Caribou Gear

New Member – Colorado

Don't forget the most of the eastern side of the state has OTC archery antelope tags that are either sex. It's nice to be able to get a buck every year that way instead of waiting years to gain points for most decent units for a rifle tag. Now that muzzleloader season dates have changed it seems that those tags are going to start being harder to get now. Don't forget about fishing, either. There's a ton of great fishing all over the state!!

Thank you John, I really appreciate the tips. I’ve fished the Eagle twice now and it was very good. Looking forward to the new adventures here in CO.

Don't forget the most of the eastern side of the state has OTC archery antelope tags that are either sex. It's nice to be able to get a buck every year that way instead of waiting years to gain points for most decent units for a rifle tag. Now that muzzleloader season dates have changed it seems that those tags are going to start being harder to get now. Don't forget about fishing, either. There's a ton of great fishing all over the state!!

I'm a former East Coaster moved to Colorado after I retired from the Army...so I've been slowly learning my way around Colorado hunting and fishing...

Mudranger is just jealous that I've killed a couple of antelope bucks with my bow, let alone ones with antlers above their ears :hump: (he's a transplant too)

Hahaa.
Congrats John, archery kills are a gift to be proud. I only have 2 under my belt and I've been bow hunting for many years. Hell it took me over 3 years before I connected on the 1st one.

Thank you for your service John!

I'm a former East Coaster moved to Colorado after I retired from the Army...so I've been slowly learning my way around Colorado hunting and fishing...

Mudranger is just jealous that I've killed a couple of antelope bucks with my bow, let alone ones with antlers above their ears :hump: (he's a transplant too)

No need to thank me. I'm not sure where you live, but the Arkansas river flow has finally slowed down through Big Horn Sheep Canyon between Canon City and Salida. It's an awesome day to drive the canyon and just pull off in spots to drop a fly now that the run off has subsided. There's also bathrooms along the way in the little state recreation areas every few miles. There's a day use area before the State park entrance to Pueblo state park that has some awesome hopper/terrestrial fishing along the opposite bank if you can cast tight to the trees. The water is pretty shallow, so you'd only need hip waders. It's a good idea to tie on a dropper. I've done pretty good with Prince Nymphs and Copper John's. There's a trail that runs along the river to the left that's worth a hike to hit a couple nice spots as well.

But, don't listen to me :D

Don't you talk about me that way Cush! I'll get that bow Antelope when I stop chasing Sept elk!:cool:

You have a friend that lives 10 minutes from unit 135 and a ton of public land that holds a lot of antelope that does a lot of scouting all year, but you never stop in to see him when you drive right through his town on your way to hunt other places....:D Hell, you could even stay at his place and get a real bed and home cooked meals and a shower if you came down to hunt....hmm...

Last edited:
Didn't I tell you not to talk to me that way! Hunting is over an 2 hours away from you. But you are right I should have stopped by now. I will give you that. And how does that above the ears antelope TAG taste? Whaaaaaaa?????

My muzzleloader doe tag tasted ok with a little hot sauce :D I didn't get an archery tag this year because I was busy not filling my archery elk tag lol. We need to get together one of these times I'm going thru to Denver for the VA or sometimes I have appointments in Springs. But, you work for a living and I'm retired. I'd be down for a meet up in Pueblo for dinner one night or something :D But, we do need to get together and draw blood on critters at some point :D

Welcome. A pronghorn buck hunt is a fantastic introduction to big game hunting. Do you have a small caliber rifle for your oldest son to practice target shooting? Several hundred rounds shot would build confidence and safety awareness. Practice using shooting sticks and shooting off a backpack as well.

If the money is there, start building bonus points in CO and neighboring states for the little ones that are of age.

Hunting education is required in most states so that is something to arrange if your son has not been passed yet.

Good luck on this upcoming adventure!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back