New Hunting Rifle advice

jerm8352

The wife finally gave me the ok to buy a new hunting rifle. I currently have a Remington 783 in 300 win mag. But it tears up my shoulder and is heavy and I am looking to get a 6.5 creedmoor or 7mm 08. I do not want to break the bank but I am looking for a nice rifle for elk, mulies and antelope here in Pinedale Wy. That Remington 783 shoots straight but it just feels cheap. I have read a lot about all these new entry line rifles being very accurate and just wanted to know all your thoughts. I am not married to one particular brand and yes I know to go get my hands on as many as possible but just looking for a place to start. I load my own rounds as well so I should be able to get pretty good accuracy with a decent rifle.

Thanks for all the insight.

I'm not trying to sound like a sponsor whore, but I bought a Howa 1500 in 30-06 and I'm cloverleafing 3 shot groups at 100 yards with handloads. The rifle ran about $450. I also have a Ruger American and it's a damn good shooter with factory ammo for a good price point. A good time to look for guns it towards the end of summer when sales and rebates start. There was just a good rebate on Savage rifles. My advice would be to find the rifle you like and look at Bud's online. They usually beat just about anyone's price, plus do a 90 day layaway. Also, don't overlook the Savage Axis, TC Compass, and Mossberg Patriots. All of them shoot great for entry rifles.

If you are going for elk or mulies I'd lean more toward a .270 .308 or 30-06. The 7mm08 will do the trick as long as you do your part. I personally use my 7mm08 more for deer size game. I'm sure if you don't mind spending the $ you could look at .280AI. It all depends on what your preferences are. Do you want a rifle that is easy to find rounds for, do you reload, do you like the offhand / unique calibers. Me personally I own several different rifles all non magnum. .243Win, .270Win, 7mm08 Rem and a .280 Rem. All very capable rounds.

Savage: accurate, affordable. Out to 400 yards in a short action I'd choose 7mm over 6.5 because I only hunt elk. I don't shoot @ game beyond 300, though my 270 and 7 RM will both go there..

If you do some looking online (classified section on hunting forums) you can find nice lightly used rifles at several hundred dollars off their regular price. I purchased a new Remington 700 CDL for $600 once. I personally like Remingtons and 7mm mags. A light-weight rifle 6lbs in a 7mm-08 will kick, not like your 300. Rifles around 8.5-9.0 lbs seem to shoot the best with moderate recoil. Best of luck in your search.

check out this thread

Thanks for the free advertising noharley!

I'd scour the used racks of your nearest sporting goods stores. You can typically find a couple of used Winchester Model 70s or Remington 700s with nice wood in calibers that would work. I know you said that you want to upgrade from your cheap 783, but aren't willing to spend the Tikka money, so used would be a great option.

A lot depends on budget, tikkas are some great shooters for the money but as mtmuley mentioned they don't feel like a high end gun. Although I don't own one (yet) the Bergara might be a great fit for you, very solid feeling gun and most all reports are that they shoot great. In all honesty you just need to go to a good gun shop and play around with some guns and see how the feel. I own more brownings than anything because they shoot pretty well but most importantly they fit me perfectly. In regards to caliber, the 6.5 creedmoor is just not a reliable elk gun imo. I've shot quite a few cows with the 7mm-08 and while it has worked every time I wouldn't want any less that is for sure. A 270 or 308 may be worth a look

Are you going to keep the 300 Win or is this a replacement for that? If you're going to keep it, I'd use that for elk and get a nice 7mm08 for speedgoats and mule deer. If you aren't concerned about weight, the Weatherby Vanguard and Howa 1500 are really good for the price. I have a Howa in 7mm08 and it was less than $400. It shoots pretty well too. The Vanguard is the same action (or very similar) but a little bit better fit and finish in my opinion. If weight is an issue the Tikka T3 is a great gun for the money. It feels a bit 'cheap' but it shoots very well. Good luck with your search. I love Pinedale. Used to hunt unit 90 for antelope when I was a resident and that unit is one of my favorite places to hunt.

Thank you for all the input. I guess a little more info would help. I have a 30.06 as well that I shoot fairly well but I got the .300 win mag for elk and have just never gotten comfortable with it and started flinching even with lots of bench time trying to get comfortable. I don’t seem to have the problem as much with other guns although after shooting the 300 at the range I tend to flinch with anything. I know this is something that I have to work through and I will but I was also looking for something without a lot of kick that would help me make better shots. Randy mentions 7mm 08 in a YouTube video and I just went there. And the wife said I could get a new gun and I wasn’t gonna turn that down. Maybe I should just get a deer gun and use what I already have for elk. I just want to ethically take down animals and I just never seem comfortable with the 300 even though I have killed animals with it. Sorry for the long rant and thanks for the help. My wife seems to want to start hunting antelope and I have a 3 yr old and I just jumped to light recoil thinking they may be able to use it.

Thank you for all the input. I guess a little more info would help. I have a 30.06 as well that I shoot fairly well but I got the .300 win mag for elk and have just never gotten comfortable with it and started flinching even with lots of bench time trying to get comfortable. I don’t seem to have the problem as much with other guns although after shooting the 300 at the range I tend to flinch with anything. I know this is something that I have to work through and I will but I was also looking for something without a lot of kick that would help me make better shots. Randy mentions 7mm 08 in a YouTube video and I just went there. And the wife said I could get a new gun and I wasn’t gonna turn that down. Maybe I should just get a deer gun and use what I already have for elk. I just want to ethically take down animals and I just never seem comfortable with the 300 even though I have killed animals with it. Sorry for the long rant and thanks for the help. My wife seems to want to start hunting antelope and I have a 3 yr old and I just jumped to light recoil thinking they may be able to use it.
the 7mm08 is a fun rifle to shoot. It helped me to stop flinching. If used for the wife or kid you may want to look at a light grain bullet.

7mm08 would make for a great choice in that regard. Maybe look at a rifle that has an adjustable stock so it has the capabilities to fit everyone

Regardless of what you get, a good trigger job, nice recoil pad, and some dry fire practice will do you well.

If that 300 mag makes you flinch trade it in on a smaller caliber. In doing that you will be able to afford a nicer rifle than just buying another one. Stepping down to a 7mm rem mag, lots less recoil. Still plenty for elk.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back