Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New pup!

Speeddmn

So with the up coming seasons upon us and me wanting to get a new pup (hunting partner) I was wondering what do you all look for? I have 2 boxers right now and man are they great dogs. Doubtful they would retrieve a bird let alone jump in water! Love them to death but looks like one is 3 paws toward the dog run in the sky. The other gets depressed quick so we would need a new pup soon after. I haven't paid for a dog in my life, besides food, treats, toys, vet bills. As a kid the smartest, best dog I have ever had was a pure breed mutt! Red/Blue heeler, Aus Sheppard, and Border Collie mix. That dog would chase birds, gophers, toys, butterflies, etc. Yet never walked past you unless you said so and would catch grouse out of the air in the back yard.

So I am cruising the local add sites and keep seeing lab/border collie mixes. Both smart dogs in their own. Both great in their respective fields. Is a mix just as good? Or should I just spend the extra coin for a pure lab or maybe a GSP... I would like a dog in the 70 lb max range (roughly), be able to handle cold 10 degree temps, love to jump in the rivers, and be sure footed.

I want a dog mainly for upland. Wouldn't mind doing ducks so that would be something to look into. Also I want one that won't eat through a wall in the house cause they got bored.. Any and all suggestions would be great, thanks.

a pointing lab is what I would look towards, maybe a puddle pointer I have experience with both, personally I believe a pointing lab is the best all around dog, I have shot ducks in the morning, than hunted pheasants in the afternoon with him.. loved that dog, that's where I would start to look!

Wirehaired Pointing Griffon...puppies can be hard to get and can be pricey.

My friend has a mutt pointer and she does pretty good with birds. She'd hunt all day for upland birds but would walk right passed a dead duck and refuse to pick it up.

We are picking up a male WPG pup the middle of July. I mostly upland hunt but wanted a dog who was good in the water as well. I had a Chessy before- great hunter but he wasn't keen on our kids. Best of luck on your search.

Pretty hard to beat a German Wirehair Pointer for what your'e describing. Any dog will be destructive if left to their own means of entertainment.

I just bought a 10 week old springer spaniel pup.She seems to be very smart and trainable

I wasn't ready, but we lost our chocolate last week on Thursday. Had to put her down and it killed me. (The wife had us prepared - she pulled the trigger on a new lab pup 2 weeks prior. Notice I said she, I did not reserve a pick or check breeder connections and got LUCKY!!!) I would recommend doing diligence.
-
I am lab dude, always will be. We had three, now 2. I say go black and you'll never go back!
-
To look for : relative. But few tips.
Check the bite. Should have a good foot pad close together and feet. If you can spend time with a litter - go by the breeders and spend quality time!!!! You will quickly find out how they interact. Take a wing with ya, see what pup is interested or points? For upland - ya may want to go spaniel or gsp or even visla?

Get your pup at 6-8 weeks. Take him/her wherever you go. Training begins immediately - mostly obedience, manners and potty. (Hazel is 10 weeks + and has sit / stay down and is learning to honor the old man out back a little too while he works retrieves.)

Most of all - have fun!

two more things
>I like when the parents on site.
Check breeding - yes get a pure breed and check to see if any FC in pedigree.

Besides a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon I have a GSP. A GSP is "NOT" what you want. May not be 70 lbs. Mine gets cold easily (no body fat). I don't consider them a "duck dog".

Now, before anyone gets on me..... I love my GSP... just not for what he describes.

Do your home work and you will have a friend for life.

good luck to all
the dog

Mixes can be great pets and occasionally a good hunting dog. But, IMO, if you want a dog for a job it's best to get one bred for that.

I'm looking for one right now as well and for many of the same reasons you are with the added caveat of a low shedder. I narrowed the list down to pudelpointer, german wirehair/deutch drahthaar, and wirehaired pointing griffon. I am currently contacting breeders about a pudelpointer as that is what my wife picked of the three breeds. I would have preferred a drahthaar, but the two are very similar. My buddy has a drahthaar from a kennel in Tremonton that is a GREAT dog, both in/around the house and in the field. He's getting a second one from them this fall.

Besides a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon I have a GSP. A GSP is "NOT" what you want. May not be 70 lbs. Mine gets cold easily (no body fat). I don't consider them a "duck dog".

Now, before anyone gets on me..... I love my GSP... just not for what he describes.

Do your home work and you will have a friend for life.

good luck to all
the dog
Hey, just trying to get a reference for temperatures since I'm in the southeast and everyone else on her is midwest. Our winters don't usually get lower than 26 degrees most years, and the water temps are usually well above that because below freezing days are usually only in January and February. What is ' Too cold' for a GSP? What are the normal winter temperatures for a Midwest winter?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back