Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

New Lease

dgc1963

Good morning everyone the sun will sine a bit brighter today
I just got a new lease here in Pa. not far from my home their is a lot of deer and turkey sign Incl buck sign we saw 50 deer and 30 turkey a few nights ago its abt 300 acres and should be a great place. 3 of us are archers and 1 rifle so not much pressure, we wont shoot anything lees than an 8 pt and its got to be past its ears we like letting em get some age
it has fields and food plots will go in soon its SC Pa so no bear Im getting in on 1600 acres up north and have other bear places up their too
Last yr sucked I lost 3 farms due to sales right b4 last archery season so looking forward to a new yr

Was wondering the same thing, good way to get kids, new hunters in general. Make em pay!
While a noble idea, not real life. Farmers dont want new hunters and kids, they either want people that kill deer and lots of them or people with deep pockets to pay for the lease to help compensate for crop loss/damage/taxes.

I also often hear "Well if they dont want deer they should open it to the public!". Ive seen as many as 21 hunters on 140 acres of private open to the public on the opening day of rifle season. I'll let you guys guess how many deer they killed after 21 dudes, arrived in trucks, parked on the edge of the field, slammed tailgates, etc. That same farmer complains endlessly about deer damage but can't figure out why the hunters never kill any....

Hopefully people on the lease share the love and bring in neighbors, children, and friends. Unless the OP is paying premium dollars or the farm isn't cropland, the owner is likely going to want the numbers thinned out as a part of the agreement. From my experience, picky hunters on a cropland deer lease wont have that lease for long.

Last edited:
Dorothy/Kansas/no more
I know, shouldnt have jumped on that. No offense to anyone who leases. I get its a different day. I still drop off a favorite bottle for the farmers or spend as much time in the tractor in the summer and spring as time allows. Once you pay and sign a lease theres no accessing that property without it for anyone ever again. I absolutely hate it and what it snowballs into. My apologies to the op, sleepless night with an 8 month old.

Understood fully, and realize everyone doesn't respect the land. My wifes family hunts a large area in WI for geese, their family know all the farmers and could hunt where the flocks were working. Even though they knew the farmers they would stop in and verify. Over the last few years some of the farmers denied permission because outfitters from IL were offering$$ to lease. That went on for a couple the farmers got sick of these slobs acting like they bought the land. Worked out good in the long run, I believe the relatives are back in.

I was going to start guiding hunts this year around here for waterfowl. This is the exact reason I couldn't bring myself to do it. I dont lease anything and I didn't want to open that can of worms in my own backyard.

Yup finding a good lease in Pa isnt easy. And they had folks hunting b4 us but they left trash n crap all over so its been a while
We keep tabs all the time and clean up all our places its not hard to be respectful of someones property but some folks are clueless

I was going to start guiding hunts this year around here for waterfowl. This is the exact reason I couldn't bring myself to do it. I dont lease anything and I didn't want to open that can of worms in my own backyard.
Good for you! I wish more people had this mentality these days. Growing up I had a well to do uncle who refused to take one penny for lease money and refused to pay for one. He always said a man shouldn't have to do that to hunt. He was a huge bear and turkey hunter and could care less about deer. Man looking back he sure was right because it opens up a lot of different things once money gets involved. Hope you guys do well in PA. The area I live in is going to the way of the lease also. I despise it to be honest and would probably quit hunting if I were forced to pay into one.

Papers are signed getting together with the other guys next wk its a friend Ive known since we were 5 and 7 and we hunt together all the time and his son whos 30 now
We all hunt the same take does early b4 rut and let the buck get older ,putting up cams next week and starting food plot prep

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back