Yeti GOBOX Collection

New Mexico Archery Barbary tag

Sitkahoyt95

I drew my very first Barbary sheep tag and I really want to give the hunt justice. I have a big spotter, good boots, and good binos. I just want to know what to expect and what it’ll take to just get into them
Thanks in advance

might post in “other big game” group as Barbary/aoudad are not big 3. ot even a sheep. fun and challenging tho.

One hunt under my belt so take following with a grain of salt.

glass off a tripod, binos as well as spotter. They are a lot harder than you might expect to spot. they really blend in. glass intently and glass some more before moving on. I found them very skittish and running to the next county even when we were way far away.

SE NM tag I presume? archery or rifle?

Last edited:
might post in “other big game” group as Barbary/aoudad are not big 3. ot even a sheep. fun and challenging tho.

One hunt under my belt so take following with a grain of salt.

glass pff a trippd binos as well as spotter. They are a lot harder than you might expect to spot. they really blend in. glass intently and glass some more befor moving on. I found them very skittish and running to the next county even when we were way far away.

SE NM tag I presume? archery or rifle?
im new to "sheep" hunting noticed the sheep tab in this big 3 section. will post to big game thank you

I've killed a couple Barbary sheep, but none with a bow. I've killed them all in Unit 30, there are tons of sheep in that unit and if you put on the miles and glass, you should have no problem finding one. In January I would recommend to glass the sunny side of the mountain in the mornings, they will be sunning them selves. These animals don't stay bedded very long they will move all day. Look at rougher parts of the mountain and for some reason I spot them closer to the top. I've always like hunting from the top and Glassing down I've had more success that way since they always seem to be bedding on the top of the shelf or walking on it where you wont be able to see from the bottom. Not sure if your looking to make a scouting trip but, The North Rim off Forrest Road 67 would be a good place to start. Around Indian Tank and Little Dog are good sheep area. You will have to walk to the Rim since most the road have been barricaded by the Game and fish. Good luck and hope this helps.

I've killed a couple Barbary sheep, but none with a bow. I've killed them all in Unit 30, there are tons of sheep in that unit and if you put on the miles and glass, you should have no problem finding one. In January I would recommend to glass the sunny side of the mountain in the mornings, they will be sunning them selves. These animals don't stay bedded very long they will move all day. Look at rougher parts of the mountain and for some reason I spot them closer to the top. I've always like hunting from the top and Glassing down I've had more success that way since they always seem to be bedding on the top of the shelf or walking on it where you wont be able to see from the bottom. Not sure if your looking to make a scouting trip but, The North Rim off Forrest Road 67 would be a good place to start. Around Indian Tank and Little Dog are good sheep area. You will have to walk to the Rim since most the road have been barricaded by the Game and fish. Good luck and hope this helps.
very helpful thank you

My kids have the F/IM tags for 28 on the McGregor range Jan-6/7. If you want to swap info shoot me a PM. We may see something on your side or vice versa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back