New Mexico Elk Hunt Unit 16E

spbrew33

Two more weeks and leaving for an New Mexico unit 16E muzzleloader elk hunt. Anyone out there been in the area recently and have any good sightings . Plan on carrying everything on my back and hiking in. Last reports were good moisture this year and lots of grass. Anyone out there have any advice or pointers I sure would be appreciative. Driving out from east coast for the five day hunt and then heading back east to Ohio for a five day archery whitetail hunt. Lot of mile but it is what we do. Thanks in advance for any info.

I'm nearby and been working just across the Hwy/Plains from 16e.
Been in the 80's and drying out fast. Rut kinda shut down with the heat,but heard 2 bulls screaming in a canyon behind me yesterday at 4pm as the shadows hit it.
Tough unit to hunt but doable. Limited access off poor roads.
Not a WT hunt for sure.
Good Luck & Good Hunting

Thanks for the input. Hopefully the rut will stretch out till when I am there due to the heat. I have been studying maps for this area for months and yes it is a tough area to hunt due to all the private land. I have come to the conclusion that parking it and hoofing it in is the only option which means if I am successful a long grueling pack out is the forecast, especially since I am hunting alone. Well, if it was easy everyone would be doing it! I was told the roads are rough at best and you better have a high clearance vehicle. I do as I had to adapt when I was living in Montana and the eastern side Missouri Breaks roads. I like to get off the road anyways away from the road hunters so planned it my only concerns are locating elk, being able to get to them, and water. The farther I hike in the farther it is from good water I bring in. Everything I have been told is the natural or tank water up there is not drinkable.

Thanks again, if you think of anything else let me know. Are you working on the north side of 16E ( I think it is 12) or south side (which is 163 I believe)

I was just inside of 13. Just SW of Datil. Moved a mobile home from there to my place,can't afford building materials in this market......and I was a builder of custom homes for most of my life.

Bulls could be bugling into Nov. this year. Rut went into Nov. last year too. You should be right after the peak.
I'll be in 23 too same time Sheff,gimme a holler. Outfitter buddy just filled 4 tags in 23,his own too.
Going to be awesome. Big bulls.
................Guy just took a guesstimated 448" bull just north of me in my home unit near the Zuni,public lands.................

Man I love NM!

I to will be headed to New Mexico, unit 15 in a couple of weeks. Sadly I will not be hunting but tagging a long with my dad in hopes of getting him a bull, I hope it is as good as it has been in the past.

16E 2nd Archery Elk

I spent the last 6 days of the 2nd archery season in the Unit. The muzzleloader hunt should be awesome, using a muzzleloader is almost cheating. We called good bulls into my lap everyday of the hunt 300"-330". The upper end bulls were bugling but noncommittal. They should be cranked up for the muzzleloader though. I ended up arrowing a 6 x 8 bull with a double main beam on the 23rd of Sept. at less than 20 yards. Everyone says there are great bulls in that Unit, but I never expected to see them. Well they are there and I seen them. 2 different 7 x 7's in the 360-370 class, we stalked in on one in an evening monsoon. Got to within 85 yds but ran out of cover. It was easily the greatest hunt of my life.

You'll have to carry water in on your backs. You'll need to get your bull killed in the 1st 3 days otherwise you'll be hiking 2-3 miles from your camp to get to them, they will figure out you are there a move.

Sounds like you had a great hunt and gives me hope that mine will be great also. I do plan on carrying in water and already plan on putting the miles on daily. Any chance you could narrow the area you had good sightings in for me? I know you do not want to give away all the secrets but with such a short window and with the time, expense and travel distance (all the way from the east coast driving) I want to start the hunt in the right general area. If not I understand...I to start north of Pelona working my way onto the state towards the north. Be interested in seeing some pics of the bull you took. I normally am a stick and string hunter but out of now where drew this muzzleloader tag and figure what the heck. Thanks again for the response and encouraging news.

Hey guys -I drew this tag this and wanted to check back in on this thread? NM is a long way from IA and any advice for this unit would be appreciated.

Iawhitetail came out and helped me on my hunt last year, We were complete strangers, he helped me out tremendously on my hunt. We had s great time and saw quite a few elk but no giants. I am hoping to be able to help him out this year on his hunt. Any tips on areas to look during the muzzle loader season? We found them bunched up in sanctuary but didn’t get time to cover a lot of the unit.

What are everyone’s opinions for the best strategies for mature bulls during the muzzleloader season in this unit (16e). Road hunting is not an option and I’m not looking for specific spots/areas, instead methods, strategies, types of terrain or any helpful input to lead to a successful hunt would be greatly appreciated.

I've hunted it four times. Three times archery and one time with my nephew on his youth rifle hunt.
Were all four time filmed for the show? If so which seasons and episodes?
I have already watched S3E4: Elk at 2 yards. How intense!

16e here we go ! End October fingers crossed. I hope all of you were successful. Any pointers to be told ?

I went by 16E this morning. They are screaming their heads off! The bull fights are on in the Gila! This little guy from 16E tried to pick a fight with my truck...he eventually walked off. I was on my way to Apache Creek from Datil. I saw some big racks coming out this morning. Quite a few tagged out this weekend apparently.

young bull2.jpg

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back