New Mexico unit 51 first rifle

Hey all! I’m brand new to the forum and just want to start off by saying it seems like an awesome community just from what I’ve rear before joining!

So I’m a first time elk hunter (26 years old) and I got very lucky and was able to draw a unit 51 first rifle bull tag my first time ever applying, I’ve already been using OnX and google earth religiously scouring the unit for potential hot spots and I’ve gone through the university of elk hunting online course once already (going through a second time currently) but when I’m from New England so getting boots on the ground 30+hrs a way is going to be hard (I still plan on making it out at some point this summer to at the very least get a lay of the land) but I’m reaching out for information and help from you guys as far as things to know about the unit such as topography, places to stay away from/go toward, also how important is water in early/mid October for the elk in this region. ANY help will be greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance!

Thank you for the welcome! And I feel so fortunate to have drawn a tag! It’s not lost on me how lucky I truly got and am doing everything I can to take advantage of my opportunity!

Hey Drew! I'm also a first time Elk hunter (27yrs) & after a few times finally drew a Tag this year for Unit 51 (2nd Rifle. Oct.17-21). Also been scouring the maps & watched all the OnX e-scout series as well as the Elk hunt course. I'm from TX and was able to spend 3 days in the Unit over memorial weekend. I had multiple places i wanted to scout, however I didn't fully comprehend how MASSIVE this unit is and wasted too much time just a few mediocre locations. What really helped was just driving through & understanding the different terrains and flora within the unit. I'm still not totally familiar with elk habits and where to find them at that time of year, but I know it would be alot easier to spot animals in big Ponderosa forests instead of thick conifer/pine forests.
Send me a PM and I'll try to help as much as possible. Maybe we could exchange some ideas if you find out anything interesting!

Hey all! I’m brand new to the forum and just want to start off by saying it seems like an awesome community just from what I’ve rear before joining!

So I’m a first time elk hunter (26 years old) and I got very lucky and was able to draw a unit 51 first rifle bull tag my first time ever applying, I’ve already been using OnX and google earth religiously scouring the unit for potential hot spots and I’ve gone through the university of elk hunting online course once already (going through a second time currently) but when I’m from New England so getting boots on the ground 30+hrs a way is going to be hard (I still plan on making it out at some point this summer to at the very least get a lay of the land) but I’m reaching out for information and help from you guys as far as things to know about the unit such as topography, places to stay away from/go toward, also how important is water in early/mid October for the elk in this region. ANY help will be greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance!

I was drawn for the third hunt, starting 10/24. Yeah, it’s freakin huge. We’ll talk, PM. I think most importantly you get up in the White’s, 100mi Wilderness, Baxter State, West MA or wherever else you can find really rugged terrain and pound out miles. NM at that latitude is indiscernible from CO. Wicked, you dig? Wicked bad in that it’ll blow your mind with the raw beauty, but it’ll blow your lungs with edema.

I’m brand new as well I drew out for last rifle MB in this unit and never hunted it any suggestions?

They are much lower than normal this year, ive hunted that unit 6 times including this year. They got 15" of snow mid September and the majority of elk moved lower and didnt come back up. Good luck on the hunt.

Got back last week from a VERY frustrating yet wonderful 2nd archery hunt. The first 4 or 5 nights I had two if not three bulls screaming their heads off 100 yds from my tent from around 1am till 5am...exciting until I couldn't get enough sleep !! Then, come sunup - crickets. Only heard two bugles the entire season during shooting hours - one just after daylight and one at the end of the day. More fresh elk sign than I've EVER seen in my years hunting SW Colorado!! Heavily used trails, droppings, rubs...holy crap it was everywhere!! I bumped a few cows nearly every day but no bulls. Didn't find any wallows - lots of water in my drainage. Can't wait to go back. Beautiful country !! (I had the canyon to myself..not one camp within four miles of me - only saw three hunters on 4wheelers the entire trip - NO CAMP THEFT issues - but on Saturday the rec riders moved in pretty heavily) Most all the RV campers at the bottom moved out by the first Sunday.

Hey! It seems you have some good insight into the unit from others. I was down in this unit first archery season with my buddy that had a tag. Definitely willing to share what i saw terrain wise or elk wise. I know it may shift for rifle, but could share some of my information if you still are looking! Good luck! And enjoy the hunt!

Hey! It seems you have some good insight into the unit from others. I was down in this unit first archery season with my buddy that had a tag. Definitely willing to share what i saw terrain wise or elk wise. I know it may shift for rifle, but could share some of my information if you still are looking! Good luck! And enjoy the hunt!
I definitely have! The people on this forum have given me a lot of very valuable information and I’ll absolutely take more if your willing!

Hello, my Son and I are heading up next weekend for our first hunt and the first rifle hunt of 51 for the season. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know most don't want to share and I appreciate that, just looking for some bread crumbs so we can have a great experience. Thanks in advance!

Hello, my Son and I are heading up next weekend for our first hunt and the first rifle hunt of 51 for the season. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know most don't want to share and I appreciate that, just looking for some bread crumbs so we can have a great experience. Thanks in advance!
Welcome aboard!

PM

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back