PEAX Equipment

New Member from Washington State

Croz

Hi All,

After hearing Randy on the Meatear podcast, I found the Hunt Talk podcast and this forum. I've been nothing but impressed with this community and the head honcho of it since I started lurking a few days ago.

I grew up and have remained in the foothills of the Cascade mountains of Washington state. While fishing was a pretty routine activity, my family hasn't hunted for a couple of generations. This year, I will be breaking that drought. Other than a solitary coyote and some squirrels, my resume is bare.

Even with that inexperience, I've decided to dive in head first. On August 22nd/23rd, I have a bear hunt booked with a local biologist/botanist. In the fall, I will be joining an experienced elk hunting party in central Washington. The chances of success are slim, but I hope to increase the odds with experience and learning from you all if you'll have me.

Regards,

-Curt

Thanks both. From what I've been told, the Colockum sure was something when it came to elk. Not doing so great since the Taylor Bridge fire a couple years back. I believe we're going south of Kitittas Valley this fall.

Appreciate the welcoming.

Hey Croz ! Welcome. As I have tried to tell every new victim, listen to no one but, me ! Liars and retrobates abound within this realm!

Rule #1, Pictures first. Lies and long stories come in a close 2nd, as long as you can post a vivid story. ;)

Welcome! I also joined a couple weeks ago after being impressed with the show and the podcast. Good for you for deciding to take up hunting. I hunt in the Cascades of Oregon and Washington every year. There are a lot of opportunities in these mountains, but from my experience the key to success is to get into those more remote areas where everyone else is too lazy to go.

Hey Croz ! Welcome. As I have tried to tell every new victim, listen to no one but, me ! Liars and retrobates abound within this realm!

Rule #1, Pictures first. Lies and long stories come in a close 2nd, as long as you can post a vivid story. ;)

Duly noted Gunner. I'm not one for exaggeration or tall tales,so the "pics or it didn't happen" rule will definitely be upheld.

Jeremiah - Thanks for the advice. The game plan is to follow Randy's strategy of being a mile from every motor. Seems as though the coasties in Washington have quite the affinity for the south-central cascades. planning on staying North to avoid them.

Thanks both. From what I've been told, the Colockum sure was something when it came to elk. Not doing so great since the Taylor Bridge fire a couple years back. I believe we're going south of Kitittas Valley this fall.

Appreciate the welcoming.

Was that from someone that hunts there regularly trying to steer you away? Snag Canyon and the Naneum fire cleared a bunch of overgrowth, it was much needed. :)

Croz, you said:

"The chances of success are slim, but I hope to increase the odds with experience and learning from you all if you'll have me."

For me, success on a hunting adventure is guaranteed, if I correctly define success. Hanging out with friends, learning new skills, enjoying the fullness of nature (which sadly sometimes includes poison ivy, 'skeeters, and ticks!) and learning something about yourself. Bagging an animal or two can only increase the amount of success you will have on your adventures.

Welcome to the HuntTalk madness. It is pretty good around here, don't mess it up! ;)

Back