New Mexico unit 51 first rifle

Good job but save your back. Learn to debone on the spot so you dont have to carry those heavy leg bones out.
QUOTE="David58, post: 3097782, member: 46606"]
Thanks to the recommendations of folks on this site, on this and a couple of other threads, we made meat! Came up on the herd as we topped a ridge, and they were bedded in the sun below us (much rain, wind, sleet the night before). I killed a cow, and thought the bunch took off when they saw us (we had the wind, so they never busted us for that). I made my way down to the elk, who was drt, and my wife was watching the whole herd 75 yards away, who were watching us. She debated a shot, but thankfully figured on daylight, field dressing, and that her old man would have to tote it all out, and decided to hold for next time. Very thankful that we got our cow, it was only one cow (I am sore...), it was NOT a bull (dunno how I would have ever gotten a bull out), and we survived. Dinner tonite was freezer compartment pizza, but tomorrow will be backstrap fried with bacon, taters, and collards and green beans. Thanks, all!!!
[/QUOTE]

Anyone going to be up here for the Nov 21-25 cow hunt? I'll be up by myself if anyone else has the same and wants to share info or anything.

I'm allowing myself to be hopeful. I've run the credit car again for a chance at NM unit 51 first rifle. Now the waiting game!

I'm allowing myself to be hopeful. I've run the credit car again for a chance at NM unit 51 first rifle. Now the waiting game!
Right on! I put very similar to last year- 52, 51, 51. Farmer’s Almanac predicts a light winter. If that holds true they’ll be high up in the nasty.

Right on! I put very similar to last year- 52, 51, 51. Farmer’s Almanac predicts a light winter. If that holds true they’ll be high up in the nasty.
Good luck in the draw.

This year for my app I moved across the street to Unit 49. No real reason other than just trying something new. Odds look about the same.

For anyone who draws 51 I'm glad to share what info and experience I have, including what places to stay away from.

Good luck in the draw.

This year for my app I moved across the street to Unit 49. No real reason other than just trying something new. Odds look about the same.

For anyone who draws 51 I'm glad to share what info and experience I have, including what places to stay away from.
51 was one of my choices so if I get lucky I’ll be messaging you. It would be my first elk hunt.

Good luck in the draw.

I put 49 late as my third choice.

This year I was lucky enough for a third season tag in 51 my first year applying. Like many on this thread, this will be my fist elk trip. From the sounds of reading through this it should be a good trip.

This year I was lucky enough for a third season tag in 51 my first year applying. Like many on this thread, this will be my fist elk trip. From the sounds of reading through this it should be a good trip.
Will you be able to physically scout before October?

Good luck in the draw.

I am a new member I would sure be interested in what to stay away from if you was willing to discuss it.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back