Caribou Gear

New member from Texas, heading to Oregon

(all in jest incase somebody lives in one of these towns)

Nobody lives in Madras by choice.
Prineville used to be one step ahead of LaPine but has gotten to be a pretty good place.
Redmond is Bend's red headed step child.
We used to go the A&W in Bend for root beer floats when I was a kid. Pretty sure it’s closed now.

Prineville does have both a Dairy Queen and Tastee Treat…

Is the Brother's Store and Cafe still open? We used to get burgers there on our way to/from my grandpa's summer grazing allotment on the desert. There was a pop machine that you could get bottles of strawberry or orange Crush soda from.

Is the Brother's Store and Cafe still open? We used to get burgers there on our way to/from my grandpa's summer grazing allotment on the desert. There was a pop machine that you could get bottles of strawberry or orange Crush soda from.
If you’re talking about the Hampton Station/Stage Stop in Brothers yes it’s unfortunately closed down. Neat old place☹️

Exciting times to be moving into Greater Idaho! Oh my, but seriously fun to be a fly on the wall with that.

Texas to Oregon? Man, you in for some culture shock.
I live in Central Oregon, been here coming 33 yrs. Hunting has gone pretty bad, especially bird hunting. Bad thing about Oregon is Portland metro area and Springfield/Eugene pretty much run the whole state! Bend is getting awful liberal also! I hate going to Bend and simply don't go to Portland if I can help it and when I do I'm always armed!

Exciting times to be moving into Greater Idaho! Oh my, but seriously fun to be a fly on the wall with that

Ha, that oregon seceding thread going yesterday got pretty lively -- sounded like any E. Oregonians would get a boot to the face from the Idaho locals. That movement might want to come up with a new marketing campaign, or just just stop.

Welcome from Northern Nevada. Started my big game hunting journey while living just east of Springfield. Actually my first season in fire in Oregon as well.

Ha, that oregon seceding thread going yesterday got pretty lively -- sounded like any E. Oregonians would get a boot to the face from the Idaho locals. That movement might want to come up with a new marketing campaign, or just just stop.
I've been in Oregon my whole life, eastern Oregon since 1964- Just Stop is the right answer. If some of our Oregonians don't like the way the state is governed, then start proposing laws that have value to Oregon voters, run candidates who aren't b@tsh!t crazy, and support national candidates who still believe in their oath to the constitution and the rule of law. Yeah, I know it's hard, you actually have to consistently work at it and you don't get a participation trophy at the end of the season, but it's how the process has worked for almost 250 years. Democracy writ large is worth the effort.

Thanks! I've actually read a fair bit and had a nice phone convo with a guy I met on a facebook group for Oregon hunters who was pretty helpful. Unfortunatly this year I'm considered non-resident so I'm not expecting much luck, hopefully just build some preference points and have to pay to hunt someone's landowners tags (assuming they're not all spoken for...)
OHA is great. Work hard for hunters.

Welcome to Oregon. Leave your guns behind they are not welcome here.

I've been in Oregon my whole life, eastern Oregon since 1964- Just Stop is the right answer. If some of our Oregonians don't like the way the state is governed, then start proposing laws that have value to Oregon voters, run candidates who aren't b@tsh!t crazy, and support national candidates who still believe in their oath to the constitution and the rule of law. Yeah, I know it's hard, you actually have to consistently work at it and you don't get a participation trophy at the end of the season, but it's how the process has worked for almost 250 years. Democracy writ large is worth the effort.
And show up to vote. Poor turnout from the East last election.

I joke navigating parts of Portland is like that movie Escape from New York.

(Sorry to hijack the thread -- safe travels from TX to Central Oregon!)
Was in Bend last week. First visit in a decade. Wow. What a growth spurt! Has everything you want if have disposable income other than a major airport. Weed smoke is common as is young adventurers recreating all four seasons.

Been in Portland for three decades. Avoid. Some suburbs are okay to transit but region-wide there are 1000s of homeless tents and debris from their lack of bathroom facilities and drug-induced mental challenges combined with need to steal for paying for addiction cravings…is tougher than parts of NYC. We are killing people with kindness and handouts by terming a powerful drug crisis as a homeless crisis.

Congrats on your new adventure. Welcome to the NW.

Back