New Mexico Draw

I am looking at some of the northern units for dad and I. Since we are putting in as a party and I am trying to ensure that there "could" be tags available for us both to draw, these areas seem to have the most NR tags available. I have read that they are mostly for "opportunity" and not "trophy" like the Gila units, but that doesn't really matter as the ultimate goal of mine is just to get dad an elk, and maybe have a chance at one myself. It would really suck to draw tag 10 in an 10 tag area and not get a tag because of the party application though. Oh well, can't draw the tag if we don't try.

Would my son need the hunter ed. class done before applying?I cant make that deadline.

I had enough Cabelas points and don't actually need anything so...I am in for a few NM elk hunts. It's a waist of money and time but I have always had great hunts in NM. Furthermore, all of the NM residents I have run into in the field have been awsome. In the end the G&F stuck it to the NR but I would rather give them my money the SFW at the convention. Living in VA for a few years is really going to hurt my elk hunts.

Not many youth tags for the NR, but put them in for the hunts it is WELL worth it if you draw. My one son drew unit 17, the other drew a unit 13 tag 3 years later.

Would my son need the hunter ed. class done before applying?I cant make that deadline.

I don't know, you can call them up and find out. Or just make an account for him on the website and see if it lets you apply without hunter Ed. He will definitely need it for the hunt, just not sure if he needs it to apply. And it looks like the Mentored-Youth deal will not work for elk hunts (p. 8)

I don't like our chances for our first choice for 2nd archery season but hopefully we pull out for our second or third choice

Back