New Mexico Archery Elk - New ground, same game.

Ugh....amazing. Good luck, Fin. Hopefully the extra scouting time pays off for your limited days of hunting.

Man... That's rough. Do you at least have the gear so you can do some filming the next two days?

...... Do you at least have the gear so you can do some filming the next two days?

Nope. He has all the camera gear. I do have a little Point of View camera, but that is hardly a feasible filming solution.

I just need to fins the dumbest elk in North america and hope he doesn't get killed by other hunters before a replacement gets here. Going scouting tomorrow and the way things are going, a 400" bull will stand and threaten me from 12 yards, knowing I can't shoot him until the camera gets here..

Bugler will like this. While glassing this evening, I found a huge shed hanging in a small Gambel's Oak, on the face of a canyon near a canyon where Bugler was glassing for sheds when we were down here antelope hunting. I think after the sun gets high tomorrow, I will hike the 3/4 mile in there and scale that cliff to pluck that antler out of the tree growing on that steep hillside. If I do, it belongs to Bugler. It looks really big, but I wouldn't know a big shed from a small shed.

Frustrating to say the least I'm sure. However, if I were to put my money on a hunter making lemonade out of a lemon situation, it would be you. Just take a stout lasso and get that 400" bull tied to a tree in the next couple days. Best of luck!

What a flake!!:mad: The world is full of them. If you don't like the work you're doing that's fine but give your employer notice at a minimum of two weeks before you quit! The world has a generation of these dead beats that just come and go as they please. There's no such thing as commitment or thought for others. Sorry for the rant but I really can feel for you Randy. It will all work out I'm sure.

What a flake!!:mad: The world is full of them. If you don't like the work you're doing that's fine but give your employer notice at a minimum of two weeks before you quit! The world has a generation of these dead beats that just come and go as they please. There's no such thing as commitment or thought for others. Sorry for the rant but I really can feel for you Randy. It will all work out I'm sure.

I totally agree. I hate nothing more than showing up to work on a Monday morning and wondering where someone is. Then you call to make sure nothing has happened and they either answer and quit, or don't even have the balls to answer. This has happened to me a couple times. It is completely frustrating. Sadly the "generation of dead beats" seems to be mostly from my age group. Obviously it’s not strictly to that, but still it amazes me how someone can get through life at all with no common courtesy or work ethic.

I apologize for my ranting as well but it is frustrating. Especially to read something like this where it isn't just Randy this guy is screwing over, it’s the production company, Randy, and the replacement camera guy rushed out and many other factors I am overlooking I am sure.

Anyway again I am sorry but good luck Randy, everyone else and I hope everything works out for you. Have a great hunt and thanks for what you do in representing the real sportsmen.

Good luck Fin... I can feel the pain. I also know the way business is. The little set backs hurt and you have to punt at times. But in the end, most prevail. As I think onya will do. I feel a great story line hitting the air next year off of this one.

Headed to St' Paul today. Then supposed to be going to Id eith a stop in Billings for a couple days. Of course that can change in my world also.

Good Luck.... You Have a great crowd rooting for ya.

As a really wise man once told me " I 've been to two World Fair's and one............." Nothing suprises me anymore in the employee department. We are all rootin for you!!!!

Well Fin you can give me a call and I would be there......to eat all the food, drink all the water, slow you down while making fun of you all the way. You would likely be laughing to much to kill anything but I am an excellent caller.

Oh yeah,

I also snore something fierce...and pass gas.

The day started very good, but went down hill from there. Within a half hour, I spotted a really cool bull. Plenty big, but not super huge. At his 4th, the main beam splits and he has two huge tines on the part that would normally be the 4th. And, he has a very nice 5th and 6th on that beam. Total points on his driver's side beam is 9. Regular 6 on the other side.

Saw a total of ten bulls today. Three of them being decent 6 points.

Season opens in the morning, but when I tell you the next fiasco, you will see what it really doesn't matter that it opens in ten hours. Here is where it started going downhill.

This season we have tried to add in some new camera guys. Troy and Loren have done great, as always, and are doing some episodes this year. But, being guys with families, the travel schedule is hard to accommodate a normal family life. So, we have a new guy lined up for this hunt.

I get a call at 5pm tonight. He quit. He isn't even here, and he quit. Come again? I confirmed he was not going to be here. Affirmative.

I call the production company in a panic. They ask me if I heard him correctly. Yup, made sure of that before calling. They are scrambling to get a camera guy here as soon as possible, which will be tomorrow night at the soonest, but in most practicality, sometime on Tuesday.

Some would say, just go hunt by yourself and forget the cameras. Parts of me agree. But, when you have almost $2,000 tied up in a public land filming permit, another $775 in tags, a couple thousand in travel, motels, meals, etc., you need to get something out of that. And, it is not like we have a lot of spare tags to use for the replacement hunt which would still have all these same costs and the difficulty of fitting it into an already crammed schedule.

So, it looks like I have at least one, probably two, more days to scout. It is only a six day hunt, so we are going to he hard pressed to find any bulls for encounters, let alone kill one on film. Would ask, "What next?" but don't want to know the answer to that question.

Nothing is ever easy in any business. Producing public land hunting TV is no exception.

The Sea Shephard must have called! John:mad:

Making us look bad I tell you. Camera guys.....they are a pain in the butt. If Randy wouldn't have beat me up so bad hiking on our last trip I'd fly down and help. Sorry to hear this man.

Fin, nothing to do but take it in stride, scout hard and when the video guy stuff is lined out- whack another big one on camera. Life is still Good!

Checked out some new country this morning. Can cross that area off the map. Saw nothing. Heard nothing.

Hiked in to pick uo the big shed for Bugler. It was huge. The side I was looking at was probably 350" all by itself. Too bad it turned out to be a bleached burned tree that looked very much like an antler. Damn.

Headed to some other country for the afternoon/evening scout. Hope it is home of Pekin. You would have to be from my little home town of Big Falls to understand the name "Pekin." He was one of the biggest, and for sure the toughest guy in the county. Always accommodating to any request from most anyone. Im looking for a big, tough, yet accommodating bull. The elk version of Pekin.

So far, the production company has not been able to find a replacement. Not a surprise, given it is the middle of hunting season and every camera guy they have is already committed to a different hunt.

Good luck finding Pekin. Look forward to following your hunt. Whip those camera guys into shape. :) LOL

Pekin. I love it. Good luck Randy

Figured if anyone would get a laugh out of that, it would be you and a few others. With my luck, I am probably going to run into a bull that resembles PeeWee B, the Ridge Runner, or Romeo, rather than Pekin. Guess any bull will do, but would like it to be at least Boskow dimensions, if not Pekin.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Orth
Back