New Hunting Rifle advice

There is a big difference between the 783 and Tikka. You wanna go higher do Fieldcraft in a 6.5 creed.

I'd like to try some 120 TTSX hand loads in my Tikka 7mm-08. Would you mind sharing your load details, knowing my results may vary. I've got the T3 Forest (22 7/16" barrel, 11" twist, 6lb 13oz).

To the OP, we're all recommending our favorite rifles, so I'll add that I love my Tikka T3 Forest. Adjustable trigger pull (2-4lb), 10 oz heavier than the Lite version, nice walnut stock. When I was looking, the Ruger American was in the running as well.

With the 120 TTSX and 120 Ballistic tip, try
43-44 grains Reloder 15
46-48 grains Reloder 16
49-51 grains Ramshot Big Game (my favorite)

I know I'm coming in late to this thread, but I have owned several different guns and by far my vote goes toward either the Weatherby Vanguard series, or the Howa 1500 series. I own both, .308 and .243 respectively, and for the price they can't be beat. Both guns without optics were $400 each.

I just started handloading for them, and I am able to shoot a three shot group under 0.33" center to center. I just don't think you can beat those guns for the money!

All I'll say for caliber, is that I love my .308, but I know there is a lot of different options out there.

I'm a big believer that you don't need a magnum to kill game. However for cost savings, changing the stock can make a huge difference. Shape, weight, material, all factor in. Boyd's has a good YouTube video showing the difference between wood and injection molded plastic in regards to recoil. Good luck!

Thank you for all the input. I guess a little more info would help. I have a 30.06 as well that I shoot fairly well but I got the .300 win mag for elk and have just never gotten comfortable with it and started flinching even with lots of bench time trying to get comfortable. I don’t seem to have the problem as much with other guns although after shooting the 300 at the range I tend to flinch with anything. I know this is something that I have to work through and I will but I was also looking for something without a lot of kick that would help me make better shots. Randy mentions 7mm 08 in a YouTube video and I just went there. And the wife said I could get a new gun and I wasn’t gonna turn that down. Maybe I should just get a deer gun and use what I already have for elk. I just want to ethically take down animals and I just never seem comfortable with the 300 even though I have killed animals with it. Sorry for the long rant and thanks for the help. My wife seems to want to start hunting antelope and I have a 3 yr old and I just jumped to light recoil thinking they may be able to use it.

I was in the same situation. Then I put a muzzle brake on the 300 WM, and it helped immensely. very worthwhile investment, and now I'm looking for a antelope weapon too. what did you end up getting?

I did just get Remington 700 in 6.5 Creedmoor that I will use for antelope and deer and for my son to learn with when he gets older. I just like the feel of the 700 better than all the other guns I picked up.

If your 30-06 is in good shape and you shoot it well, keep it for your elk rifle and sell the 300 mag. Take the money and add that to the money you have for a new rifle and get a nice 7-08 with quality scope for deer and antelope. Tikka T3, Bergara B14, Browning x-bolt, or the Remington 700 mountain rifle Noharley mentioned above would be good options.
Howa or Vangard are a bit heavier but still a good rifle for the money.
I have been looking at a new bolt action. I’m a big Browning rifle lover but am willing to look at other models and manufacturers. I really wanted to look into a model 70 Winchester but have recently gained interest in a Weatherby, Howa, and even Ruger. I’ve owned a Remington 700 in 308. It was an ADL model and I sold it to a buddy. It was an alright rifle. I wasn’t that impressed. The bolt really was not smooth. Anyways, I was really looking at a Winchester model 70 but recently found out that it’s platform of being a Mauser might not have the ability to drop one in the chamber with the bolt open (like my old 700) and chamber that round for firing. Something about the extractor claw needing to take it from the magazine. I’ve heard Ruger has a claw extracting bolt but you can drop one in the open bolt for chambering and the bolt adapts without problem. Am I mislead or wrong? I need some guidance on this. Btw, I love 300 Win Mag. That’s what I’ll get another rifle chambered in. I hope this post makes sense but any help or direction would be very helpful. Thanks! P. S. Does anyone have any info on Howa? I know they make barrels for Weatherby. They look like a great company and high quality product. How’s their customer service. Browning & Winchester from my past experiences were 5 star but I know Weatherby is top notch also from a friend. What’s Howa’s bolt system like as my concerns are from above. I’ve scene Randy do a few videos from them addressing quality of product but other than it’s feeding system; whats their principal operation system (claw extractor or push system)? I’m not a cheapskate and will pay for a quality rifle and the service after the purchase. Thanks again for any direction and help!

Thank you all for all the insight. I will spend more time behind the 300 and look into a different stock. I found that Boyd’s has a stock for the 783s but have not found anyone else that does.
If you don't handload your own cartridges now, I'd use the new gun money for a handloading set up. That will allow you to load both your 30--06 and 300 Win Mag to levels you can shoot well. If that's not the route you'd like to go, I'd look at getting a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor; especially since your son has one. I favor it over the 7-08 for a non-reloader as the factory ammo options are more widespread and easily available. A used blued Tikka can often times be found with some looking for about the price of a new Ruger American. If you go the American route, I'd not discount the Predator version and I'l also look for one with the newer AICS compatible magazine.

Thank you for all the input. I guess a little more info would help. I have a 30.06 as well that I shoot fairly well but I got the .300 win mag for elk and have just never gotten comfortable with it and started flinching even with lots of bench time trying to get comfortable. I don’t seem to have the problem as much with other guns although after shooting the 300 at the range I tend to flinch with anything. I know this is something that I have to work through and I will but I was also looking for something without a lot of kick that would help me make better shots. Randy mentions 7mm 08 in a YouTube video and I just went there. And the wife said I could get a new gun and I wasn’t gonna turn that down. Maybe I should just get a deer gun and use what I already have for elk. I just want to ethically take down animals and I just never seem comfortable with the 300 even though I have killed animals with it. Sorry for the long rant and thanks for the help. My wife seems to want to start hunting antelope and I have a 3 yr old and I just jumped to light recoil thinking they may be able to use it.

I've got the same feelings about a 7 mm rem mag and am in the process of selling it and my 30-06 for one good gun. A Sako .308 75 Finnlite- all stainless, no fuss, 30 cal. I hear muzzle brakes being mentioned... those are great on the bench with ear plugs and ear muffs on, but hunting? Not to me.

bought my daughter Begara in 6.5 creedmore and it it an amazing rifle. She has killed two elk at 300 yd with no problem. Very little recoil and it is a tack driver with factory and hand loads.

Anyone have a comment about the Pachmayr decelerator pads for reducing recoil? I've got one on a 6.5-06, but have not used it yet.
Put one on that 300 of mine. Completely different ball game. I might have to change out my scope mounts because of eye relief issues but it’s a completely different gun to shoot.

Put one on that 300 of mine. Completely different ball game. I might have to change out my scope mounts because of eye relief issues but it’s a completely different gun to shoot.

I had mine put on the stock to give a specific LOP when I ordered it so we'll see when I get it back from the stock fitter.

Does it compress that much when you fire a round or did you get one that's thinner? Brownells has a whole bunch of colors and thicknesses.

Does it compress that much when you fire a round or did you get one that's thinner? Brownells has a whole bunch of colors and thicknesses.
It just changed the length of pull and messed with my view through the scope. My setup did not have much room for adjustments.

Back