn’t get a shot off. So, couple of questions:
- Looked at the Ruger, the REM 700, Savage 110. What others are comparable?
- am I really going to notice a difference between a 22” vs. 24” vs. 26” barrel? If not, the Tikka comes into play.
- I’m looking locally but if I don’t find one, where can I find a reputable dealer online? Seems like I’ve been everywhere; Gunprime, GoG, Gunbroker, Buds….

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully find something during Black Friday!

Strictly deer...I'd choose .243 Win actually. More bullet choices, less recoil, less noise, and a lot more choices in firearms.

I just got my daughter a 6.5 Creedmoor, Browning x-bolt, compact with a 20" barrel and synthetic stock. I've shot it out to 400 yards with great results. With the muzzle break it kicks less than a.243. 6.5 bullets are relatively easy to find and you can shoot a wide range of bullet grains from 90 - up to 160 or more for a wide variety of game. We've been shooting the 143 grain Hornady eldx.

Why don't you find someone that might let you try out a rifle in the cartridges your thinking about. About the daughter, how old is she? bad thing about the 25-06 is muzzle balst. I shoot one and recoil is not a problem for me but them I've been shooting about 60 yrs and am fairly good size. Then again some fairly slight people shoot cartridges with substantial recoil and doesn't seem to bother them. Kid here in town lives with his grand dad and all he has is a 30-30 and the kid shot it, no complaint's about recoil. Took him out and let him shoot my 6.5x55 and no complaint's about recoil. Finally let him shoot a 243 and still no complaint but ask him what he wants to shoot and every time it's the 243. Kid just sucks it up and shoots heavier recoil if it's all he has to shoot. Your daughter may do the same thing or worse. Could be if you let her shoot to much recoil you'll turn her off shooting all together. Before you get a rifle with the idea of her shooting it also, try to find a few for her to try. I wouldn't try a 25-06 with her for no other reason than it is going to recoil more than a cartridge on a smaller case. 243 is a 308 case and 25-06 is a 30-06 case. And If you can find some rifles for her to try, start at about the 243 and work your way up. Don't start with heavier recoil from the git go. 243 works for her, try a 25 or 26 cal cartridge. Then she has something to compare to. Give her the 26 cal first and she doesn't care for it might spook her going down the the 243! Don't spook her!

Last edited:
Hi Don thank you mentioning the 6x55...a great choice. Light recoil and not crazy muzzle blast... I’m not familiar where the original poster hunts, Fields,quarries 200,400,600 yard shots, woods etc. 6x55 more than enough to hunt deer with. My brother-in-law told me just shy of 50 years ago “ kid shot placement “... I have been following that advice ever since. Good Luck

Thanks for the input everybody. We’re going this weekend to feel out a couple and see what we both like. My daughter is 15. She expressed interest in wanting to get out into the woods so we’ve been hanging trail cams here and there. She seems to enjoy it. It’s quality time spent with a teenager if anything. Plan is to start with squirrels and eventually deer.

Definitely get a Tikka. And really either a .243 or 25-06 will be entirely adequate. 25-06 is very fast and flat shooting, but the ammo is more expensive and can be hard to find... We'll I guess all ammo is hard to find these days. But Ive always been a fan of the .243. My wife, daughter, and I have killed a pile of deer with it. Mulies, whitetails, bucks and does. Good gun. I've done a little predator hunting with my short-barrelled Remington 600 too.

I'll go ahead and add, I've had a couple Vanguards and just thought they were meh. Just didn't resonate with my soul, but also, while they were adequate in the accuracy department, Ive always done better with my Remington 700s and Tikkas. I've had, and still have, a number of Tikkas and 700's and they've all been sub-MOA guns. Maybe just had good luck with them.

Back