New rem 700. Something doesn’t seem right

huntin24/7

I just got my new rem 700 AWR in 7 mag yesterday. I got my trigger tech trigger installed and adjusted. The bolt seemed kinda sloppy, but locks into place well when closed. I cycled a few rounds of cheap federal rounds I bought for barrel break in and initial sightin. It seems a bit rough closing on them. After I took them out, the brass seemed fairly roughed up, especially near the base. I thought maybe it was just the cheap brass, but checked with my hand loads and nosler brass. They cycled pretty well, but closed kinda hard like the federal and we’re fairly scuffed up Thoughts? Is it just being brand new or do you think something is wrong?

Can you post some pics of the brass? Sounds like you might have a burr or rolled chip in the chamber.

Can you post some pics of the brass? Sounds like you might have a burr or rolled chip in the chamber.
+1
AA.jpg

e.png

It’s kinda hard to see in these pics, but I pulled the bolt on another 700 of mine to compare. It looks like there is a small pin on the inside edge of the bolt head that sticks out just a bit further than my other one, and I see there are some scuff marks on this new one but not my other one. Maybe that’s it. 90F10568-FFB7-482B-9C52-CD3D9F8D5350.jpeg106E5B61-163E-45CE-A31B-017B18E1AFD4.jpeg

Definitely an extractor issue. Looks like the rivet that holds the extractor isn’t seated all the way. Also they are usually ground/smoothed out a bit more than that.
You could contact Remington warranty but that usually requires sending the whole rifle. A local smith maybe be able to drive it in the rest of the way and smooth it also.

Definitely an extractor issue. Looks like the rivet that holds the extractor isn’t seated all the way. Also they are usually ground/smoothed out a bit more than that.
You could contact Remington warranty but that usually requires sending the whole rifle. A local smith maybe be able to drive it in the rest of the way and smooth it also.
Thanks. That definitely makes sense. It’s sucks getting something brand new and needs work done immediately but what do ya do.

My 700 CDL had a similar issue but not in the same spot. It seems after putting a few boxes of ammo through it, it has smoothed out some. Best of luck.

Remington has had significant quality control issues with these rifles. The components combined make such a tremendous rifle on paper I still purchased one, in 30-06. Immediately took it to a gunsmith to make it right.

Remington quality control sucks. A buddy just sent back a rifle that was all jacked up. It would only set off about one out of five primers. They said it was a bad firing pin, which was bs. They just would not admit that the rifle was jacked up. It seems to be OK after a month at their facilities. Not the first incident that I have seen.

Remington quality control sucks. A buddy just sent back a rifle that was all jacked up. It would only set off about one out of five primers. They said it was a bad firing pin, which was bs. They just would not admit that the rifle was jacked up. It seems to be OK after a month at their facilities. Not the first incident that I have seen.
Remington 700 and...Gasp, a Leupold. Factory barrel, trigger massage only. Hell, it's even a J-Lock. mtmuley

I’ve had rem 700’s for a long time and this is the first issue I’ve had. They’ve all been good shooters. It should be a quick easy fix I would assume. It’s a sharp looking rifle and seems well built so hopefully Remington resolves this quickly so I can start shooting some groups.

Remington 700 and...Gasp, a Leupold. Factory barrel, trigger massage only. Hell, it's even a J-Lock. mtmuley
I have three older 700s that are great. The problem is now, you can get a good one, or you have just as good of a chance at getting a pos. Poor quality control. It never used to even be a consideration.

When I got my new 700 xcr ii the bolt was not smooth. I had to loosen up the action screws they were way tight. Smooth as silk after. I since replaced the stock with a mcmillan edge and it operates smoothy as well.

You should contact Remington for what to do. Possible you take it to a gunsmith they don't authorize and you cancel the warrantee! Do it yourself and get found out and same thing could happen. Contact them and they likely have an authorizes gunsmith you can take it to!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back