New Member from Virginia

GriffHunt35

Hi Folks,

I am a new member from Virginia and am eager to be a part of the forum! I grew up hunting deer, though have not yet found a type of hunting I do not enjoy (waterfowl, upland, bear, etc...). I have two young sons, and really want to learn from the forum so when they are old enough to begin hunting, I can take them on self-guided trips throughout the West.

v/r

Ron

Welcome Griff,

I just moved back out West after finishing my last seven years in the military in Virginia. I loved Virginia for a lot of reasons, not the least of which was the LOOOOOOONG Whitetail season for bowhunters. Enjoy the forum and best of luck with your two boys. You won't find a better family builder than sharing the outdoors with them.

You aren't kidding about the length of the deer season here, especially for bowhunters. Several counties have urban archery seasons that open in September, while in other counties you have been able to hunt antler-less deer with a rifle until the end of March!

Welcome Griff,

I just moved back out West after finishing my last seven years in the military in Virginia. I loved Virginia for a lot of reasons, not the least of which was the LOOOOOOONG Whitetail season for bowhunters. Enjoy the forum and best of luck with your two boys. You won't find a better family builder than sharing the outdoors with them.

Don't tell these guys we can deer hunt 7 months out of the year. Then they really will hate non residents. NoVa does not sound like it but it has one of the highest deer densities in the country. But the key is getting onto private property to hunt. I had a buddy who knocked on doors to try and find a place to hunt. One farm owner answered the door and it was Robert Duvall. He bluntly asked, "what do you want".

My uncle lived in Arlington area and shot some bruisers there in the yards of million dollar homes basically while bow hunting. Tons of deer up there versus these mountain deer in swva.

Haha, I am not trying to give away any "insider" information! :)

Don't tell these guys we can deer hunt 7 months out of the year. Then they really will hate non residents. NoVa does not sound like it but it has one of the highest deer densities in the country. But the key is getting onto private property to hunt. I had a buddy who knocked on doors to try and find a place to hunt. One farm owner answered the door and it was Robert Duvall. He bluntly asked, "what do you want".

My uncle lived in Arlington area and shot some bruisers there in the yards of million dollar homes basically while bow hunting. Tons of deer up there versus these mountain deer in swva.

BrownBear, You are so right. Dee pop in VA is incredible. On our 10 acre parcel, with one food plot, we'd harvest about 90-100 deer each year, between myself and 5-6 other guys, the majority were does. What was nice is that I completely prefer does meat over bucks and was never without good venison. Our group would only keep what we wanted, and then, through Virginia's great program, "Hunters for the Hungry" we'd donate the rest of the animals. I know we fed a lot of people with those donations.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back