New Mexico Pronghorn - ACT III

Good luck.Little upset I'm not headed to Wy. right now to antelope hunt.Did it the last two years for archery and rifle.I can see why you guys like to hunt them.I'm 0-2 with my bow,but that was with 2 missed bucks;one each year.Was able to come back with my gun and fill the tags both years
Was thinking about how I should be driving to Wy. on my way home from work today.Get on the computer and now you tease me with the fact your out in NM getting ready for your hunt to start.Well,good luck to both of you,and remember 8 is better then none.Any antelope on public with a bow is tough,and an awesome trophy
Next year I'll be back out in Wy.Hopefully, with a pretty good tag

Good Luck FIN and BUGLER !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im sure you guys will find a couple and walk right up behind them.
You may try a life preserver for some bait. LOL

A long day. Bugler arrived around 11am. We burned a ton of gas looking for green stuff and any water. Can't say found much. The water we did find that was good had already been staked out., Guess I should have been here last week.

Good news is that we found a couple of nice bucks. Bad news is, we have no idea how to get in on them. And, they are about 30 miles apart, so not sure how we will do that.

Got camp set up just now, half dark. Looks like more rain coming tonight, which is not all bad, but will create a lot of temporary water sources.

Amazing the small spigots you see them watering at. The rain from last night left puddles in the roads. They have watered from those. Also interesting to see that there are a few green pockets around. Almost like rain saved a few places and sacrificed others. You can drive five miles and it be a huge difference in greeness.

If I had to guess, from what I have seen so far, I would say this is going to be almost all spot and stalk. BeTheDecoy better not let us down.

I can assure you we will not have any cover to hide in, so it will be a top shelf test for the decoy and our talents. Plenty of other hunters around, which might be a good thing.

Plan for the morning is to go to an area we have not yet investigated. But, we do know of one buck well over 80" that we saw today. We will be driving by his location on our path to check out the new area. I suspect we will at least stop for the obligatory glance while passing through. Maybe he is out on the town tonight and we can catch him half hungover in the morning. He is really good. He was too far for any pictures. Bryce snapped a few, but at 250 yards, it still is hard to get much without professional DSLR and lenses. Hope to get him in a position where extender lenses are not necessary and we can take multiple photos at multiple angles. I can tell Bugler really likes that buck - tall, big prongs, classic shape, you name it. So, it is his for the taking, unless he declines.

I really have not yet found one ugly enough to get me excited yet. We did see a good alternate. Not very big, but his horns crossed. Never shot one like that, so if he makes himself available after a couple more days of looking around, I would gladly adorn my tag on his carcass. Not sure where all the ugly ones went this year. In past years, it was like a cowboy bar at closing time - more ugly ones than a guy has use for.

Hope to find more numbers. This is the lowest number I have ever seen in my years of hunting antelope and elk in this area. Hardly any fawns, which does not spell good news for future hunts.

Bugler has been living on about four hours of sleep over the last two days, so I think he will save his posts for tomorrow. Hopefully his first post will be a good one - like one about a dead buck.

Been a long few days, so I am going to crash. Will have to get up early and get after it. Gonna be interesting, for sure.

More tomorrow.

Randy is in hot pursuit of a couple bucks in the high 70's. They are in a reply good spot for stalking.

Spotted them.
IMAG0306.jpg

Great to hear this Bugler Hope you guys get your big one you like and Fin gets that nasty one he likes.
looks like weather backed off a little this morning. Keep us posted.. Hook em hard. lol

When approaching on open ground, be sure to work at a slight angle when approaching. When they look, you stop until they relax. Just sit and hold still until they go back to feeding. No cover spot and stalks can be done with this decoy. Just don't be in a hurry. (My experience last year)

Stalk #2. Randy is bearing down on another nice buck. We saw this back yesterday on a scouting trip. He was friendly then so we are hoping he will cooperate today. It looks to me like he's within 60-70 yards. I have a front for seat about a half a mile away.

Antelope 2, OYOA 0.... meet back up with randy. The lope was actually 85 yards so no shot. Ground was really flat on top so tough sneaking up in him. Sounds like they were lucky to get as close as they did. On to the next one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VaDon
Back