SITKA Gear

New Mexico Draw

Zim

Active member
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
748
Location
LaPorte, IN
OK I'm ready for the New Mexico draw now. Anyone notice the outfitter pool odds getting worse each year lately? Apparently been a lot of guys tapping into that option and tilting the table. I even saw a few hunts last year where the odds were better in the unguided pools! I got about a 10% chance of getting one of my picks. Big difference from 10 years ago when my chance with these same picks was 90%!
 

Zim

Active member
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
748
Location
LaPorte, IN
I put in for units 17 & 13 firearms hunts 1st & 2nd choices, then a low tier unit for my 3rd choice but won't say what that one is because I arrowed a 330" bull there last time on my own. I hunted New Mexico many times in the old days before the big R/NR split. Back then my odds for my favorite unit were 90%, but now only 10%. I rarely draw it any more. Last time in 2011.
 

nuevo_eph

Active member
Joined
Mar 2, 2014
Messages
442
Location
Socorro, NM
I live in 17 so I plan to put in there as well but my buddies have to decide on the other hunts. Probably a 16 for 1st choice and then a cow somewhere for third.
 

Zim

Active member
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
748
Location
LaPorte, IN
It's a wonderful state I wish I could draw like in the old days. I've done 6 elk bowhunts in 4 different units mostly north central. Gorgeous country in that area.
 

LopeHunter

Well-known member
Joined
May 31, 2007
Messages
2,840
Location
MO-->CA-->NW-->AZ&NW
NM officially blows in my view. I might be the only non-resident where this applies.

I only apply in states where have a chance at a bighorn tag. NM hands out 1 tag to NR which in 2015 had 1:1250 odds in 2015 unless apply in outfitter draw then were 2 tags at 1:450 odds. I do not need a sheep guide for NM sheep. I need a tag.

For perspective, NM's 1 chance in 1250 is 7 times worse than ID where odds for NR in 2015 were 1:185. Hey NM, woo frickin' hoo.

I have not draw a tag for any species in NM since they dropped NR allotment to 6%. Adios NM.

Good luck on your draws.
 

NoWiser

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2013
Messages
1,775
Location
Minnesota
New Mexico has been good to me. Between my dad and I we've applied 2 years and have drawn 3 premium archery elk tags. I do see the odds, though, and realize that we are due for a long drought. I'm just happy we got the chance to hunt down there, though. We'll be putting in this year, but since we already have Wyoming tags, it will only be for the very best Gila rifle tags. On one hand the outfitter pool really sucks, but on the other hand at least they aren't screwing me with a point system.
 

BuzzH

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 9, 2001
Messages
12,944
Location
Laramie, WY
Its not just the outfitter pool that sucks, the landowner pool and people owning only an acre or three and still getting landowner tags is what really sucks.

Between outfitters and landowners, I tossed in the towel on applying in NM as well.

Unless things really change, I don't see ever applying there again.
 

1_pointer

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 20, 2000
Messages
18,107
Location
Indiana
Its not just the outfitter pool that sucks, the landowner pool and people owning only an acre or three and still getting landowner tags is what really sucks.

Between outfitters and landowners, I tossed in the towel on applying in NM as well.

Unless things really change, I don't see ever applying there again.
That's the boat I'm riding in as well.
 

Zim

Active member
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
748
Location
LaPorte, IN
I recommend studying the fluctuating odds there guys. There are some decent hunts where the unguided pool odds have improved to the point of making it worthwhile to try. They don't keep a lot of coin if you don't draw.
 

mixedbag

New member
Joined
Nov 22, 2009
Messages
2,178
I just spent 2 hours on gohunt going over every NM elk unit and my odds to draw for each season.One thing that surprised me is the 1st archery season success is as good or better then most 2nd season archery hunts.I did find 2 units where your very likely to draw as well.I was looking at units 17 and 21A myself,and then one northcentral unit.Never applied in NM,but hear great things about the elk hunting from some friends
 

HighDesertSage

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 6, 2013
Messages
3,282
Location
Sage Brush to Corn Fields
I just spent 2 hours on gohunt going over every NM elk unit and my odds to draw for each season.One thing that surprised me is the 1st archery season success is as good or better then most 2nd season archery hunts.I did find 2 units where your very likely to draw as well.I was looking at units 17 and 21A myself,and then one northcentral unit.Never applied in NM,but hear great things about the elk hunting from some friends

I have noticed this as well when I was a resident of NM. I'm not sure how they track success rates, but I can tell you from first hand experience the rutting and general elk activity is greater during the second archery season. Maybe it's higher because the elk aren't wise yet? I'm not really sure. Also, it seems the peak rut is a bit later down there than the rest of the country. Although, I had an archery tag in 2013 and the elk were going nuts on the Sept 1st opener.
 

hank4elk

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 8, 2015
Messages
4,503
Location
SW NM
I always did well as a NR in NM 10 for 12 with MB tags.I'm now 8 for 10 as Res.
The outfitter pool is BS in my opinion and there should be 10% at least for NR.They bring in the rev.,not so much residents. Giving all the cow tags to residents is BS too,part of the entitlement mentality here.
LO tag system does need to be reworked and the mini ranches left off.The rest should be ranch only,deeded lands. IMHO I am biased as my place gets RO LO tags and I always have a back up now.
Peak of the rut in most of NM is the last week of Sept & 1st of Oct,in my opine.
All the Gila/prime tags should be once every 3 years to apply too. At least. I have never drawn one and know many who do almost every year some how.
Second choice is most likely to be drawn in most cases here.
Never did figure out we can have harvest reports that never show up in the system and folks still get to apply the following year when that is not allowed...............but hay, what the heck.
I live here ,follow the rules and eat good wild game every year.
I have had bulls screaming in Nov.
 

jrabq

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 4, 2014
Messages
558
Location
NM
anyone know the youth hunt odds in 34 or 16c for elk

Assuming you are asking non-res; 34 youth 1st choice drew 4 out of 78 applicants for ~ 5%.

16C had much fewer tags so it is harder to get a good answer; looks like none (out of 30) drew as 1st choice, 2 drew as 2nd choice.
 

npaden

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 3, 2011
Messages
3,775
Location
Lubbock, Texas
The way the New Mexico does their draw where they look at all 3 choices before moving to the next application, you really need to look at the odds using the total applicants, not just the 1st choice applicants. It's not perfect from a math perspective but it is pretty close, especially on the harder to draw tags.
 

mixedbag

New member
Joined
Nov 22, 2009
Messages
2,178
wow, didn't realize they had so few tags for the youth hunts.I'll still put him in I guess.Is there an age limit in NM?I didn't think there was and have a 9yr old wanted to hunt out west as well.My older son is 16 and he has a decent Wy tag for Sept.My youngest son has already taken deer and a turkey here where we don't have age limits for our hunters.You guys can definitely get me the answer on age quicker then I'd be able to find it on their site
thanks for the odds;so it looks to be 5% in 34 and under 2% in 16c
 

jrabq

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 4, 2014
Messages
558
Location
NM
No age limit but he will need Hunter Ed. If he turns 10 he has the "Mentored-Youth" option, see p. 9 of regs.
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
94,494
Messages
1,408,110
Members
29,642
Latest member
gunstar
Top