Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New Mexico - Cody's first elk hunt

Thanks for the updates, it's so cool being able to hear what's going on, instead of wondering...I hope the young man finds something he wants, and good luck.

They must be packing and no time to write . ;)

You must have ESP. :D Check your cell phone.

Sorry I didn't post last night. Just too tired, by the time we got back to camp and ate some spartan dinner, it was all we could do to crawl into our sleeping bags.

Yesterday afternoon was incredible. I had posted that we were looking over One-Beam and that Cody was being tempted. This was in the far corner of our hunting area, and it was a long, long, ways to haul something out.

We realized that the water tanks on the east side of our hunting area had all been drained. The windmills were turned off. And, the elk were absent. As such, we needed to walk all the way to the north and west portions of the unit, where there was actually some water. This added two or three miles to the hike in each day. But, as Cody said, where the elk are is where I want to go.

After tiring of One Beam and his girls sleeping below us, I hatched a strategy. Seems like the elk were congregating on this corner of the unit. They had everything they needed - water, feed, canyons to bed in, and no hunting pressure. I told Cody we needed to move these elk out of these canyons and take the chance that they would come closer our direction.

So, we decided to drop on the north face of the ridge where One Beam and his cows were bedded. It was a steep canyon, but kept us from view of the elk. While doing this, I noticed a bull and some cows further down the canyon. This was not good, as we were getting further from the truck and deeper down off the mesa. I set up the spotter and Cody decided he would not shoot that bull. He had passed bigger/more unique, and was worried about getting the meat out. Whew.

For the sake of footage, I offered to drop down the canyon and see if I could bump the elk past Cody and Loren. They looked at me like I was crazy. Why not, I had come here to shoot TV? It was only another 300 feet of vertical and another half mile across. I think they doubted the elk would come through where I told them to set up.

I eased down the hill and waited for the cows to feed behind the rocks. I then moved in with the wind in my face, knowing the bull should be just below the rocks I would pop out on. Very similar set up to the situation when I shot my NM archery bull three weeks ago. I got to the edge and was did I see about ten yards away and slightly below. Mr. Bull taking an afternoon nap. Took out the digital and took a quick pic as he woke from my rustling.

IMG_5725.JPG

The elk came right by Loren and Cody. I waited with trepidation, hoping Cody would stick to his decision not to shoot that bull. Finally I watched the elk clear the saddle into the next basin. I climbed out of the canyon and Loren and Cody had big smiles. Things had worked perfectly. Some fantastic footage and the elk were headed closer toward the truck. Good on all accounts.

We had not expected out trip to see One Beam get interrupted by this encounter, so we expected One Beam and his cows would have headed out with the other herd. Since we were close, we decided to go and check.

One of the calves was still bedded. She was looking to our left. We had nothing to lose, so we moved closer, keeping one scrubby bush between us and her. As we got within 80 yards, a bugle sounded just to our left and over the ridge. I told Cody to get ready, in case it was one he wanted. Loren had no cover, so he stood upright and rolled the film over my shoulder.

I made a bugle that was quickly answered. I then cow called and another bugle rang. Loren said he saw antlers coming our direction. This seemed impossible, as the wind was dead wrong.

I continued to make a squeaky cow call and four cows started over the ridge to our position just 50 yards from them. Thinking the cows were getting away, the bull came over the ridge and cut them off, standing between us and them, even though we had no cover higher than timothy grass.

It was One Beam, and he was not happy. He came into about 35 yards, looking right through us. Cody was smiling and looking at me as if to say, "I can't believe this." I whispered that if he wanted One Beam, now was the time to shoot this old worn out dude. He shook his head, No. Eventually One Beam and his cows headed south the direction that would put them much closer to our trailhead.

A great afternoon. We did see another big herd going south east, the direction we wished for. In the rear was a nice bull who seemed disinterested in running, but when you fight to acquire a herd of 20 cows, you follow where they go.

It was a really long hike back to the truck. Cody had passed on three bulls and given the silence of the last two miles of the hike, I think his tank was empty. I asked how he was doing and if he had any more to give. He smiled and stated he had enough gas for two more days of this.

The GPS showed we had hiked over 25 miles in the last three days. Hard miles. I was worried about taking the fun out of this, but Cody insisted this was fun and was exactly what he had come to do. Wow, I was impressed.

IMG_5720.JPG

sounds like fun. Man, when i looked at that picture at first i was going WTF is wrong with that things face?? took a while to make out what seems to be some brush or plant covering his face

After walking our hips out of our sockets yesterday, the morning did not start out good. I was so tired, I went to bed without setting the alarm. Fortunately, my built in alarm clock got us up 20 minutes past the desired time.

We skipped breakfast and coffee and headed to the dumping off point. Parked the truck and hustled our way into the mesa and canyon country. Daylight was coming soon by the time we reached the bluff that gave us the best view of our terrain.

While waiting for the sun to come up enough to film, I asked Cody what his expectations were for today. Tomorrow was the last day, and we would probably have to make it a morning hunt, if we were to get Cody to the airport for his early flight the next day. Cody replied that he was looking for a unique bull and when he saw it, he would know it. I gave it no more thought, since he had been very mature and deliberate in his selection of when or when not to shoot a bull. Mostly, when not to shoot.

As I watched the sun start to provide enough light to glass, I heard a bugle to our west. I looked at Cody and Loren, as they have way better ears than me. They confirmed I had heard a bugle. I told Cody that we had to make a play, even in this low light, as once the elk dropped off the mesa, finding them proved to be difficult and labor intensive. He smiled and said, "Let's Go!"

With that, we headed west, on the run. Before dropping into the next draw, I decided to glass and see if I could find the guy making the noise. Didn't have to look long. He and his 20 cows were out on the bench in front of us at 700 yards. They were easing toward the canyon on the north edge of this mesa, so time was not on our side.

We followed the few scattered trees in front of us, but the sharp-eyed cows were already looking our way. We had at least another 300 yards to cover to get within a reasonable shooting range. Now what to do?

I had stuffed Bessy the Moo Cow in Cody's pack and he had been carrying that thing around for all these miles. I told him to get over to me and I was going to pull Bessy out of his pack and assemble her, ASAP.

Cody and Loren kept and eye on the elk as I worked to build a portable blind. The elk were still moving and the bull had closed the distance and was now standing with the cows.

We had nothing to lose. I told Loren and Cody to tuck in right behind me as I lifted Bessy and we walked straight across the open grasslands, on a direct line to the elk. They all bunched up and looked at us. Cody started to laugh.

The lead cow was now coming our way with cautious steps. The rest of the cows looked nervous, but trusted her lead. The bull was looking at us, but seemed unconcerned.

I asked Cody if he was comfortable with the shot. He asked how far. I ranged it at 247. I set the Leupold CDS dial to 250 and told Cody to move to the left of the cow and get set up with the bipod. There was a small rockpile that gave him some elevation over the grass. I provided cover with the cow in front of him and Loren as they set up.

When Cody said he was ready, I moved to his right. He loaded a round. He asked Loren if Loren was ready. As is always the case, Loren was ready and told Cody to shoot when he was comfortable.

I stepped back to avoid any muzzle blast and put my binos on the bull. As the lead cow started to turn and move away, Cody fired. I heard what I was sure had to be a hit, but the bull did nothing but flinch slightly, then stand there as Cody chambered another round.

His cows had seen enough and they took off in full flight. The bull seeing them run, grabbed his own gears and headed the same direction.

Running out of character space. Will continue in another post.

Sorry for the delay. Here it is after the shot.

I was worried Cody had missed. I told him to take the bullet from the chamber and follow me to the point of rocks about 500 yards out. At about 200 yards, he passed me and looked like an Olympic hurdler going over the sage. He beat me and Loren to the rock ledge by about five seconds.

We stood and looked. No sign of any elk.

I told Cody to sidehill to the saddle where the elk had crossed below us on the first day. He started and four cows emerged from the rocks below us. We stopped and looked. No bull. We glanced on the opposite hillside, and over a dozen cows had already made the saddle. I glassed and could see no bull.

As I strained to find the bull on the far canyon wall, Loren yelled, "Bull below, bull below." From the rocks below, the bull started trotting off. I tried all my calls, but to no avail. He was not stopping for anything, but was not moving very well.

I pointed Cody to some rocks below that would be a shortcut to the saddle, if the bull came through the same as the cows. It was very steep. Cody took a serious spill in his scramble to get in position on the rock point 300 yards out and below. I was going to ask if he was OK, but he was up and making distance from me before I could even get to him.

As we came to the rocks, the four cows come across the bottom below us at 275 yards. Still no bull. I told Cody to sit and wait., but be ready. We sat for about three or four minutes, watching the two cow groups make their way out of the canyon far to our southwest.

Just as I was worried we had lost the bull, he limped out of the trees right below us. I cow called and he stopped in a cluster of pinons. He was pretty much invisible, obscured by the pine growth and offering Cody no shot.

It gave me time to range the opening he would step into once he left the safety of the pinons. 280 yards according to the TBR. I knew Cody was set at 250, so I told him to aim dead center, as the difference would be negligible.

The bull stepped to our west a few paces and was now partially obscured by the trees, but still no shot. His head was down and he was not looking good. It appeared that he wanted to bed. I asked Loren if he was able to get a glimpse of the first shot in the camera viewfinder. Loren stated he saw the bull flinch, but could not tell for sure.

Putting these pieces together, I was now sure Cody had hit the bull on the first shot. The urgency was still there, but my concern of the bull getting away had lessened. This bull was not able to keep up with his cows, and even though he knew we were 280 yards from him, he stood looking at us in the trees.

I told Cody to catch his breath and when the bull moved again, I was going to hit a really loud cow call. I told Cody I was sure the bull was hit and he agreed and confirmed how good the first shot had felt.

Within about five minutes, the bull started up the opposing hillside. As he hit an opening, I gave my best cow call as loud as I could. The bull stopped, quarterly away and looking back our direction.

Cody said he was going to fire. Loren told Cody to take him when he was ready. The words had no more than left Loren's mouth, when the shot rang across the canyon. The bull folded like he was hit by lightning.

The hooping and hollering echoed up and down the canyon. I watched the bull and he did not move or twitch. Big hugs and backslaps were in order.

After unloading the rifle and gathering our gear, we headed down to the bull. We instantly picked up his blood trail leading into the pinions. Sporadic bleeding while going downhill, but quite heavy when going uphill. Not that it mattered, as we could see Cody's bull laying dead in front of us.

When we got there, it showed Cody had hit the bull his first shot. Perfect elevation, just too far back, missing the lungs, barely clipping the liver, and causing some serious indigestion. The second shot was a dead bullseye, right between the withers, exiting out the front of the chest.

Even more exciting was that Cody got his "unique bull." Very unique, as you can see by the pictures. The bull got in a fight with a fence and it looked like the bull won. How cool is that. Cody is going to have the bull mounted and is keeping all the wire wrapped around the antlers, the same as you see in the pics.

The fun lasted through the picture taking. Cody was all smiles and seemed to be in a dreamland. What a great reward to watch him be so excited after working so hard this week. But, as anyone who has shot elk in a hell hole knows, the work was not over.

Cody helped as I showed him the gutless method of de-boning an elk. It was a mile to the truck, which wasn't bad, but the canyon and rocks made me decide this bull was getting de-boned. It took a while, but within three hours, the pictures were taken, the meat was hanging in the shade and the first set of heavy game bags were loaded in our packs.

We have been hauling elk most of the day. We are whooped, tired, sore, and happy to have that work behind us. Cody is still smiling.

Tomorrow we will wrap up some TV stuff and then head to ABQ where Cody will catch a plane. I will load the truck and trailer and head back to Montana, having a week break before filming my MT elk hunt on opening weekend.

I am sure I will smile the entire drive home as I think about the look on Cody's face as he turned to me following the bull dropping at the second shot. It is that reason why I was so happy to have Cody come on this hunt. The same as when I watched my son shoot his first bull.

Cody and I spent some quality time this week. When you push the effort as hard as we did, you find out what kind of character your hunting partner has. Cody scores high on all counts. As we took the last loads, he told me he hopes it is not long before we share elk camp again. I agree.

Loren did his normal amazing job. I lost his tripod and professional fluid head. He was relegated to hand held, or using my Brunton carbon fiber tripod and Gitzo fluid head that are built for spotting scopes. not built for cameras like the one he toted around the hills this week. Yet, in spite of the difficulty I created, we reviewed the footage and it is exceptional. Thanks, Loren., You saved my tail.

I hope Cody takes from this, a lifelong love for hunting wild places. That he sees the value in places that are off limits to motorized access. That he sees the great work done by hunters and conservation groups such as RMEF. And that he realizes that if he puts his mind to it, he can overcome some very difficult challenges and if that results in success, it is much sweeter than if it was handed to you on a silver platter.

Thanks Cody, Thanks Loren. Hopefully everyone who watches this episode will feel the urge to take a young person hunting and will do so. This episode will show you why family, friends, and hunting are the most important things in my life.

I would say Cody got his "unique bull."
nm elk cody 2010 006.jpg

The best elk sign I can find. If you are looking for good elk sign, that sign right there is usually all the further you need to look.
nm elk cody 2010 038.jpg

Cody taking out the last load. Meat comes out first, then the bone. Congrats Cody. You earned this one, for sure.
nm elk cody 2010 058.jpg

I can't wait to see the all the episodes of hunts from this season! They all sound great from the ones I've read.

Congratulations to Cody! Sure was great to follow along on this hunt. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Once again, congrats on another great hunt! I just sucks we have to wait over a year (at least I do since I STILL don't have cable) to see it for ourselves.

Congrats to Cody, sounds like a great hunt for all involved.

You just may have filmed the perfect hunting episode right there. What a great story and hunt. Congrats to Cody and to you also for making it happen for him.

Back