Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New Kansas hunter looking for hunting buddy

Hitman86

Looking for another fellow hunter who is either experianced or non experianced. Looking for someone who would enjoy year round hunting. As a new hunter I would like to experiance all seasons that Kansas has to offer. I'm not a Kansas native nor have I ever hunted before. I have gone turkey hunting this year but no luck, close but just couldn't make it happen. Currently I've been attempting to squirrel/rabbit hunt. I've been succesfull but having hard time skinning and gutting. Looking forward to dove season. I have crossbow, rifles and shotguns. Would be great to have a mentor or learn with someone who is also new. I love being in the woods, its all fun but would like to put meat in freezer at the same time. I'm also open to any suggestions.

If you look on YouTube, I am pretty sure that you can find a video on how to clean a squirrel, it is real easy once someone shows you how to do it, about 2 minutes and your done.

good luck finding someone. and welcome to the site.

Kevin

Welcome aboard Hitman. Stick around and you'll pick up some pointers. I just did a quick search on rabbit cleaning. Most of the videos I saw do it much different than I, but their way obviously works. I hang them by their hind feet and just pull the hide down all the way to the head. You can do this with your hands, no need for any knife work. Remove head and front feet. Now the hides completely off. Hang 'em with the belly towards you and carefully slit open the belly, top to bottom. I do this by making a small hole between the hind legs and using my off hand hold/spread it apart so I can slip my knife in without cutting into the guts. Pull/cut guts out and quarter. I can do it faster than I can type how to do it... ;)

This guy cleans squirrels like I do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZB7iE2b21M

I know we have some KS guys on the board. Hope they will send you a PM and offer some help. I've hunted the walk-in hunting areas (WIHA) a lot. Crazy amounts of turkeys on those properties, and some good deer.

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome from the Springs!! I am only a hunter because someone took time to show and mentor me as an adult. I can't express how thankful I am for that. Best of luck hooking up with a Guru :) If nothing else, get yourself out in the woods and learn by trial and error. Worst thing that can happen is a peaceful day in the woods. You might want to tap into th eknowledge of the local F&G folks. They may have programs or know of folks involved in clubs, groups etc. Hope you have a great season.

Best advice I can give you is to buy a lifetime license while you are a resident. You will never regret it.

If you look on YouTube, I am pretty sure that you can find a video on how to clean a squirrel, it is real easy once someone shows you how to do it, about 2 minutes and your done.

good luck finding someone. and welcome to the site.

Kevin

I spend all day looking at youtube and tryed many methods but usually end up ripping the hide and and spend my time cutting what didn't come off the first time. I've only cleaned and gutted two squirrels and so far what I learned is if you don't clean and gut the hide it gets tougher but with time I'm sure I'll get it. Thanks!

Welcome aboard Hitman. Stick around and you'll pick up some pointers. I just did a quick search on rabbit cleaning. Most of the videos I saw do it much different than I, but their way obviously works. I hang them by their hind feet and just pull the hide down all the way to the head. You can do this with your hands, no need for any knife work. Remove head and front feet. Now the hides completely off. Hang 'em with the belly towards you and carefully slit open the belly, top to bottom. I do this by making a small hole between the hind legs and using my off hand hold/spread it apart so I can slip my knife in without cutting into the guts. Pull/cut guts out and quarter. I can do it faster than I can type how to do it... ;)

This guy cleans squirrels like I do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZB7iE2b21M

Thanks for the video link, I only gotten one rabbit so far and tried the easy way to gut which all the guts come out the anal, it looked easy on youtube but made more work for me.

I know we have some KS guys on the board. Hope they will send you a PM and offer some help. I've hunted the walk-in hunting areas (WIHA) a lot. Crazy amounts of turkeys on those properties, and some good deer.

Welcome to the forum.

Turkey were plentifull but I'm so green I was doing everything wrong. I did all my homework to scout of course I'm going off of youtube videos and opening season to the end of the season I was out their night and day heck even all day I should have just stayed the night to save gas. Lol!

Welcome from the Springs!! I am only a hunter because someone took time to show and mentor me as an adult. I can't express how thankful I am for that. Best of luck hooking up with a Guru :) If nothing else, get yourself out in the woods and learn by trial and error. Worst thing that can happen is a peaceful day in the woods. You might want to tap into th eknowledge of the local F&G folks. They may have programs or know of folks involved in clubs, groups etc. Hope you have a great season.

I finally decided to hunt when my neihgbor told me he never has to buy meat from the store and I would see these bucks he would bring home and watch him gut this massive deer and still be pumped about it. My goal is to put meat in freezer get my girls involved spend time make memories and pass it on.

In addition to WHA, I usedto hunt around the federal flood control lakes that are all over the state. Many of them have public hunting areas. Deer, turkey, upland, waterfowl, dove, etc.

Squirrels are much tougher to clean than rabbits. After cutting through the tail, be sure to skin down the legs a bit. It'll give you more to step on. Once you pull the hide off the front half, don't take your foot off it. Just reach down with one hand and peel the hind leg skin off, pulling up, towards you. You'll get better with more practice, so be sure to get out there and get some more! :D

Yes, they are easier to skin if done sooner. I have carried a bread sack with me to put them in after immediately skinning them. However, I usually just want until I get back to the truck or home as I can keep the carcass clean easier.

You might want to consider getting one of these to help. It sure is handy to be able to easily hang them to get the cuts started correctly.
http://www.huntsmart.com/Small-Game-Cincher-Skinning-Gambrel

Welcome to the site and welcome to hunting. I live on the other side of Wichita from you in Augusta so I am not too far away.

I see where KSDad has pm'd you and feel free to pm me I would be happy to be a resource for you. You may already know but in Goddard you are well on your way to several good public hunting locations in Cheney and Byron Walker just west of Kingman as well as others.

When spring rolls around I would be happy to tag along with you during turkey season and pass any knowledge or experiences I have with those crazy birds.

Best wishes,

Tom
spurs001_zpsa714acee.jpg

Squirrels are much tougher to clean than rabbits. After cutting through the tail, be sure to skin down the legs a bit. It'll give you more to step on. Once you pull the hide off the front half, don't take your foot off it. Just reach down with one hand and peel the hind leg skin off, pulling up, towards you. You'll get better with more practice, so be sure to get out there and get some more! :D

Yes, they are easier to skin if done sooner. I have carried a bread sack with me to put them in after immediately skinning them. However, I usually just want until I get back to the truck or home as I can keep the carcass clean easier.

You might want to consider getting one of these to help. It sure is handy to be able to easily hang them to get the cuts started correctly.
http://www.huntsmart.com/Small-Game-Cincher-Skinning-Gambrel

Hey thanks for the link I ordered one, it should be a breeze now!:)

Welcome to the site and welcome to hunting. I live on the other side of Wichita from you in Augusta so I am not too far away.

I see where KSDad has pm'd you and feel free to pm me I would be happy to be a resource for you. You may already know but in Goddard you are well on your way to several good public hunting locations in Cheney and Byron Walker just west of Kingman as well as others.

When spring rolls around I would be happy to tag along with you during turkey season and pass any knowledge or experiences I have with those crazy birds.

Best wishes,

Tom
spurs001_zpsa714acee.jpg

Hey, thanks! I sure will keep you in mind. I have only been to cheney. I know there's a lot of hunting ground up their but I have a difficult time trying to figure out where the hunting land is and boundries. Last thing I want is to be hunting where I'm not suppose to.

Back