Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

New howa superlite

Doublegunner

This morning I was looking at the new howa catalog and saw they have a new superlite rifle. Weighs 4.7 lbs and is chambered in 308 win and 6.5 creed. That's pretty darn light. Has anyone seen one of these in person yet?

I've been looking to kick the tires on one in .308. I think those Kryptek stock color options look fugly online, but they might look better in person. Aesthetics aside, that weight to price ratio is pretty hard to beat.

Is the Howa rep still on here? Wondering when these things will actually hit the shops?

Some places list them as “out of stock,” but I’m not sure that they’ve actually been in stock yet.

Going to need to be on top of your game to shoot that thing accurately. To light for me for field shooting
Good point. I’ve been getting great sub-BSOAB groups lately from a heavier gun (broad-side-of-a-barn). I’d probably be all over the place with this.

Not a Howa, but.
My son got a Kimber Mountain ascent in 6.5 Creedmore.
A nice light gun like 5 pounds, BUT.
The pencil-thin barrel will heat in two shots and never get back on paper till cold.
even something with light recoil will kick the snot out of you in a 5-pound gun. be careful what you wish for.

I like the howa rifles for the weight on the magnum cartridges.
I like to shoot as often as i can.
Practice, practice, practice, is not fun with a light rifle.
And the thin contour barrels walk after not a lot of shots from over heating.

Light rifles really show bad form
So how light is too light? My current backpacking gun is right at 9.5lbs scoped but even it seems whippy at times. I figured with the howa a guy could be scoped at like 6-7 lbs saving 2 pounds at least

So how light is too light? My current backpacking gun is right at 9.5lbs scoped but even it seems whippy at times. I figured with the howa a guy could be scoped at like 6-7 lbs saving 2 pounds at least
I like around 8-8.5lbs myself. Helps when I’m breathing heavy from lack of oxygen

Last edited:
With my kimber montana I am 6lbs 13 Oz in 30-06 with vx5 2-10 cds and talley lightweights. With this howa with a lightweight scope your probably easily under 6 lbs.

With my kimber montana I am 6lbs 13 Oz in 30-06 with vx5 2-10 cds and talley lightweights. With this howa with a lightweight scope your probably easily under 6 lbs.
Not to derail into an ultralight gun thread, but how’s that Kimber working out for you? I’d thought of one of those in a short action cartridge.

Not to derail into an ultralight gun thread, but how’s that Kimber working out for you? I’d thought of one of those in a short action cartridge.
I have two. A green stocked one in 6.5 creedmoor and a grey stocked one in 06. I bought the creemoor in 2019 and the 06 late last year. I got a smoking good deal on the 06. I bought it from a website that I have bought from before and they listed it as a used rifle. Montanas have been hard to find in 06 so I ordered it when i saw it. When I got it I was surprised that it was a brand new rifle. Apparently just old stock. Bolt was still taped up in its original box. I have been super happy with both. Both of mine are very accurate. Build quality is very high and the stock is impressive. I have no complaints. I liked the first one so much I bought a second one. I will say that when I got my first one my shooting ability was so so with it. I was getting groups of about 1.5 inches at 100. Not that great. Rather than blame the gun I started doing some research on shooting techniques with light rifles and learned a few basic things that dramatically shrunk my group sizes. Now with the creedmoor I can get .5 inch groups and .75 with the 06. I haven't worked much with the 06 but I think it can do better. Partly because I was hurrying setting it for last season. One thing I learned is that you can't simply shoot them like a 9 lb rifle. It just takes a different technique. Kimber rifles are interesting in that some people really like to criticize them but I think much of the criticism is from people who don't own them repeating what they saw online. I am fortunate to own many rifles but if I was forced to start selling them off these two would be the last to leave.

Just got it all put together yesterday, have picked up 3 different boxes of factory (still one more type on order) and am going to start barrel break in/sighting in tomorrow. I don’t reload anymore so want to test a wide assortment before getting the cds cut.
Have to get used to taking the steps to shooting a light rifle once again but that’s part of the fun! First Weatherby for me but the craftsmanship/detail looks good and it’s “guaranteed” to shoot so the rest will be on my back.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back