Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

New Kimber Hunter......going after Tikka, Howa?

I know about 15 people who have the Tikka, and I've never heard anything bad about them. I own a Sako A7 in 7mag and I can shoot a pop can with it at 700 yards. I'm not a big fan of the Tikka stock, but the dead deer I will kill with it won't mind. The Tikka is a Tikka all the way through and made in Europe. I hear Howa is not really a gun manufacturer, they get parts and pieces from other companies, then put them together(I could be wrong). Same reason I only buy Honda lawnmowers, Generators, and Yamaha atvs and not piece of junk Polaris. I played with the Howa at Scheels, and the gun just didn't give me that "gotta have it" feeling. If there is a stainless Howa that will outshoot this Tikka for $599 then I'd love to shoot it and let people know what I think.

Howa, is a precision machining company that also makes the barreled actions. Unlike many other barreled action companies who attempt the opposite.
we here at Legacy source the stocks from premium manufacturers and assemble them into the actual rifle. You would be very hard pressed to find companies that do not source parts from other companies to make their complete firearm (in a budget friendly configuration).

if you would like any more information, pictures, diagrams etc... on what makes a Howa rifle, let me know!

Stubaby,

IRRC, you do get a 3 position safety on the Howa, and the stock is far superior. I own a Tikka T3 Stainless, and have handled/seen in action the Alpine rifle. They are both nice rifles, but if I was looking for a light mountain rifle, it would be the Howa.

For $600 I didn't see any howa that wasn't a blued barrel in a model called a legacy. If the mountain is $1,100 then I'll take my a7.

For a grand I can get this tikka and a vx3i scope for it.

I realize that Randy is sponsored by howa. But that doesn't mean I'm hunting with Leupold binos or spotters.

Get me a howa Mtn in 7-08 for less than $700 and I'll buy two of them.

Completely concur Stubaby. My tikka lite stainless has been everything I could want in a 1k gun for $530.

For $600 I didn't see any howa that wasn't a blued barrel in a model called a legacy. If the mountain is $1,100 then I'll take my a7.

For a grand I can get this tikka and a vx3i scope for it.

I realize that Randy is sponsored by howa. But that doesn't mean I'm hunting with Leupold binos or spotters.

Get me a howa Mtn in 7-08 for less than $700 and I'll buy two of them.

I work for the company that imports the Howa barreled actions (Legacy Sports International). we pair the barreled action with stocks and scopes/rings/bases to make the rifle or rifle package.
the stock on the Howa Alpine Mountain rifle is a hand made synthetic stock, aluminum pillars, aluminum recoil block. These are hand fitted to the barreled action, hence the MSRP. Essentially you are getting a custom rifle (cerakote finish included!) for a factory rifle price.

Try a Howa action before you slam them Stubbaby.

And junk Polaris??

You seem set on what you can afford maybe?

Ive got a Howa and a Polaris I would not trade for anything.

Ever

I never slammed anything. For $600 I'll take a tikka over a howa legacy. The Mtn rifle seems legit, but for that money I'll save more and get a Finnlight.

Polaris is junk. Their quads are overweight, always in the shop, don't hold their value, piles of garbage.

Lots of mechanics in my family. Plus lots of personal experience with getting those 900lb ugly quads back to the trailer with friends who keep buying them and then regret because they always break down.

I can afford Swarovski binos and spotter. My opinions are based on personal experience.

I had both rifles in my hand and the tikka felt better, plus all my friends that have them. For $1,000 I can get the rifle and scope. Sorry to hurt you feelings. Keep your Polaris because it would be very hard to sell it compared to a similar Honda, Yamaha, ect.

I never slammed anything. Polaris is junk. Their quads are overweight, always in the shop, don't hold their value, piles of garbage.

Lots of mechanics in my family. Plus lots of personal experience with getting those 900lb ugly quads back to the trailer with friends who keep buying them and then regret because they always break down.

Keep your Polaris because it would be very hard to sell it compared to a similar Honda, Yamaha, ect.

I would love to hear your definition of "slam" Stubaby....sure sounds like a slam to me...

Hardly a slam IMO....different strokes...since when can't an opinion be offered? Looks like clarification was asked for and stu gave his.

I never slammed the Howa rifle. I was more impressed with the thorough explanation of the Rep who was very informative and helpful. If they really are as nice as the rep says they are and based on his description of components they should deserve a second look. If I offended him or any happy howa owners I apologize.

I did slam Polaris because every time I ride one or have friends that do I'm surprised that anyone would spend their hard earned money on one.

If the power went out and you neighbor offered you his Honda generator or a Polaris generator which one would you choose?

I was making a comparison. I've been riding atvs my whole life and people who think they ride nice are just liking the body roll, not suspension performance. I've had friends standed in the mountains, sand dunes, and in the middle of the desert due to stupid Taiwanese parts going out.

Go drive a King Quad 750 with power steering then tell me how great a Polaris is. That's my opinion through experience. If you don't like it then tuff.

I hear Howa is not really a gun manufacturer, they get parts and pieces from other companies

That is the part i was referring too. Slam was a poor choice of words on my part. My apologies.

Add in the polaris is junk and i must of slipped lol

Grew up on a honda big red 3 wheeler. Thought i dead and went to heaven in the 80's when suzuki built the 2wd quad runner 230. Non of the new stuff is junk in my mind.

Agreed about the honda generators but other then that your experiences dont match mine.

I like the tikka also. If i was strapped for cash i would buy one but to many other features to be had for a a little more money in todays market.

I also used gun broker to purchase it and made up the difference right there. Just an idea

I never slammed the Howa rifle. I was more impressed with the thorough explanation of the Rep who was very informative and helpful. If they really are as nice as the rep says they are and based on his description of components they should deserve a second look. If I offended him or any happy howa owners I apologize.

none taken here! a little information goes a long way.

Okay, so I'm considering these rifles, needing input:

1) Tikka t3x
2) Bergara B14
3) Kimber Hunter

The Tikka t3 has a good reputation, and I like the changes they've made for the t3x. I like the feel of the action and the reputation for accuracy.

If I have this right, the kimber is essentially an 84M that they put on a cheap stock. I'm not crazy about the wobbly action, but from my research that is common with mauser style controlled feed actions. Kimbers have a great reputation.

The Bergara is kinda new and I don't know much about it. Their barrels have a good reputation but I don't know much about their accuracy or trigger quality. It's a little heavier than the tikka and kimber which is a plus for me. The stock feels a lot better than the others. It's not available w/ a stainless barrel.

Current t3 is ~ $550 for blue, $650 for stainless (t3x may be more)
Bergara B14 is ~ $670 for blue
Kimber Hunter is ~ $770 for stainless

Those are best prices I've found.

I just bought a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40 to put on this. Trying to cap the rifle cost at at $800. If anyone has other suggestions, I'm open. Thanks!

Back