MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

New Mexico Elk Hunt

Godspeed

Last day of 5 day Hunt unit 34, The meadow that we had seen over 20 elk in 2 days prior yeilded 2 cows and a toad of an bull elk. The meadow was around 450 yards long and tucked in the very back was 2 cows and one lone bull. I closed the distance by walking in the woods, and with the wind right in my face as i closed the gap to 200 hundred yards. I was praying that no branches or wind direction would give me away, the bull had edged closer to the back of the meadow and within 25 yards of leaving it! I had no shot as it's rear was well in my scope, his rack wasn't in clear view but a shooter. The tree was blocking the full view. I had a shot as he quartered and i had a lung to vitals. I placed the shot and the cows never reacted as they continued to look around. The bull went out of view and then listene for a crash ,but non came. I waited 30 min as i gave him time and then went towards the place where the tree stood thinking it my have been deflected. No, green busted limbs, YES, i started looking for blood on the limbs and logs where he stood, none. Then looking around i seen him laying not 40 yards where he once stood, DOWN ! My excitement was off the charts! Yes i did say a few choice words as i walked up and seen the bulk of his disfigured rack, He was bulky, and in a clearing , amen. I had a great time with great weather on my first elk hunt.
Unit 34 has alot of nice elk, the rut was ending by the time i was there, and young males had started trying to keep the cows entertained.
Several time we had seen young bulls dualing and showing they're toughness. I was impressed with the amount of Mule deer we seen as well, i hope to try for a nice hanger again next year. Glad it finished on a great note !:D

Attachments

• DSC00353.jpg
    DSC00353.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 936
Congrats again and thank you for the help on the unit. Hopefully i will be posting pictures up after the december archery hunt. If it wasnt for graduate school i would have gotten a tag for a better time of year but you gotta do what you gotta do to hunt.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sinhba
Back