New Mexico Application

If you don’t get drawn for a New Mexico tag do they refund you with a check or just refund the credit card?
They do a good job on their draw, quick refunds etc but it's basically a raffle, NR tag numbers are terrible. Worse this year due to changes.

CC, they are quick about it to. One way NM shit their shit together. If they dumped the outfitter and land owner welfare the place would be the promised land.

How quick? deadline is march 18th I'm curious when I'd see a credit on my CC statement

How quick? deadline is march 18th I'm curious when I'd see a credit on my CC statement
I believe it was 10 days last year.

Honestly after applying on most of the western states I firmly believe NM is the gold standard of how to run a draw. Brochure is simple and easy to understand, website is user friendly, turn around for apps and credit cards is very reasonable.

Honestly after applying on most of the western states I firmly believe NM is the gold standard of how to run a draw. Brochure is simple and easy to understand, website is user friendly, turn around for apps and credit cards is very reasonable.

I do agree with this. The total turn around from application to refund is about a month.

They do a good job on their draw, quick refunds etc but it's basically a raffle, NR tag numbers are terrible. Worse this year due to changes.

Yep. The new rounding result in a loss of 144 elk tags, 168 deer tags, and 156 pronghorn tags for NR’s and outfitters(usually NRs), and as far as I can tell, not one of those tags went to residents. Those are only 1 tag per hunt code, that one tag was added to the published quota, so it never came from any tags that were ever intended to go to residents, and cutting those tags isn’t putting a single tag in a resident’s pocket. It is however costing NMGF about $230,000 in NR tag fees, and $4212 in habitat and access stamps. It might cost them in license sales as well. We’ll find out after the draw.

NR pronghorn tags, which were already dismal, have been almost cut in half to about 60.

I love the three choice random draw. I wish more states worked like that.

Since I already drew elk in AZ, pronghorn is unlikely, and some of the easy deer tags I used to put as a third choice have had their NR tags cut from 1 to 0, or from 2 to 1, I’m debating just staying out of NM this year and doing my deer hunting in AZ.

The truth has been spoken

so is it 10 days or 1 month?

From the draw results it’s been 10-14 days over the last 5yrs. From the application date it’s closer to 1 month. Some years they released draw results a week earlier than others, but according to my memory, which could be wrong, the refund has hit my account pretty close to four weeks after the app deadline every time.

Theres some great NR draw opportunities in NM. Theres a few not many hunts that NR odds make me wish I had as resident.

I do believe that the DIY NR get left behind in NM draws though. Now if you can afford landowner tag prices then you can hunt NM prime hunts every yr.
Sure would like to see the outfitter draw pool for elk specificlly go away, and give the 10% to NR or added youth opportunities. IMO outfitters have tremendous opportunity already for elk in NM since 51% of all elk tags never make it to the draw but go straight to landowners. Vast majority of those private bull tags are outfitted and now everyone is a outfitter/guide in NM. Was at gnf meeting last yr and they mentioned estimated 30% private land cow tags never get converted into hunts. Theres is some definite fat trimming imo that needs to happen in NM. Think with the new scoring of private land it's a step in the right direction. But most unused cow tags were the larger ranches. I wouldn't change NM draw process as it's the best imo.
Good luck to you all as the draw deadline is coming soon.

Theres some great NR draw opportunities in NM. Theres a few not many hunts that NR odds make me wish I had as resident.

I do believe that the DIY NR get left behind in NM draws though. Now if you can afford landowner tag prices then you can hunt NM prime hunts every yr.
Sure would like to see the outfitter draw pool for elk specificlly go away, and give the 10% to NR or added youth opportunities. IMO outfitters have tremendous opportunity already for elk in NM since 51% of all elk tags never make it to the draw but go straight to landowners. Vast majority of those private bull tags are outfitted and now everyone is a outfitter/guide in NM. Was at gnf meeting last yr and they mentioned estimated 30% private land cow tags never get converted into hunts. Theres is some definite fat trimming imo that needs to happen in NM. Think with the new scoring of private land it's a step in the right direction. But most unused cow tags were the larger ranches. I wouldn't change NM draw process as it's the best imo.
Good luck to you all as the draw deadline is coming soon.

Isn't the quota for cow elk tags exactly zero for non-residents? Well, does the landowner pay for the tag whether is hunted or not? Maybe NM is thriving so does not miss out on the motel rooms and other things a non-resident spends in NM if could draw a cow elk tag in the draw.

No draw cow tags go to NRs. Landowners do not pay for, or get tags. They receive free vouchers for tags, but the user of the voucher has to pay NMGF for the tag. The landowner can use the voucher themselves, sell, or give away the vouchers. Many outfitters will purchase every voucher that a land owner has as a lot in order to control all the hunting on the ranch, so it doesn’t surprise me that a lot of those cow vouchers wouldn’t get turned in.

I don’t know how anyone could say that there aren’t many hunts in NM with NR odds that don’t make them wish they had resident odds. All the resident odds are tremendously better than non-outfitted NR odds. Furthermore, residents are allowed into the outfitted pool as well. Although those are mostly NRs, if a resident is going to use an outfitter and sees that the outfitter pool has better odds, then a resident can apply in that pool. I would be excited just to see the NR and outfitter pools be equal at 8%. The outfitter pool would still have much better odds than the regular NR pool.

I never meant I'd rather have NR draw odds across the board over my resident odds.
That being said theres a few prime hunts that are overlooked and NR odds are way higher that resident odds for those hunts. There are some sleeper opportunities for NR is what I was getting at.
Didnt mean to mislead or give false insight.

I never meant I'd rather have NR draw odds across the board over my resident odds.
That being said theres a few prime hunts that are overlooked and NR odds are way higher that resident odds for those hunts. There are some sleeper opportunities for NR is what I was getting at.
Didnt mean to mislead or give false insight.

I haven’t noticed that on any of the any weapon seasons for mule deer, antelope, or elk...except for one elk hunt, that had one NR tag per season and some years was 100% for NRs, but other years 10% or less, but it was usually quite high for residents, and devoid of public land. It’s probably great for a local, but pretty iffy for a NR. Doesn’t matter, under the new rules, there’s no longer a NR tag for that hunt.

There may be a few anomalies for archery or muzzle loader.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back