MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

New chick from Manitoba

To hunt caribou in the winter in Manitoba you load up your snowmobile and about 8 jerry cans of gas and drive north until the pavement ends ( about 13 hrs from Winnipeg) then you get on the ice roads for another 16 hrs. It is only an extra 150 miles on the winter road but you can only go about 10-12mph.

We camp on the side of the road in a big wall tent and go out by snowmobile daily over the frozen lakes in search of caribou. Your hunting is limited by the amount of gas you can carry. It’s cold (-40) but w the right gear it’s doable. It’s not really a solo adventure logistically bc of the extremely remote location and safety in numbers.

It’s not a trophy hunt bc the bulls have shed their antlers by the time the ice road is built. The cows still carry them but we mostly find bachelor groups of bulls. The meat is delicious and although they’re not much taller than deer they’re stocky and yield more meat. Their hearts are massive (like a domestic cow sized) and tender and the hide is one of the warmest furs out there.

We can buy tags (2) on a first come basis in June but the numbers are limited. It’s a long tough wait from June until the roads open. Hopefully next week.
Well I'm looking forward to stories and pics from this year's hunt. It sounds like a hell of an adventure.

Good morning from central Wyoming, my girls and I tend to get our 3 antelope bucks every year on just a weekend. We make a competition out of it. We have rules and a point system. It’s fun.

Wow! I’d love to see some pictures and hear from stories from that.
Wow! I’d love to see some pictures and hear from stories from that.
2857A6B0-7AF6-43B0-98F4-215DBEAE17F1.jpegB2659453-2747-42F9-BF02-7AB9401C8983.jpegF7D9B348-47B5-434D-9580-ACF613B72549.jpeg1093C11F-7C98-4186-9785-22CB937A77FC.jpeg26E82D0E-6097-42C9-80CA-AD0892B9883B.jpeg
You can see a bit of what the winter road looks like. At -40 I had to upgrade my snowmobile suit (FXR Adrenaline) and boots (Baffin Impact) and relied on an electric helmet visor warmer to see. Note: bring extra cables, they break or get lost in the trees. I was warm enough riding but you sure can cool off quick during a pee break.
We shot 7 ‘bou about a 2 hour ride from camp, further FBA19859-4777-4D1F-BB7C-91AB979410FB.jpegup the winter road and then through a series of lakes. Don’t think I’m spot burning w this map.
In our snowmobile convoy of 8 we carried three sleds and two jerry cans of gas, just to make sure we could all get back to camp each night.
I was lucky to join my buddy’s group who’ve hunted caribou together like this for years so everything was dialled in.

My wife and I have done those winter caribou hunts in Northern Quebec prior to the season closure. Preparation for the extreme cold is paramount !!! Really fun hunt !!! Do you see a lot of wolves there ? We saw dozens of them.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back