New Kimber Hunter......going after Tikka, Howa?

Stubaby

http://www.kimberamerica.com/hunter

Saw one of these at scheels in billings in the creedmore. A stock only a mother could love. Seems like a good value if they shoot good. Only comes in short action for now.

The guy also said the new mystery ranch hunting packs with the guide light frames should be here in a few weeks.

I looked at the Kimber before I bought my Howa Alpine Mountain. The reason I did not get one, the stock made a ton of noise on the Kimber. Run your finger across the stock and/or knock on it.

what caliber in the alpine did you get? What are their chioces?

first the hipsters took over my pbr. Now they want the 26 caliber, too?

Don't worry about the hipsters. They're more likely to revive the .303 Brittish and not jump on some hot new round like the creedmore. That little 6.5 just lacks the irony the hipsters will need to make it cool.

I too saw the Kimber Hunter in a local store last week. It doesn't have the stock finish of the Adirondack or the Mountain Ascent, but its $700-ish as compared to $1,400 or $1,700! Its a bit heavier then wither of those as well. I would be sweating profusely if it was available in long action and 280 AI as the Mountain Ascent is. While I already own many more guns than I need or use, I would still be tempted by that offering. Heck, I am tempted too by the 6.5 Creedmore that's currently available! :)

I've been gonna pick up a new "lightweight" .308 for awhile now. Been going back and forth in my head between a Tikka and a Savage Lightweight Hunter...then I came across one of these at Sportmans the other day...

Seemed like a good gun to me, I really like the 3 position safety a lot more than the other offerings, it might be enough to sway me that way!

I've been gonna pick up a new "lightweight" .308 for awhile now. Been going back and forth in my head between a Tikka and a Savage Lightweight Hunter...then I came across one of these at Sportmans the other day...

Seemed like a good gun to me, I really like the 3 position safety a lot more than the other offerings, it might be enough to sway me that way!

I would try to get a hold of one of the howa Alpines if you can. I've messed around and hunted with both tikkas and kimbers, and I'd pick the howa over either.

I looked at a kimber hunter the other day, and I didn't mind the stock that much. For plastic you can do a lot worse.

I do like the looks of the Alpine but it's starting to creep out of the price range I'd like to stay in.

$800 is about where I'd like to be, don't the Alpine go for about $1,100 typically?

I do like the looks of the Alpine but it's starting to creep out of the price range I'd like to stay in.

$800 is about where I'd like to be, don't the Alpine go for about $1,100 typically?

Gun Broker is your friend :) That's where I got mine.

Gun Broker is your friend :) That's where I got mine.

Unfortunately, I have to go the Cabelas route as I have a serious amount of Club Points to burn up. I say 'unfortunately' as the service at the gun counter in the Boise Cabelas is absolutely horrendous and it pains me to spend any money there...

Unfortunately, I have to go the Cabelas route as I have a serious amount of Club Points to burn up. I say 'unfortunately' as the service at the gun counter in the Boise Cabelas is absolutely horrendous and it pains me to spend any money there...

Use your points on the scope. You can get an alpine rifle for 200-300 under msrp on gunbroker.

Big bear in billings had a T3 Lite in stainless for $599 in .25-06. Got a Leupold VX-3 3.3-10x50 with the CDS at Cabelas for $415. I'll take that combo over a Howa any day.

FWIW, the hunter can be swapped into a Montana stock later if one so chooses. Dealer on another sight posted pics of him swapping them. That said, getting a hold of a Montana stock is not easy and would not be cheap.

Big bear in billings had a T3 Lite in stainless for $599 in .25-06. Got a Leupold VX-3 3.3-10x50 with the CDS at Cabelas for $415. I'll take that combo over a Howa any day.

care to give any insight as to why? we value input, positive or negative. thanks!

I know about 15 people who have the Tikka, and I've never heard anything bad about them. I own a Sako A7 in 7mag and I can shoot a pop can with it at 700 yards. I'm not a big fan of the Tikka stock, but the dead deer I will kill with it won't mind. The Tikka is a Tikka all the way through and made in Europe. I hear Howa is not really a gun manufacturer, they get parts and pieces from other companies, then put them together(I could be wrong). Same reason I only buy Honda lawnmowers, Generators, and Yamaha atvs and not piece of junk Polaris. I played with the Howa at Scheels, and the gun just didn't give me that "gotta have it" feeling. If there is a stainless Howa that will outshoot this Tikka for $599 then I'd love to shoot it and let people know what I think.

Back