PEAX Equipment

New Mexico unit 51 first rifle

I'm also headed to 51 next week for first rifle to help my dad try to get his first elk. I have several years experience in Colorado archery hunting and have done a lot of e-scouting but I know the terrain can be a lot different here. I heard reports last week about the hunting being very tough since the snow and that it has been a dry year, so water is key. I would appreciate any insight others are willing to share in a PM.

Hey all! I’m brand new to the forum and just want to start off by saying it seems like an awesome community just from what I’ve rear before joining!

So I’m a first time elk hunter (26 years old) and I got very lucky and was able to draw a unit 51 first rifle bull tag my first time ever applying, I’ve already been using OnX and google earth religiously scouring the unit for potential hot spots and I’ve gone through the university of elk hunting online course once already (going through a second time currently) but when I’m from New England so getting boots on the ground 30+hrs a way is going to be hard (I still plan on making it out at some point this summer to at the very least get a lay of the land) but I’m reaching out for information and help from you guys as far as things to know about the unit such as topography, places to stay away from/go toward, also how important is water in early/mid October for the elk in this region. ANY help will be greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance!
How did the hunt go?

My wife and I finally drew our second elk tag in NM, this year in Unit 51. First time, four years ago, she was two days out of chemo and me six months after a heart attack. Talk about two slow moseying hunters, but we saw animals and had a great hunt!
We have cow tags for 51, November 7. Finally made it up there last weekend to scout a bit, saw a group of 5 cows and two bulls in the back of pickup trucks. But, wowsers, it is DRY!
Our day was spent up near Canjillon Lakes and Trout Lakes, some nice looking country but again very, very dry. Would appreciate any recommendations from folks that have been up there.
BTW, planning to drive up through El Rito this weekend to look around, looping up through Canjillon and back out at El Rito. Hoping to find a good stand for my wife (she developed a stress fracture in April, so not quite back in the saddle for long hikes), and some good country for me to play sneaky pete in. We are RV camping, so will likely be on the edge of the unit and drive in to our selected spot (a lot of driving, I think).
Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

David
White Rock, NM

Just got back from 51 and a successful bull hunt. I'm more than happy to share what little intel I have. PM me for more specifics, but honestly you can just pick any place and go enjoy yourself. You'll find some elk.

We drove as far back as we could on an FSR and were into the elk fairly quick within one afternoon after we had begun to pack our camp in on our backs. Decided that camping from the truck was just as good with less hassle so we did that.

They were still bugling at night and early in the morning when we left. Felt like the very tail end of it, though.

Well everyone I can’t thank you enough! I shot my very first elk and he’s not a giant (or even the biggest one I shot at) but he’s perfect for me! I took him at 10,758’ and he was definitely in full on sanctuary mode! I snuck up on 5 different bulls and probably 20 cows before finally being able to connect with this guy! I’m beyond happy and so thankful for the information given on here as well as everything else available! Hunt hard and your dreams will come true! Mine sure did!A180D3EB-B2A6-45A5-A3DA-F46C151EFE19.jpeg

If
My wife and I finally drew our second elk tag in NM, this year in Unit 51. First time, four years ago, she was two days out of chemo and me six months after a heart attack. Talk about two slow moseying hunters, but we saw animals and had a great hunt!
We have cow tags for 51, November 7. Finally made it up there last weekend to scout a bit, saw a group of 5 cows and two bulls in the back of pickup trucks. But, wowsers, it is DRY!
Our day was spent up near Canjillon Lakes and Trout Lakes, some nice looking country but again very, very dry. Would appreciate any recommendations from folks that have been up there.
BTW, planning to drive up through El Rito this weekend to look around, looping up through Canjillon and back out at El Rito. Hoping to find a good stand for my wife (she developed a stress fracture in April, so not quite back in the saddle for long hikes), and some good country for me to play sneaky pete in. We are RV camping, so will likely be on the edge of the unit and drive in to our selected spot (a lot of driving, I think).

David
White Rock,

David
White Rock, NM
PM me! I took my bull up near Canjilon lakes and I saw lots and lots of elk where I was including 5 other bulls! Happy to help you guys out!

I had this this tag 2 years ago, great hunt. Tagged out the first afternoon an a 5X5. Sounds like you are self guided? send me a PM if you would, ill try to give you what I know.
Hello, I’m heading to unit 51 this Friday. I know El Rito is closed. Wondering if there are other camp sites on the same road. Due to the virus, I was unable to do any pre scouting. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and good luck to all other unit 51 elk hunters. I’ll post an update after the hunt and pass on any information I have. Thanks

Hello, I’m heading to unit 51 this Friday. I know El Rito is closed. Wondering if there are other camp sites on the same road. Due to the virus, I was unable to do any pre scouting. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and good luck to all other unit 51 elk hunters. I’ll post an update after the hunt and pass on any information I have. Thanks
Message me I’ll help out best I can!

Sitting here in my trailer in Oregon, watching the weather forecast for home - 10-12" of snow starting tonite. Hoping that will push the elk downhill a bit, am wondering what that will do for the cows (we have cow tags, November 7-11). Thinking I know where to hunt, but wondering what the girls are likely to react to when there is a foot or more of snow up there. At least some water will happen!

Well everyone I can’t thank you enough! I shot my very first elk and he’s not a giant (or even the biggest one I shot at) but he’s perfect for me! I took him at 10,758’ and he was definitely in full on sanctuary mode! I snuck up on 5 different bulls and probably 20 cows before finally being able to connect with this guy! I’m beyond happy and so thankful for the information given on here as well as everything else available! Hunt hard and your dreams will come true! Mine sure did!View attachment 157797Congrats on your bull. Way to make it happen!!!
Congrats on your bull. Way to make it happen!!!

Well everyone I can’t thank you enough! I shot my very first elk and he’s not a giant (or even the biggest one I shot at) but he’s perfect for me! I took him at 10,758’ and he was definitely in full on sanctuary mode! I snuck up on 5 different bulls and probably 20 cows before finally being able to connect with this guy! I’m beyond happy and so thankful for the information given on here as well as everything else available! Hunt hard and your dreams will come true! Mine sure did!View attachment 157797
Nice bull. Looks like you got plenty of help out there. I’ll be hunting the same unit but for cow. Do you have a tips that were shared with you?

Most of the unit is getting a foot or more of snow right now which might push them out of the higher country by the time your tag rolls around

Thanks to the recommendations of folks on this site, on this and a couple of other threads, we made meat! Came up on the herd as we topped a ridge, and they were bedded in the sun below us (much rain, wind, sleet the night before). I killed a cow, and thought the bunch took off when they saw us (we had the wind, so they never busted us for that). I made my way down to the elk, who was drt, and my wife was watching the whole herd 75 yards away, who were watching us. She debated a shot, but thankfully figured on daylight, field dressing, and that her old man would have to tote it all out, and decided to hold for next time. Very thankful that we got our cow, it was only one cow (I am sore...), it was NOT a bull (dunno how I would have ever gotten a bull out), and we survived. Dinner tonite was freezer compartment pizza, but tomorrow will be backstrap fried with bacon, taters, and collards and green beans. Thanks, all!!!

Attachments

• 59D48BAF-419A-49CA-91F6-F8A6269C1EC6.jpeg
    59D48BAF-419A-49CA-91F6-F8A6269C1EC6.jpeg
    584 KB · Views: 45
  • 578947B9-7619-4867-B9A7-6F36A1390028.jpeg
    578947B9-7619-4867-B9A7-6F36A1390028.jpeg
    575.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 1A1998CA-5A05-45EF-BEF4-3F6C9F263883.jpeg
    1A1998CA-5A05-45EF-BEF4-3F6C9F263883.jpeg
    553 KB · Views: 43
Back