MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

New Mexico aoudad

skeet20

I see New Mexico has some areas which are open all year for aoudad to which I am considering applying.

Is there anyone out there that has hunted them in those areas and if you have, is there any one best time to hunt them?

I would appreciate any information you could provide on hunting these animals as well as which areas would be a good place to hunt them. It would have to be on public land.

Thanks

The New Mexico forum on monster muleys is going to have about as good of information on the subject as you are going to find anywhere.

I don't think there are any areas open year round anymore though, you have to draw the tag now.

They call them Barbary sheep in New Mexico.

REALLY tough hunt on public land.

The state-wide hunt is over-the-counter. No draw necessary. The draw areas are off-limits to the statewide hunt. I know some people have success on the statewide hunt, but it's tough.

You can hunt them in West Texas for about $800 on a couple of private ranches. These are not guided hunts and its on about 8000 acres. When I talked to the owner he stated that the Spring time was best for them & recomended that we bring some sort of ATV to get around due to the large area of land you may have to hunt. If you are intertested, PM me and I will get you the info.

Last edited:
Would you share this information with anyone who is looking to hunt Aoudad ?

Not meaning to jack your thread here but i have been looking at hunting these for some time now as well but i dont know anyone who has hunted them are they any good to eat? I like antelope bear and any other wild game i have shot so just wondering if they are decent to eat as well?

I hunted Barbary Sheep/Aoudad in NM several years ago. I lived in West Texas and purchased a tag over the counter at Wal-Mart in Carlsbad on my way out to set up camp. The area I hunted was west of Carlsbad and a little north and west of Queen, NM. I hunted 5 days at the beginning of February and each weekend there after in an area called "The Rim". In the interest of full disclosure, I was not successful in taking an animal. I didn't even see a sheep (plenty of mule deer, antelope, quail, and even a mountain lion, though).

However, I did have a conversation with the area game warden (Brian was his first name, I think.). He said there were sheep in the area and I saw several (2-3 groups) other guys out hunting the same area. The game warden said the year round hunting areas are areas where they are trying to get rid of the Barbary Sheep because they are competing with Desert Big Horn (or at least areas they would like to develop populations of Desert Big Horn). The area west of Carlsbad is not part of the range for the Desert Big Horn, so they are trying to manage a population of Barbary Sheep and have (or at least had) a season for hunting.

I was, and still am in many ways, an inexperienced hunter, but for the $300 or so for the tag, I learned quite a bit. I need better optics and a spotting scope. I need the patience to sit and glass, which I did not do enough. I think like most sheep, they are just tough to hunt. The advantage is they are much less expensive and more accessible than some of the other sheep species. I would go back and try again in a heartbeat.

I shot one in Texas a few years ago. It was decent to eat. It wasn't gamey or strong tasting.It was an old ewe, so she was a little tough. The next one I get will probably be made into alot of summer sausage, burger, or cubed steak. But I would definitely plan on taking it home.

Mike, if you are willing to share the contact in Texas I would be interested.

Headed down this January to Shafter, Texas DIY hunt. Long drive from PA but worth every mile I'll drive. Love hunting Southwest Texas. Took a nice female last time and two javelina. Had an oppurtunity for a big ram but flat out missed em! Maybe I can close the deal this time!

I drew a New Mexico Barbary Sheep Tag for this year. Research for the tag has been on hold while I prepare for my Bighorn hunt.

Are the drawn Barbary Sheep tags for different units than the over-the-counter option or simply a better time of the year to hunt? I too have wanted to look into hunting this species in NM or SW Texas, whichever option provides the best success ratios on fair chase hunts. I am willing to work for it.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back