Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New Mexico unit 34 elk

Jamo

Hi Guys, new to site. I finally drew NM elk tag! Unit 34 rifle bull Oct. 19-23. Planning a couple scouting trips over the summer to get to know the area. Driving over from Phoenix. I picked up forest service map and still looking for a good topo. Any previous hunters of the area willing to share any pointers, suggestions,or comments? Sounds like there is a good elk population and pretty wide spread over the unit. Any areas better than others?? Most likely this will be a self guided DIY hunt, so any info would be greatly appreciated. THX

It is mostly Natl Forest Service land and the elk are everywhere from the boundary of the Mescalero on south to the desert. There is no bad place to hunt, but the higher areas between Cloudcroft and Timberon will hold lots of them that time of year. Just go for a drive before dark prior to the season and you will find where they are.

There is no elk there! None at all!!! HaHa...jk. This is probably my favorite elk unit in the state. Congrats on pulling the tag. Rifle was my first choice, but I ended up with 1st archery in 34. I will be up there the first two weeks of Sept. Shoot me a PM the 3rd week of Sept and I might be able to help you out. There is really is no bad place to hunt in this unit. Generally the highest concentration of elk will be at the highest elevations. The biggest bull I have ever seen in the unit was just west of high rolls, but that was the only elk I saw. Find some high elevation areas, and get off the roads. You'll get into them. Good luck!

Thanks for all the helpfull advice. Any type of info I can gather before I get over there to scout will definitely help. Heading that way in a couple weeks. What are most of the roads like ? Should I bring a quad along? or will a 4x4 truck be ok for this first trip to get to know some areas and roads ?? Then later in the year, I'll start the hiking and glassing !!

quads work well as some of the roads are rough and they get a little greasy when it rains. Most of the Elk and hunters will be in the center of the unit, blue water, perk, etc.

Last edited:
Unit 34

If you are up to it Hunt south of the Boy Scout Camp and behind the Ski Slope. Plan on Boning out your Monster and skidding it out with one of these. http://www.northernsledworks.com/Siglin_Pulks.html This is the way we do Moose in Alaska and how I got my Muzzleloader Bull out of there. This is a Premo area if you want to get out of your ..Truck!! PM me if you have more Questions!! Good Luck!
Craiger

Unit 34

Hey I am jealous. I have applied for New Mexico and Unit 34 with no luck. I have never hunted in New Mexico and want to ask the group if there is a particular Unit I should try in the future to increase my odds of being drawn. I am a rifle hunter. Are there any over the counter tags in New Mexico, either elk or deer? Also how difficult is it to get a tag in Arizona? Any suggestions I will gladly accept.

Hey I am jealous. I have applied for New Mexico and Unit 34 with no luck. I have never hunted in New Mexico and want to ask the group if there is a particular Unit I should try in the future to increase my odds of being drawn. I am a rifle hunter. Are there any over the counter tags in New Mexico, either elk or deer? Also how difficult is it to get a tag in Arizona? Any suggestions I will gladly accept.

Lots of other units in the northern part of NM that are much easier to draw than 34. Draw odds are a function of perceived reputation of the unit and amount of accessible public land.

No OTC tags in NM that I am aware of.

AZ tags can be difficult, but since you are a rifle hunter, you can get one of the late season rifle elk tags with about 4 points, and maybe sooner, if you get some luck in the random number allocation.

NM has horrible draw odds. However, once you finally draw the tag you will be in for a treat. I put in for my trophy unit, and then if I don't draw I buy a landowner voucher for a less popular unit. Yes they are expensive, but I save for it year round and its the only elk hunt I do.

we have the muzzleloader tags this year.
had the tag before a couple times, lots of bulls still talking in mid oct...
2 years ago ran into lots of small bulls, watched em fight at 40 yards, but just rag horns.
never found a bull over 300 in....
fun hunt...

Unit 34

Thanks Guys for all the info and suggestions. Heading that way this weekend. I know most elk that I find now will not be there later in the year. But, at least I can get a feel for the terrain and check out some different areas. Thanks again, and keep the suggestions coming, I'm all ears !

In that unit, the elk are not going to move much. They will be there when you go back. The unit is not that big and bad weather will only push them a relatively short distance to lower elevation.

That is a good bull. My oldest took his first elk-a cow-in 34 when he was 12. We lived in Alamogordo at the time. I have a pic of his little brother packing out the hide. All you can see is his head. He insisted on carrying the hide the 1/2 mile back to the truck. We had lots of fun in that unit over the years there.

Back